• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Damn wtf did I just watch lol that might be even more crazy then Froome's accelaration on the Mont Ventoux... Hell it's even crazier then Geswiss 1994 Fleche Wallone lol -.-

Alphabet said:
Coming soon: Horner vs. The Dawg, 2014 Tour.

Who wins?

Horner definitely Froome is still to young. Horner is peaking now :D

Horner is just another proof of reaching peak performance after 35 & beyond--42 is the new 28:D

His current level is obviously an eye opener-but If he fades-as he should -from the coming weeks, then I'd give him a free pass-otherwise his azz needs to be thrown off the race before Madrid....

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Horner is just another proof of reaching peak performance after 35 & beyond--42 is the new 28:D

His current level is obviously an eye opener-but If he fades-as he should -from the coming weeks, then I'd give him a free pass-otherwise his azz needs to be thrown off the race before Madrid....

True how can u sell this to the general public? Marginal gains and nice pillows won't be enough to defend this kind of performance..

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
When is Lances ban up? maybe he will get a grand tour podium in his 50s.

After all, its now normal for clean riders in their 40s to climb faster than dopers of the past.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
The only person I can recall who was constantly out of the saddle and could go Kms out of the saddle was Wonderboy. Has anyone tried riding out of the saddle on 6-8%? Its hard. And do do it for Kms? you have to have some help. I also remember this was a guy who said LA was the cleanest.

I think its one last swamsong, what has he to lose?? Life time ban at 42? funny. But the fact that he is getting away with it at 42 means it really good stuff. I seem to have the feeling that the Sky stuff has spread around.....Sky now seems so ordinary.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Honestly, I don't know how he raced back then, and what he could afford, though it doesn't seem as though he had the money to afford much. His teams weren't exactly top-notch. The guy was racing for Webcor in 2004, while the Euros were racing on Postal/Discovery, Once, or whatever. Not much comparison there in terms of budget.

But maybe, while others were getting blood bags, EPO, and testosterone/HGH cocktails, Horner was also doping with some dodgy GNC supplements.

Actually, you're way off base on that one. The first thing every domestic pro learns is that EPO and test are neither expensive nor are they hard to get. There are plenty of guys who will bring it up from Mexico and are more than willing to sell it to you. And let's face it, Horner new pretty much all there was to know about doping by the time he landed back at Webcor. It's long been noted how a bunch of amateur Cat 1's suddenly started riding a lot better once Horner got there. So, this tale that Horner was taking cough medicine while the others where on full programs is just that: a tale. Also, remember that while the budgets may be smaller, testing in domestic races almost non-existent, both OOC and IC, but particularly IC. Most races don't have the money to test, and the riders know it.

Not saying he's not a talented guy, or that with a "level playing field" he wouldn't be one of the best. And he seems to be a pretty good guy. But let's not let that get in the way of reason here, or pretend that hard-core doping doesn't go on with guys on small teams. It does.

131313 said:
Actually, you're way off base on that one. The first thing every domestic pro learns is that EPO and test are neither expensive nor are they hard to get. There are plenty of guys who will bring it up from Mexico and are more than willing to sell it to you. And let's face it, Horner new pretty much all there was to know about doping by the time he landed back at Webcor. It's long been noted how a bunch of amateur Cat 1's suddenly started riding a lot better once Horner got there. So, this tale that Horner was taking cough medicine while the others where on full programs is just that: a tale. Also, remember that while the budgets may be smaller, testing in domestic races almost non-existent, both OOC and IC, but particularly IC. Most races don't have the money to test, and the riders know it.

Not saying he's not a talented guy, or that with a "level playing field" he wouldn't be one of the best. And he seems to be a pretty good guy. But let's not let that get in the way of reason here, or pretend that hard-core doping doesn't go on with guys on small teams. It does.
+1

At danish television the commentators( Rolf Sorensen was a bit silent) talked about how the peloton is cleaner now,than it was in the past. Since there is no super teams around...

What a day to pick, for a statement like that:D

TRENDING THREADS