• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

::::~ Wheelbuilders thread ~::::

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Which wheels to buy

Would like advice on what wheels to buy.I've had mavic,bontarger,and hed aluminum clinchers. The back wheels start to crack and fail where spokes connect to rims.The heds lasted less then two years and 6k miles.Would like to stay around 1500 gram if possible.Thanks for any advice.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
rdh1119 said:
Would like advice on what wheels to buy.I've had mavic,bontarger,and hed aluminum clinchers. The back wheels start to crack and fail where spokes connect to rims.The heds lasted less then two years and 6k miles.Would like to stay around 1500 gram if possible.Thanks for any advice.

how much do you weigh?
wheels for everyday riding, or racing?
what are your road conditions?
how do you pedal mostly, mash or spin?

Wanting a 1500g wheel set is possible depending on how you answer these questions first.

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Which wheels to buy

Weigh 155lbs,Everyday riding with killer group rides,Road conditions are rough,Mostly mash also do a lot of climbing.All the group rides I do turn into races. Thanks

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
rdh1119 said:
Weigh 155lbs,Everyday riding with killer group rides,Road conditions are rough,Mostly mash also do a lot of climbing.All the group rides I do turn into races. Thanks

Ah, a lightweight that's hard on equipment. Have a friend that I rode and raced with through most of my 20's that's the same way, in fact he trains daily on 36h wheels. You can have lightweight high spoke count wheels built, I do this all the time, go custom instead of buying off the shelf that's one-size-fits-all and you'll be much happier.

For your rear wheel I wouldn't put you on anything less than a 32h.

rdh1119 said:

Where are you? Find a wheelbuilder locally, not just somebody that 'builds wheels'. Talk to them and have them design a wheelset specifically for you and your needs. Stay away from wheelsouttaboxes, but after your experience, you already know that, right?

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Which wheels to buy

I live in North Carolina. All local bike shops have no wheel builder they just sell out of box wheels. Any help with a good builder would be great.Thanks

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
rdh1119 said:
I live in North Carolina. All local bike shops have no wheel builder they just sell out of box wheels. Any help with a good builder would be great.Thanks

Myself or Bustedknuckle can help you with this. There are forum members on here that I've built for, both coasts and some in the middle. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Just got a set of wheels from RDV4ROUBAIX (Steve) and couldn't be happier!! He has another customer for sure. Very willing to talk and will build what is best for you! Quality speaks for itself. You could never get such quality out of a BOX!!

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
rph1960 said:
Just got a set of wheels from RDV4ROUBAIX (Steve) and couldn't be happier!! He has another customer for sure. Very willing to talk and will build what is best for you! Quality speaks for itself. You could never get such quality out of a BOX!!

Thanks rph, the compliment is much appreciated. Viva hand built customs. :D

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I am wanting to rebuild a set of antique 28" wheels.
Using spokecalc and measuring the spokes from the current wheels the lengths required are between 308 and 312mm.
I have had the LBS check local suppliers without success.
Does anyone know where I can buy some stainless spokes at these lengths?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Fenceline said:
I am wanting to rebuild a set of antique 28" wheels.
Using spokecalc and measuring the spokes from the current wheels the lengths required are between 308 and 312mm.
I have had the LBS check local suppliers without success.
Does anyone know where I can buy some stainless spokes at these lengths?

What are these wheels you speak of? Any reputable bike shop will supply you with spokes. Reputable being the key word, unless the spoke design is something discontinued or something funky.

Scratch that, the longest spoke that's available through my suppliers is 310mm. Need to know more about those wheels, pics too.

Scratch that again. DT is available up to 315mm.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I dont have any photos at hand but can take some and post them later if you are interested. The wheels are for my granny's bike that is coming up to 100yrs since manufacture.
The rear hub is an eadi coaster, front hub low flange rims are 28" rolled without flat side walls for braking surfaces.
The LBS has tried the local ditributors here in Aust for Sapim, and DT and was told that there is such limited demand they are no longer imported.
Do you know of an on line retailer that can supply these longer lengths?

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Accurtae Spoke Length

This post is aimed at RDV4Roubaix or Busted Knuckle. What are the implications of not having enough spoke thread in the nipple?
I have built up my own wheels (Campag Record Hubs, Ambrosio Nemisis Tubular rims with Plain Gauge spokes 3cross pattern allround).

I miss calculated the rim ERD using old nemisis data, therefore ended up with spokes that are approximately 1mm to short. This causes the spoke to finish approximatle 1mm inside of the nipple. Is this going to have an effect on the wheel strength and will I need to get the correct spoke length.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Fenceline said:
Sorry I dont have any photos at hand but can take some and post them later if you are interested. The wheels are for my granny's bike that is coming up to 100yrs since manufacture.
The rear hub is an eadi coaster, front hub low flange rims are 28" rolled without flat side walls for braking surfaces.
The LBS has tried the local ditributors here in Aust for Sapim, and DT and was told that there is such limited demand they are no longer imported.
Do you know of an on line retailer that can supply these longer lengths?

Give Abbotsford Cycles a try!

http://abbotsfordcycles.com.au/public/content/view/49/59/

I know up 310 to 315mm spokes aren't imported anymore but given the rarity of use of such length there would be shops that still have stock of them. Generally try all shops with a history of 15 years or more.

Fiemme said:
This post is aimed at RDV4Roubaix or Busted Knuckle. What are the implications of not having enough spoke thread in the nipple?
I have built up my own wheels (Campag Record Hubs, Ambrosio Nemisis Tubular rims with Plain Gauge spokes 3cross pattern allround).

I miss calculated the rim ERD using old nemisis data, therefore ended up with spokes that are approximately 1mm to short. This causes the spoke to finish approximatle 1mm inside of the nipple. Is this going to have an effect on the wheel strength and will I need to get the correct spoke length.

I'd say they are shorter than the 1mm short you mention. Ideal lengths, once the wheel is tensioned, should have the end of the spoke flush with the outside end of the nipple. If you mean that the spoke has 1mm from the end of the spoke to the outside of the nipple, that's OK.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
I'd say they are shorter than the 1mm short you mention. Ideal lengths, once the wheel is tensioned, should have the end of the spoke flush with the outside end of the nipple. If you mean that the spoke has 1mm from the end of the spoke to the outside of the nipple, that's OK.

Thanks that helps. I don't think that I will repalce the spokes then. I was told that if the spoke was not flush with or protruded from the top of the nipple, you were taking a risk of breaking the head of the nipple. I figured with a 32 spoke wheel 3cross pattern the likely hood of breaking the head of the nipple would be minimal if not non exisitance.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Benotti69 said:
Hey RDV4ROUBAIX how about posting some pics of the wheels you build. :)

My hubs made by EDCO, SAPIM Race spokes, Velocity A23 rims.....Helluva ride! :)

L1020405.JPG

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Bustedknuckle said:
Why inside pulling?

Why not inside pulling? The vast majority of my wheels are built with inside pulling (trailing) spokes.

With about 50 years of wheel building experience combined between the two of us I'll try to answer this is the most concise way possible to a fellow wheel slinger,... because it really doesn't matter. ;) If it makes you feel any better the rear wheel from that set is built with trailing spokes on the outside of the flange. :cool: