• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 173 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Cookster15 said:
Oh dear I log in today and read "nice guy" Chris Horner is still making waves. The freak show goes on. Yes they might all be doping but a competitive 44 year old pro still beating his chest removes any cloak of plausibility from Pro Cycling in the eyes of non cycling public and journalists. Please retire Chris to save us all from further embarrassment defending this sport against non cycling fans.

Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion Chris is motivated by greed and is milking the sport for everything he can get before retirement. When you are under 35 its plausible. When you are 44 it's certainly not. Does anyone have published papers about athletes of Horner's age performing at world class level? In past in this forum some suggested Horner was just a statistical outlier. I don't buy it.

Even a doped up Horner would be a major statistical outlier at his age. I don't think anyone here is under the impression that he's the only one in the peloton getting away with some stuff. So with numerous much younger riders doping too, how would a guy who's almost 44 keep up? I don't believe for a second that he's got better PEDs than the others.

A cycling blog entry I read recently said "there is an unease about his Dorian Gray fitness". Maybe that's it. Horner's got a painting of himself as an old man in his attic! :D

So... did anyone ever get any closer to figuring out how he actually did it? Still maybe the biggest turnip for the books I've ever seen - you can say there was maybe fatigue from Nibali doing the Giro and Valverde and Rodriguez doing the Tour, but he still beat a multi GT winner in his prime riding for Vino and Mr Eternal Peak of Puerto not through splits or crashes or breakaway shenanigans, but head on in the toughest mountains in the race.

From his passport he was blood doping, but surely that's not enough - is there some wacky unknown peptide out there that turns your bones to helium, but only if you're a bald hamburger fan from Bend? What was the edge that he had? A willingness to go for broke for one last big payday (in a world... one man... etc) or something stranger?

Blood bags for sure. That much is obvious. Some EPO at various points of the year, unlikely during the vuelta itself.

Then likely peptides of some sort, maybe even good old fashioned HGH, plus test patches over night for recovery is my guess.
Most of those peptides are basically undetectable at this point, especially in urine.

Re:

vedrafjord said:
So... did anyone ever get any closer to figuring out how he actually did it? Still maybe the biggest turnip for the books I've ever seen - you can say there was maybe fatigue from Nibali doing the Giro and Valverde and Rodriguez doing the Tour, but he still beat a multi GT winner in his prime riding for Vino and Mr Eternal Peak of Puerto not through splits or crashes or breakaway shenanigans, but head on in the toughest mountains in the race.

From his passport he was blood doping, but surely that's not enough - is there some wacky unknown peptide out there that turns your bones to helium, but only if you're a bald hamburger fan from Bend? What was the edge that he had? A willingness to go for broke for one last big payday (in a world... one man... etc) or something stranger?

Everyone else was cleans.

The only definition of clean that matters in cycling is the WADA code in force at the point of discussion (or the rules prior to that if going way back). Plus any additional stuff the UCI tacks on like the no needles policy recently.

The use of tramadol is not doping. The use of caffeine pills is not doping. The use of EPO, HGH, exogenous testosterone clearly is.

Abuse of cortisone OOC is not doping. It should be however, a matter for the legal and medical regulatory authorities though, being a prescription drug in almost every jurisdiction that cycling races occur in.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

DirtyWorks said:
SeriousSam said:
He should be treated with absolute reverence. When was the last time an American won a Grand Tour clean?

Define clean.

tejay Van Gaarderan and the snivelling guy who had a crash with Gerrans at the Tour. Tablansky or someone. Palansky or someone. I am sure the suffix is Talansky, that might even been the entire surname, google it you silly carnts.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
i like chris but the ferkin androgens and gh have his head looking like he was an extra out of coneheads. him and leipheimer could be the brothers from mars

he also woulda made a fantastic directeur if he had not got on the extra perri perri hot sauce and won the vuelta and made himself persona non grata in the industry
beldar-conehead.gif

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
To the Cyclingnews editors:

Regarding the story about Horner's TUE denial, instead of regurgitating Horner's rant and the UCI's boilerplate response, thereby inciting the public into yet another argument about doping, why not take a stab at journalism? It would be most enlightening to know when the application was submitted, when the denial response was sent back, the stated reasons for denial, etc.

Horner states that two doctors diagnosed him - why not ask him who the doctors are, and ask them for comment?
The UCI states a three member board reviewed the application - why not ask them who reviewed it, and why it was actually denied?
Horner says he sent the application in with plenty of time to spare - why not ask both parties for their records on when the application was received and responded to - who knows? Maybe someone is not being forthcoming about their actions.

The 10,000-foot view of this complete with F-bombs does nothing to further your readers' understaning of the situation. If you can't make the effort to be truly useful to your readers, you might as well pack it in and just run press releases from the UCI, bike companies, and teams.

Reactions: RedViola
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re:

JeffinLV@gmail.com said:

Regarding the story about Horner's TUE denial, instead of regurgitating Horner's rant and the UCI's boilerplate response, thereby inciting the public into yet another argument about doping, why not take a stab at journalism? It would be most enlightening to know when the application was submitted, when the denial response was sent back, the stated reasons for denial, etc.

Horner states that two doctors diagnosed him - why not ask him who the doctors are, and ask them for comment?
The UCI states a three member board reviewed the application - why not ask them who reviewed it, and why it was actually denied?
Horner says he sent the application in with plenty of time to spare - why not ask both parties for their records on when the application was received and responded to - who knows? Maybe someone is not being forthcoming about their actions.

The 10,000-foot view of this complete with F-bombs does nothing to further your readers' understaning of the situation. If you can't make the effort to be truly useful to your readers, you might as well pack it in and just run press releases from the UCI, bike companies, and teams.
Couldnt agree more.

JeffinLV:
Sometimes, just for kicks, it'd be great to read follow-up questions to blatantly false narratives offered by riders and teams.
But CN is not an investigative news web site. The mandate is to promote and sell cycling news and products. They're not going to send a reporter on a plane overseas to check up on Horner's health history.
Nothing necessarily wrong with that.
That said, I'm never ceased to be amazed by the stuff I read in the clinic.
That's where you'll get the news you want to read; and I'm glad CN provides the opportunity to do so.
Lots of very knowledgeable people here.

Re:

irondan said:
I know nothing about asthma. Does it come and go or is it always with you? If he had it in 2009 he didn't seem to have it in 2013, unless everyone else had asthma and he didn't.

Its amazing how many top sportsmen and women can compete and be world class with ASTHMA !

Kids in my school couldnt climb stairs with asthma never mind run a frikkin marathon or climb Mont ventoux !

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

JeffinLV@gmail.com said:

You obviously don't read CN a lot ........ :rolleyes:

Re:

mrhender said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/horner-blasts-uci-for-denying-asthma-tue/

“The UCI has taken it from one extreme, where they used to just allow whatever you needed, to now they won’t allow anything, unless of course it’s a [WorldTour] doctor nagging them,” Horner said.

:p

Translation for those not fluent in Cowboy:
"waaaaaa....i need some steroids...waaaaaaa...they used to give me steroids all the time....waaaaaaaa.....everybody else can get steroids......waaaaaaaaa"

Thank you Chris, you keep being you.

TRENDING THREADS