• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 170 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
DirtyWorks said:
YES!!

Comedy gold awaits when a 40-something Continental pro is beating up on the visiting WT riders and never testing positive. Make it so!!! #LetHornerRide!

IMO, he could have had a second-tier ride if he brought his own sponsor. He just doesn't seem to have a plan off the bike.

Horner 4ever

What's that, it has already been taken?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
He is an enigma. No doubt about it.

Regardless of whatever type of program that he may be on, it is still astounding that he can smoke most of the field at his age, even after serious injury.

The dude is two years older than Vaughters.

Imagine if JV were performing like that? :eek:

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Well this might not be the smackdown, but it is certainly a smackdown.

Someone is not happy at all about Pappy.

What One Guy From The US Peloton Thinks About Chris Horner’s Return
http://kennettron.wordpress.com/2014/12/15/what-one-guy-from-the-us-peloton-thinks-about-chris-horners-return/

With every race Horner competes in, he’s taking away a spot that could go to a clean, deserving athlete.
We’re letting a cheater take the reigns of a clean team, beat up on clean competition, and there’s absolutely no public outrage. I don’t get it. Why aren’t more people speaking up about this? He’s essentially picking our (nearly empty) pockets and all we do is turn them inside out for him, smile, and thank him for blessing us with his grace. It’s theft. It’s a case of Mancebo all over again. A clean athlete will lose almost every time when up against two decades-worth of EPO-fueled training and racing and we’re going to sit back and let it happen like cowards.
Foxxy approves this message. :)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Granville57 said:
Well this might not be the smackdown, but it is certainly a smackdown.

Someone is not happy at all about Pappy.

What One Guy From The US Peloton Thinks About Chris Horner’s Return
http://kennettron.wordpress.com/2014/12/15/what-one-guy-from-the-us-peloton-thinks-about-chris-horners-return/

So does this guy. Looking at the guys that "like" the comment it includes most of the good racers from our area. We try to grow 'em clean here.

Oldman said:
So does this guy. Looking at the guys that "like" the comment it includes most of the good racers from our area. We try to grow 'em clean here.

Kennett did a good thing! he works/worked PT at our local cyclists' espresso place here..he is a great guy just the nicest.
I wish the rest of the younger guys could be as brave and outspoken as he..or that a large majority of those who wish to ride clean could band together.

We’re letting a cheater take the reigns of a clean team, beat up on clean competition, and there’s absolutely no public outrage. I don’t get it. Why aren’t more people speaking up about this? He’s essentially picking our (nearly empty) pockets and all we do is turn them inside out for him, smile, and thank him for blessing us with his grace. It’s theft. It’s a case of Mancebo all over again. A clean athlete will lose almost every time when up against two decades-worth of EPO-fueled training and racing and we’re going to sit back and let it happen like cowards.

There is a "You're clean, what SHOULD you say..." thread. Well...this. This is what you should say.

Full stop.

There is also this gem:

The problem with being a fanboy is that you set yourself up for disaster by continuously letting yourself get fooled by people you know aren’t being truthful. Being a fan of the sport is good as long as you analyze every performance and ask yourself, “Was that real?” If it wasn’t and you’re still rooting for the guy, then you’ve transitioned from fan into fanboy–someone who idolizes and cheers for an entity solely because that’s the popular thing to do.

Maybe I should have posted this in the Sky thread.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
IzzyStradlin said:
Horner has left none. So I'm not sure who would rat him out.

OK. Agree... So Horner is not a house of cards, but a single card... Well then, let LA tear that card apart*. :D

(* still hoping RR was correct about this rumours)

webvan said:
and continue to cry over Ulle's demise !

FYI, I am long over it. Justice is done (all involved big guys from that period at least served some time). Rasmussen, and Ullrich are not the lone scapegoats anymore.

Granville57 said:
Imagine if JV were performing like that?

Netserk said:
He's older than Jan and about the same age as Lance.

It's so absurd that it's hilarious

Imagine Jan and Lance still getting 1 and 2 in the Tour 15 years of battling for the Tour victory!

