• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 166 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
peloton said:
Is it common riders get to keep all the bikes when switching teams, or do they have to buy them for smaller cost etc?

Depends on the rider. Some riders are lucky to get the latest frames and latest equipment. Most riders also have to give back bikes at end of year for end of year sales. Garmin are currently selling Cervelos on their website.

I remember Wegelius after he retired had no bike as he had to give them back to lotto.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Depends on the rider. Some riders are lucky to get the latest frames and latest equipment. Most riders also have to give back bikes at end of year for end of year sales. Garmin are currently selling Cervelos on their website.

I remember Wegelius after he retired had no bike as he had to give them back to lotto.

Thanks, that's why I asked, many riders have to give the bikes back when changing teams etc.
Not very often do we see them selling old team bikes online

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
every year at the TDU sky dump the previous year's team bikes (which they race at the TDU) before they go back to europe... so i guess those riders dont get to keep them.

others do, depends on the team.

european riders selling bikes after the australian summer ended used to be a lot more common before the WT teams were required to be at the TDU

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
All this selling about bikes... isn´t that totally off-topic Afrank?
I mean posts of mine got deleted that had at least a little content related to the started thread...

If at all, this stuff belongs to the R.S.P.E.C.T. Horner or, if you will, R.E.S.P.E.C.T. sky threads in the RR section.

:confused:

I´d rather read more about the coming smackdown for Horners doping...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
peloton said:
Thanks, that's why I asked, many riders have to give the bikes back when changing teams etc.
Not very often do we see them selling old team bikes online

JTL sold all his Sky cycling clothes and related accessories on ebay, but i did not see him sell any bikes.

peloton said:
Is it common riders get to keep all the bikes when switching teams, or do they have to buy them for smaller cost etc?

Depends on the deal made.

Most "pro" racing in the U.S. is bro-deal, meaning you buy your team bike at a discount. It's not really a living wage if there is a wage.

Higher-end sponsorship like GrandPappy's means Trek gives him bikes to ride around, Paint, shmaint. It just depends on the deal.

^Meh...wouldn't read much into that victory. Look at the ridiculous gaps between all of the top 30+ finishers. These guys were spread all over the road, there was no bunch/peloton left anywhere near the finish.

Typical smaller race with no teams to work together, hence, a free for all.

staubsauger said:
Horner winning the Tour would be the greatest victory for cycling since this guy who did beat cancer returned as the worlds greatest grand tour champion of all time!:D:p

Well if there is any truth to the theory that the UCI picks winners, then surely Horner has no hope? I mean Cycling's credibility will be shot to pieces if a near 44 year old wins the biggest bike race in the world. That can't be good for business. Cookson are you listening?

I think its also telling Horner has had difficulty finding teams after his Vuelta win. That tells me those inside the sport also think he's treading on thin ice.

Seems like a nice bloke but please just retire gracefully.

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Too late for that...

Cookster15 said:
Well if there is any truth to the theory that the UCI picks winners, then surely Horner has no hope? I mean Cycling's credibility will be shot to pieces if a near 44 year old wins the biggest bike race in the world. That can't be good for business. Cookson are you listening?

I think its also telling Horner has had difficulty finding teams after his Vuelta win. That tells me those inside the sport also think he's treading on thin ice.

Seems like a nice bloke but please just retire gracefully.

Ha!:eek::cool:;):rolleyes:

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
staubsauger said:
Horner winning the Tour would be the greatest victory for cycling since this guy who did beat cancer returned as the worlds greatest grand tour champion of all time!:D:p

Horner winning the tour would be the most hillarious doped up moment in the history of the sport. It would be great.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Current riders would be a key target. He has told friends he has dirt on Horner.

OMG. RR you have been always on target. Hope that´s true for one last time... :)
What an irony that would be, if LA, LA of all :eek:, brings down the worst doper, the biggest alien rider, the most ridiculous clown of them all.
The unthinkable would happen: LA going from one of the few I hate (just two years ago), trou I-dont-care-anymore (current situation), to completely forgiving him all & everything, to wishing him all the best... Yeah LA bring the worst of them down, start with Horner.
Wow, wow, wow... The clinic writing 10.000 pages of hate against Sky/Froome, but their silent hero Horner is the first going down. Incredible! That would be like x-mas & birthday & what else all together... :)

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
OMG. RR you have been always on target. Hope that´s true for one last time... :)
What an irony that would be, if LA, LA of all :eek:, brings down the worst doper, the biggest alien rider, the most ridiculous clown of them all.
The unthinkable would happen: LA going from one of the few I hate (just two years ago), trou I-dont-care-anymore (current situation), to completely forgiving him all & everything, to wishing him all the best... Yeah LA bring the worst of them down, start with Horner.
Wow, wow, wow... The clinic writing 10.000 pages of hate against Sky/Froome, but their silent hero Horner is the first going down. Incredible! That would be like x-mas & birthday & what else all together... :)

Horner is essentially retired now. He might cause some havoc on the US race scene, but thats it.

We really need more from Armstrong. Enough to cause riddles so the clean out process continues.

glassmoon said:
I wouldn't mind Pappy win the Tour. The sport has been joke for decades so why not go "all the way" :D

What a great story for ASO too. Think about all those 40-somethings that would tune in! They have money to spend too!!!

The guy finished top-20 in 2014 despite terrible injuries earlier in the year. Am I right that the 2015 route is good for Papy? Go top-5 in 2015 and watch the ratings soar!!!

#lethornerride