• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When did you know?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Swap their team in '22 and Pog takes 2+ minutes in the cobles' stage, and loses much less on the Granon and Hautacam. Ah and he also would take some seconds on Calais' stage by following WVA.

Vingegaard was the best climber in '22 and '23.
But TDF is not all about 10km+ climbs.
Swap their punctures and Vingegaard doesn't lose any time on the cobbles. If he goes hard all the way, he takes half a minute on Pogi in the last ITT.

Swap their punctures and Vingegaard doesn't lose any time on the cobbles. If he goes hard all the way, he takes half a minute on Pogi in the last ITT.
WVA took back 1 minute from Pog that day, after falling and chasing. Ving was already dropped before the puncture IIRC.
My point is that Pog was not outmatched in '22, have things played differently he could have won, because the route made this possible.
Which was not the case in '23, with that route the advantage Ving had with his climbing/tt could not be compensated, anyway you turn it.

Reactions: Salvarani
Brian Holm doesn't think he's the best rider and it's only because we're getting carried away and that Van der Poel is the best because he has the rainbow jersey, proof of being the best cyclist, and that Vingegaard is the best because he won the Tour and that winning multiple monuments every year while podiuming every Grand Tour in your career and winning the world ranking four years in a row doesn't count. Because we're just getting carried away by the show of the moment.

Sorry, I have had a too heavy dosis of his nonsense this month and had to vent again.

Reactions: Lui98
2nd best ?
joint best 1 day ?

kind of proves my point and contradicts 'in a class of his own'...dont you think ?

It's the combination that makes him special, the fact that he is a contender in basically every race he lines up at (excluding sprint stages, but I'm sure if he had to, he'd figure a way to win some of them)

Jonas is nowhere to be seen at one-day races, and MVDP can't climb a long hill to save his life - I like both of them as riders, but Pog is special because he can go toe-to-toe with both of them several times in the one season

Reactions: Bolder and AmRacer