• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 164 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
In the U.S? Toxic doper isn't a problem. He's got fans, and the federation is okay with doping. It's all good.

Correct.

Jelly Belly is probably the best fit for him. Their leader Tvetcov is looking for a Euro contract and JellyBelly is based in SoCal so Horner living in San Diego is a win/win situation.

And if they dont have the cash, maybe they can pay him in Jelly beans since he is a fast food and junk food lover anyway. :D

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Jancouver said:
Correct.

Jelly Belly is probably the best fit for him. Their leader Tvetcov is looking for a Euro contract and JellyBelly is based in SoCal so Horner living is San Diego is a win/win situation.

And if they dont have the cash, maybe they can pay him in Jelly beans since he is a fast food and junk food lover anyway. :D

Can you imagine? Fast Freddie and Pappy DS'd by Van Haute. The more things change the more they stay the same....

From 1985;

Cyclists Pressured To Participate In 'Blood Doping' Bicycling

Many of their parents' feelings of pride have turned to confusion, frustration and disgust. The most outspoken of those contacted yesterday was Frank Van Haute, father of points-race competitor Danny Van Haute. He said his son apparently supplied the impetus for the "blood enhancement."

"I don't know why it took so long for this to come out," the elder Van Haute said from his home in Chicago. "I was out there in Los Angeles for the Games. Everybody knew about it. From what I understand, if you didn't do it, you wouldn't be on the team."

The elder Van Haute supplied Danny's phone number, but he wasn't available for comment. Neither were the other implicated medalists. But Van Haute's father explained that Danny first had learned of the procedure during a trip to Poland with the Junior Team.

So before the Olympic Trials on July 7 in Colorado Springs, the younger Van Haute arranged privately to have some of his blood removed and stored. Several days before the Trials, he had it re-infused.

The younger Van Haute went on to win the points race in the Trials. But he didn't participate in the controversial "blood enhancing" procedure, which used the blood of relatives several days before the Games, according to statements made early this week by Team Physician Dr. Thomas Dickson of Allentown.

"When Danny came back from a trip to Poland with the National Junior Team several years ago, he told me all about it," the elder Van Haute said. "All of the Eastern Bloc riders were using 'blood doping.' I think that's where (National Coaching Director) Eddie B (Borysewicz) first got the idea. He was managing the boys. But I heard nothing about it for a long time afterwards. But in Los Angeles everybody knew. The whole USCF knew."

Borysewicz, once again, was unavailable for comment at the U.S. Cycling Federation Center in Colorado Springs, Colo.

"From what I understand, most of the guys did it," the elder Van Haute said. "But I don't think any of the girls did. It all took place in a motel room. Danny wasn't involved. He was kinda scared of the whole thing. He wasn't sure about taking someone elses blood.

"But I don't understand why everyone is making such a big thing out of this. I don't know anybody taking dope. Everyone was tested for that during the Olympics. Everyone passed.

"I just don't understand why all the guys (competitors) are being blamed. I don't think that's right. Some one from the USCF and the coaching staff should take some responsibility."

And they are.

"I and our attorneys (Brian Geddes and Barton Enoch of Colorado Springs, Colo.) will issue a report at the next board meeting (Jan. 18-20 in Colorado Springs)," USCF Executive Director David Prouty said yesterday. "The board will then make a statement and judgement. Generally speaking, it's fair to say we do not condone it (blood enhancement). We have compared notes with the United States Olympic Committee and they've been very co-operative.

"Eddie Borysewicz is not suspended. Again, that gets to the substance of the issue, and I'd rather not go into it. The board will review that issue during the meeting.

"That's what is so regrettable about this publicity. I hope the people study the issue on the merits of what happened. I hope they just don't react to the media. I regret that the publicity was premature. We would have liked to conclude the investigation without being in a fishbowl."

F. Don Miller, executive director of the USOC, said it was "probably the feeling of the U.S. Olympic Committee" that the problem was created by trainers, coaches, and doctors. He believed the riders shouldn't be forced to give up their medals.

Miller said Dr. Irving Dardik, chairman of the USOC's Sports Medicine Council, was leading an investigation of the incident. The report will be submitted to USOC President William E. Simon.

