• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tyler'sTwin said:
He also told RR and Veloclinic that Horner's biopassport is freakin ridiculous.

I don't understand the details of the bio-passport and how the data is used, but I am curious how so many people know what a given rider's bp numbers are. I would have thought that would be contrary to the point.

I've heard a lot of discussion from JV alluding to seeing rider numbers, but I'mc curious what the exact rules and processes are by which a DS would get to see a rider's bp records. Anyone have that info?

red_flanders said:
I don't understand the details of the bio-passport and how the data is used, but I am curious how so many people know what a given rider's bp numbers are. I would have thought that would be contrary to the point.

I've heard a lot of discussion from JV alluding to seeing rider numbers, but I'mc curious what the exact rules and processes are by which a DS would get to see a rider's bp records. Anyone have that info?

Certain teams won't sign a rider without seeing it.

MatParker117 said:
Certain teams won't sign a rider without seeing it.

Apparently–and I appreciate the response. I just don't understand under what conditions the bp is released and who has the authority to view it. Just looking for the specifics of what is allowed in this regard and when. I ask because I thought the UCI didn't release this info to anyone, but apparently they release it to some people under some circumstances.

I'm not really expecting there to be a logical explanation, it is the UCI. Just hoping I guess.

red_flanders said:
Apparently–and I appreciate the response. I just don't understand under what conditions the bp is released and who has the authority to view it. Just looking for the specifics of what is allowed in this regard and when. I ask because I thought the UCI didn't release this info to anyone, but apparently they release it to some people under some circumstances.

I'm not really expecting there to be a logical explanation, it is the UCI. Just hoping I guess.

The data is released at the request of the rider which is then sent to a team expert who recommends whether of not to sign a rider based on the data.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Tyler'sTwin said:
He also told RR and Veloclinic that Horner's biopassport is freakin ridiculous.

So Horner has a biopassport that should be ring alarm bells and it's not. Hmmm, wonder how that works? UCI really do bank loads. McQuaid must have been wanting to be a billionaire............

Libertine Seguros said:
Four years, actually. Before 2010 he would usually get injured at the first sign of good form.

He completely dominated the US peloton in years before that. Now I'll grant you he doesn't look like the same rider after a couple of years in Europe.

I'm not trying to suggest I think he's clean. Just that it's not like the guy doesn't have what it takes to win.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
So Horner has a biopassport that should be ring alarm bells and it's not. Hmmm, wonder how that works? UCI really do bank loads. McQuaid must have been wanting to be a billionaire............

Maybe there were just plausible explanations to variations like surgery, the blood clot, medication with possible side effects on hematopoesis.

And a 41 year young is not going to have the same flat line bloodvalues like younger riders i guess they consider this by giving him a bit a longer leash.

Horner could keep up with a doped T.Dekker, (probably doped) Anton and (obviously doped, but not caugt) Gadret in Romandie. Dropping obvious dopers like Kashechkin and Savoldelli and co back in 2007. I doubt he has changed over the years or and i doubt even more he was clean earlier in his career seeing the teams he raced for.

The obvious 'evil european dopers' story doesn't fly. (story doesn't fly anyway seeing the amount of proven american dopers by now)

Dekker_Tifosi said:
The obvious 'evil european dopers' story doesn't fly. (story doesn't fly anyway seeing the amount of proven american dopers by now)

What "evil european dopers" story are you talking about? I haven't seen anyone claim that, especially since the last clean American rider was probably Lemond.

Last clean Dutch rider was probably Hans Dekkers though...the one born in 1918.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Alpechraxler said:
Maybe there were just plausible explanations to variations like surgery, the blood clot, medication with possible side effects on hematopoesis.

And a 41 year young is not going to have the same flat line bloodvalues like younger riders i guess they consider this by giving him a bit a longer leash.

The blood clot and the surgery probably happened after Vaughters saw his blood values. (Why would Vaughters ask to see the values of a rider and be granted them if it wasn't part of a negotiation to join the team? Why would he want a 41 year old rider who'd just had a blood clot and surgery?)

Knee surgery seems to be the new big thing at Radioshack, first Bakelants, now Horner.

Who will be the first to get Badzilla infection in the knee?

Benotti69 said:
Have you seen his passport Benotti69? Or are you willing to believe Vaughters on this one?

Which one is it?

Let's put it this way, he might be doping, but he has always been talented.

So he rode for dodgy teams. Which team is not dodgy? Or Bassons was doping to the gills in Festina? Or Moncoutie in Cofidis?

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Have you seen his passport Benotti69? Or are you willing to believe Vaughters on this one?

Which one is it?

Let's put it this way, he might be doping, but he has always been talented.

So he rode for dodgy teams. Which team is not dodgy? Or Bassons was doping to the gills in Festina? Or Moncoutie in Cofidis?

How often does JV accuse an active rider of doping - and not just in the past? It doesn't happen. Horner must be a joke.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Cookster15 said:
I lost respect for Horner when he joined Discovery at 36 years of age and by 37 years of age (2009) he developed into the "2nd best climber in the world". He seems like a nice bloke and popular with team mates but seriously :(

Yeah talk about Froome's performances being unbelievable :rolleyes:

darwin553 said:
Yeah talk about Froome's performances being unbelievable :rolleyes:

That would have been pretty funny if it didn't point out how ridiculous Froome's rise has been. At least Horner was a good rider and a winner before he joined the dark side. Functionally no difference, they're both IMO clearly doing something untoward to be where they are, but it makes Horner easier for me to stomach somehow. Plus he's pretty funny and a good interview.

I hope Horner takes the whole enchilada. It would put an exclamation mark on the year of the full genius. Plus it will be hilarious to watch the Skrybabies cast doubt on Horner while keeping the faith with Froome.

Let this new and clean era of cycling march on. Yippee-kai-yay, M'f'kers. Bald dude power!

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
red_flanders said:
That would have been pretty funny if it didn't point out how ridiculous Froome's rise has been. At least Horner was a good rider and a winner before he joined the dark side. Functionally no difference, they're both IMO clearly doing something untoward to be where they are, but it makes Horner easier for me to stomach somehow. Plus he's pretty funny and a good interview.

I don't know...I couldn't remember Horner having team leading potential at a GT before he joined JB at age 36 ;)