Yep, it´s grotesque...

Granville57 said:

Absolutely. 100% :)

red_flanders said:
Maybe I should have posted this in the Sky thread.

... and finally we have the connection with Sky. It was over-due. ;)

Granville57 said:
He is an enigma. No doubt about it.

Regardless of whatever type of program that he may be on, it is still astounding that he can smoke most of the field at his age, even after serious injury.

The dude is two years older than Vaughters.

Imagine if JV were performing like that? :eek:

I'd like a little less "performing" out of JV in the clothing department. There is classy, then there is clown college.

Guy needs to chill out with the clashing patterns, bow ties, and professor spectacles.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
"FYI, I am long over it. Justice is done (all involved big guys from that period at least served some time). Rasmussen, and Ullrich are not the lone scapegoats anymore"

Justice? Justice for who? Nearly everyone racing was having a PED festival.
What has changed? have riders stopped doping? have you seen the news.

I don't see justice I just see scape goats used as token gestures by The UCI to try and keep the media happy with a show of cleaning the house. It does not work. You cannot control riders doping so the UCI needs to handle things smarter...like I posted earlier, Armstrong is evil , Zidane is still a hero and both doped and reached the pinnacle of their sport.

ray j willings said:
"FYI, I am long over it. Justice is done (all involved big guys from that period at least served some time). Rasmussen, and Ullrich are not the lone scapegoats anymore"

Justice? Justice for who? Nearly everyone racing was having a PED festival.
What has changed? have riders stopped doping? have you seen the news.

I don't see justice I just see scape goats used as token gestures by The UCI to try and keep the media happy with a show of cleaning the house. It does not work. You cannot control riders doping so the UCI needs to handle things smarter...like I posted earlier, Armstrong is evil , Zidane is still a hero and both doped and reached the pinnacle of their sport.

Being caught doping never effected Maradona's superstar status

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Fair enough.

I'll temper that thought by recognizing that this is coming from a guy who can turn a thread about basket-weaving into a 12 paragraph diatribe against Horner. :)

Fair enough either. :) Even though "diatribe" is a little harsh unless I can call your rants vs Froome/sky the same way. ;)

RiccoDinko said:
Horner will rack up a bunch of domestic victories in 2015, be back in the WT to win the Vuelta in 2016:)

I doubt it. He's the new Francisco Mancebo. Mancebo is the perfect example of a guy who just cleaned up at continental racing, somehow never even getting a pro continental ride.

I believe it was Operation Puerto that somehow doomed him to continental racing. Horner is taking Mancebo's place in the U.S.

My wild guess is somehow Horner's squad will not get the invites for the high ranking U.S. events.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
IzzyStradlin said:
My prediction is that he will podium a GT this year. A protour team will be desperate enough by April.

DirtyWorks said:
My wild guess is somehow Horner's squad will not get the invites for the high ranking U.S. events.

That's the catch. ToC will be the biggest platform for Chris, but he'll have to get the invite first.

It will be fun to watch the story unfold.

I look forward to hearing Phil & Paul's insightful commentary on the matter, should Horner be allowed to line up at the start. :)

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
IzzyStradlin said:
My prediction is that he will podium a GT this year. A protour team will be desperate enough by April.

Yeah, a Vuelta ride might not be such a surprise. Not impossible that someone makes a move in the June transfer window if he wins California.

stop dreaming guys

a rider of so high class as horner wouldn't had end up on airgaswhateva in the first place if not being blacklisted big time by uci. no way.

so yes for me, a mid-year transfer to world tour would be huge surprise. and also being invited to utah,cali or colorado.

jens_attacks said:
stop dreaming guys

a rider of so high class as horner wouldn't had end up on airgaswhateva in the first place if not being blacklisted big time by uci. no way.

so yes for me, a mid-year transfer to world tour would be huge surprise. and also being invited to utah,cali or colorado.

Last year he was able to secure a ride in Lampre, I don't get it what is the difference between last year and now according to UCI.

TRENDING THREADS