• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 176 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stage 3 today of Vuelta Colombia ends up at 2000 m so a chance for Horner to shine!
https://twitter.com/mundociclistico/status/1026977465334489090
DkCOL-8XcAEOV42.jpg

gillan1969 said:
Until she snapped chain half-way through race a 45 year old Gunn-Rita Dahle Flesjå was up in the medals in the euro mtb xc champs this morning....not implying she's doping but crazy performance for that age against the youngsters...
But in contrast to Chris Horner, Dahle Flesjå has been the best or among the best in the world for years.

Stage 12 and he comes in with the gruppetto - 40 minutes down -

86th 141 HORNER,Chris ELITE TEAM ILLUMINATE 06:16:42 40:45 min.

On GC - 2 hours 50 mins behind leader -
104th.- 141 HORNER,Chris ELITE TEAM ILLUMINATE 50:53:28-083 a 2:50:43

Horner is nearing his 47th birthday and has been out of competition for years. This performance is not unexpected.

This may seem far-fetched but I believe South American races with notoriously lax doping controls are a poor option for Horner. I attribute much of his late-career success to pushing the parameters of doping in restrictive environments. In short, his willingness to take risks others weren't put him at an advantage over his peers. He loses that edge at South American races with no holds barred doping; can't imagine him competing with decades younger and much fitter riders there.

GC after stage 12 -
1.- 57 CAICEDO,Jonathan Kleve ELITE TEAM MEDELLIN 48:02:45-169
2.- 41 SUAREZ,Juan Pablo ELITE EPM-SCOTT 48:03:26-136 a 41
3.- 51 SEVILLA,Oscar ELITE TEAM MEDELLIN 48:03:44-126 a 59

(nearly 42 and on the podium - not bad!)

Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
Horner is nearing his 47th birthday and has been out of competition for years. This performance is not unexpected.

This may seem far-fetched but I believe South American races with notoriously lax doping controls are a poor option for Horner. I attribute much of his late-career success to pushing the parameters of doping in restrictive environments. In short, his willingness to take risks others weren't put him at an advantage over his peers. He loses that edge at South American races with no holds barred doping; can't imagine him competing with decades younger and much fitter riders there.
So you don't see his age or the high altitude as a problem? :D

For the sake of the race's honour, Caicedo needs to be dropped by either Suárez or Sevilla. Two 20-somethings winning the race back to back?

Since 2000, the winners' ages:
31, 34 (alleged 38), 32, 34, 34, 36, 36, 34, 27, 27, 22, 37, 38, 36, 37, 38, 35, 27.

Caicedo would make himself the youngest winner since Henao in 2010.

As for Papi, remember a lot of riders tend to perform better in the second year after a comeback. All is not yet lost.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
For the sake of the race's honour, Caicedo needs to be dropped by either Suárez or Sevilla. Two 20-somethings winning the race back to back?

Since 2000, the winners' ages:
31, 34 (alleged 38), 32, 34, 34, 36, 36, 34, 27, 27, 22, 37, 38, 36, 37, 38, 35, 27.

Caicedo would make himself the youngest winner since Henao in 2010.

As for Papi, remember a lot of riders tend to perform better in the second year after a comeback. All is not yet lost.
Lol. This is ridiculous!!

Henao being the only true youngster. I guess the Colombian federation cannot do anything about it. They don't have the money nor the interest.

TRENDING THREADS