"These athletes are under tremendous pressures applied to them by their coaches and by their peers," Dardik told the Associated Press in an interview from his Basking Ridge, N.J., office. "There's a fear that if they don't win, they'll be letting everyone down."

http://articles.mcall.com/1985-01-12/sports/2463039_1_blood-doping-olympic-trials-elder

Popcorn is ready :D

Scott SoCal said:
Popcorn is ready :D

Honestly, I've not really heard anything untoward about Jelly Belly. Sure, everyone knows the Van Haute strory from way back....but since then.... Bergman...and Chodroff.

If they are running a program, they are doing a very poor job and aren't really getting any results out of it. I mean, compare them to Toyota-United if you want to see how a team run program works.

IzzyStradlin said:
Honestly, I've not really heard anything untoward about Jelly Belly. Sure, everyone knows the Van Haute strory from way back....but since then.... Bergman...and Chodroff.

If they are running a program, they are doing a very poor job and aren't really getting any results out of it. I mean, compare them to Toyota-United if you want to see how a team run program works.

C'mon! The jersey is great! Jelly beans! Cyclists need sugars! As long as there's no doping program and no pressure to dope, it's all good.

Horner would be a terrible acquisition for Jelly Belly. He'd be back to his old ways of gearing the other riders up to keep up with him.

What team took UHC's place in sweeping podiums at continental racing USAC wants to make sure nobody watches?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Great news. Horner might not be finished yet.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/09/l...orts-that-talks-have-ended-with-chris-horner/

“I think the info that La Gazzetta released was not correct,” team spokesman Andrea Appiani told CyclingTips Wednesday. “Under UCI rules, before the end of the month the team has to record ten contracts of riders. So in this moment we are okay with these ten contracts.

“Meanwhile we are waiting to define the the team budget. We are in no hurry. As soon as the budget will be defined, we will be able to evaluate the position of Chris Horner.”

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
If Sky don't want Froome to go against Contador in all three GTs like Stinkov proposed, they can sign Horner and throw him in. No problem for Papi.

Dude! Papi could do all 4 GT's in a year and could easily do all 5, after Cookson makes the Tour if Britain a GT in December.

Le breton said:
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=features/2005/hamilton_appeal

There was an article about it in cyclingnews, with a graph of the OFF score (Hamilton's?)
I printed it, will look for it tomorrow.

I just by chance found my printed from cyclingnews "first edition cycling news, June 22, 2007" with graphs of haemoglobin and hematocrit vs time between 12/12/2006 and 29/05/2007 for CSC riders.

Right now I'm quite busy and don't have time to copy it.
Anyway interested people will know where that info could be found at one time.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Le breton said:
I just by chance found my printed from cyclingnews "first edition cycling news, June 22, 2007" with graphs of haemoglobin and hematocrit vs time between 12/12/2006 and 29/05/2007 for CSC riders.

Nice. Now if we could just get at the raw data....

el oh el about the "$" test after intense competition. That's a 20% drop in Hct.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
Dude! Papi could do all 4 GT's in a year and could easily do all 5, after Cookson makes the Tour if Britain a GT in December.

4 GTs???

Is that 2 TdFs?

I doubt Papi could do all 3, the geriatric crashes too much:D

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
4 GTs???

Is that 2 TdFs?

I doubt Papi could do all 3, the geriatric crashes too much:D

1) Tour of California

2)Tour de France
3)Giro

4)Tour of Britain (although that will take over the 3rd spot when Cookson upgrades it again)

5)Vuelta.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
1) Tour of California

2)Tour de France
3)Giro

4)Tour of Britain (although that will take over the 3rd spot when Cookson upgrades it again)

5)Vuelta.

Would be pretty good if Horner won the tour of britain. Any british continental teams out there?

Le breton said:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/jun07/jun22news

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
thrawn said:
What are you talking about? Horner, like the rest of the new generation of English speaking cyclists is clean :D

I would agree on that. Especially with young athlets (the "new young" is at least until age 36, since even clean Pinotti improved with age) who formed the new generation.

OTOH, Horner is from the oldest generations still riding as a pro. Didn´t he start in the 1960s? I mean this guy has dope experience from at least 3 generations. Knows and does it all from A to Z. :D