• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
LOL. The german commentators just said Horner is the first rider ever w/o a contract for the next season (so it seems Froome did sign a new one during the Vue11).
The list of "greatness":
Oldest ever stage winner in a GT, oldest winner overall, just 15 race days before Vuelta, zero palamares before age 38, taped-(thus still injured)-out-of-the-saddle grandpa...

OMG, pro sports never saw such a farce before, not in fixed boxing or wrestling events, not at the BlackSox scandal. This one is a new low...
Check the books better.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
LOL. The german commentators just said Horner is the first rider ever w/o a contract for the next season (so it seems Froome did sign a new one during the Vue11).
The list of "greatness":
Oldest ever stage winner in a GT, oldest winner overall, just 15 race days before Vuelta, zero palamares before age 38, taped-(thus still injured)-out-of-the-saddle grandpa...

OMG, pro sports never saw such a farce before, not in fixed boxing or wrestling events, not at the BlackSox scandal. This one is a new low...

You mean this month?

Yeah, Horner rode pretty well in the EPO age and the Armstrong age. Just wasn't winning anything big. Tour de Suisse stage and some other stuff. Also, he was a useful domestique. Didn't have the toughness yet that comes with age.

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Impressive ride by a young lad!

I may sound stupid now, but this is something I have been thinking about for the last few days/weeks. Why do a 41 year old dominate like this, if the peloton is as doped up as some on the clinic forums assumes, it doesn't make sense. Im in serious disbelief of the performances of mr. grandpa, but for me, this is an indication that the gc-riders (behind grandpa) are cleaner than what the clinic forum portray them to be. Am I just being incredibly naive? Why would an old doper beat younger dopers like that? Enlighten me, please!

Question: If you're using something that is not on the banned substances list, is that just spiritual doping, but not doping in the technical sense?
Will be really cool to find out what the miracle substance has been of the past 36 months. 40+ year old dudes just should not be able to hang with the best climbers over a GT. It's against Nature.

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Lundefugl said:

I may sound stupid now, but this is something I have been thinking about for the last few days/weeks. Why do a 41 year old dominate like this, if the peloton is as doped up as some on the clinic forums assumes, it doesn't make sense. Im in serious disbelief of the performances of mr. grandpa, but for me, this is an indication that the gc-riders (behind grandpa) are cleaner than what the clinic forum portray them to be. Am I just being incredibly naive? Why would an old doper beat younger dopers like that? Enlighten me, please!

Not everyone has access to the same drugs. If all drugs were available to everyone their dollar value would be minimal.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Lundefugl said:

I may sound stupid now, but this is something I have been thinking about for the last few days/weeks. Why do a 41 year old dominate like this, if the peloton is as doped up as some on the clinic forums assumes, it doesn't make sense. Im in serious disbelief of the performances of mr. grandpa, but for me, this is an indication that the gc-riders (behind grandpa) are cleaner than what the clinic forum portray them to be. Am I just being incredibly naive? And if so, why? Enlighten me, please!
Just enjoy the freak show. Dont worry, both Chrisses dont either.

I will name my next son Chris, thats for sure. Beast Horner. El Angliru, pffff, Utah climbs are much harder. Wonder what poor old Blood Doper Tommy Deee is thinking know.

Lundefugl said:

Plenty of people have asked the question, no real answers yet... how does age affect ability. If the difference between 35 and 42 is only ~1% then that can easily be made up by taking a few more risks than the others when it comes to needles.

As said a few posts above, it wouldn't matter what age Horner is, his performances are off the charts and obvious doping. The whole age thing is poorly understood but seems some need to use it as part of the justification.

Ferminal said:
Plenty of people have asked the question, no real answers yet... how does age affect ability. If the difference between 35 and 42 is only ~1% then that can easily be made up by taking a few more risks than the others when it comes to needles.

As said a few posts above, it wouldn't matter what age Horner is, his performances are off the charts and obvious doping. The whole age thing is poorly understood but seems some need to use it as part of the justification.
Well, the age mostly adds to the comedy, but it is a very real factor none the less. Look at people like Voigt and Rebellin who are the same age as Horner, still very competitive, but still obviously far from their best level.

Horner has just got better and better the older he is.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Yes, The Horner foundation.

"We are cureing age!"

The best so far

Zam_Olyas said:
He had a fog wind.

a close 2nd

Lundefugl said:

B/C the other riders are feared since the AC incident. So they tried to dope less. Now they´ll wait if the grandpa (who had nothing to fear since having no contract) gets popped. If not, we won´t see a 41 year old winning next year, but plenty of new climbing records. Welcome to the new era.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Well, the age mostly adds to the comedy, but it is a very real factor none the less. Look at people like Voigt and Rebellin who are the same age as Horner, still very competitive, but still obviously far from their best level.

Horner has just got better and better the older he is.

Besides he´s still not 100%, having no palamares before age 38, being contract less, and having only 15 race days before this Vuelta, the age is the biggest alarm signal.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Cervelo77 said:
Question: If you're using something that is not on the banned substances list, is that just spiritual doping, but not doping in the technical sense?
Will be really cool to find out what the miracle substance has been of the past 36 months. 40+ year old dudes just should not be able to hang with the best climbers over a GT. It's against Nature.

http://list.wada-ama.org/prohibited-all-times/prohibited-substances/

Any pharmacological substance which is not addressed by any of the subsequent sections of the List and with no current approval by any governmental regulatory health authority for human therapeutic use (e.g drugs under pre-clinical or clinical development or discontinued, designer drugs, substances approved only for veterinary use) is prohibited.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Something tells me that if Wonderboy were still around, this is the type of performances we'd see from him. Maybe he just gave everything he had in his basement to Grandpa.

TRENDING THREADS