• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where To Begin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I believe that's the most accurate question a could've asked. For everyone here reading this most likely already knows the basics of riding for I know nothing. I am stationed in el paso texas and almost lost my life in iraq. Now being back for a couple months and searching for somthing to keep my mind busy and current I now reach out to cycling. Can anyone tell me some info. I . E . Where should I ride? What should I look out for? What type of bike should I get? Is it somthing I could excell in and if so how far could I take it. Stuff like that. I usually just sit at home after work with my wife so naturally I don't really have too many people to ask except the guy at the bike shop. Help? Please?

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Local shops are a good place to begin. They might have ride maps for you and also know of local, organized rides that you can participate in. If you're really wanting to get serious about training, pick up a book at the local book store, shop, or online. This will give you plenty of tips about riding, eating, etc.
Wear a helmet, obey the traffic laws (motorists will appreciate this), have fun.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the previous poster in that you should go into and check out some local bike shops - referred to normally as LBS on this forum and others. One consideration is looking into renting a bike for a day or so if you can and heading out for a spin. Mountain bike, road bike, hybrid. The choice is yours depending on what type of riding you may want to do. Introduce yourself around here and maybe somebody in your area will give a shout. Good luck.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Consider a used bike to begin with. Some people buy an expensive new bike, and after a couple of times out, find they don't care for riding, or have physical issues.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
How old are you? How fit are you? How fat are you? Do you have any handicap?

Is El Paso windy, I imagine it is. Where I live the wind blows out of the West (like most places) but wind builds as the day goes on, so sometimes I like to ride West early in the day (when there is little wind) and then get a nice kick in the back on the way home as it builds.

Tell us more about what draws you to cycling and what you see yourself doing on a bike.

TRENDING THREADS