• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where would you like to see Contador go?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Where would you like to see Alberto Contador go?

• Quick Step

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
He's so much better than the competition he would win it as duo with Van Hummel.

Why does everybody pick on poor little Kenny V?:(

Incidentally, I was pleased to see him finish second on the European tour!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bluebeard said:
Why does everybody pick on poor little Kenny V?:(

Incidentally, I was pleased to see him finish second on the European tour!

He's a great sprinter! Without his injury he would have prolly won the Europe Tour.

And guys like Fernandez and Furlan sucked even more in the tour-climbs. But it's just so easy to pick on Hummeltje :)

auscyclefan94 said:
I would like to see him struggle on a weaker team so i put Quickstep. I would like to see him go on a team like Skil Shimano, a team which couldn't support him. He'll go to caisse or stay at astana. i don't think he being at an american, english speaking team like garmin would help him solve any issues such as leadership which might pop up for him.

Just curious, why the apparent strong "dislike" for Contador other than your well known belief that he aided Valverde in winning the Dauphine this year?
You tend to rail on about posters bashing Evans and here you are wishing the worst possible scenario on Contador, I'm assuming primarily to prove your point that Evans' weak team was the only thing holding him back from sure domination of the sport and thus the same fate will befall Contador, likely hoping that he'll simply skulk into obscurity with a weak team. (I think I may have set a record for longest run on sentence).:eek:

pedaling squares said:
Caisse.

Because all the work that Lance and Johan are doing to steal strong teammates from Contador would be for naught. Because the Clinic threads would heat up and for once it wouldn't be about Lance. Because the people who claim there is a second set of rules for Spaniards would have helmet fires. Because we need more strong teams riding for strong leaders to take a shred of boredom out of the modern Tour de France (see 2009: HTC controls the pace on flat stages, Astana controls the pace on hilly stages... yawn).

++1 especially the helmet fires part! LOL!!:D

aarnold517 said:
i want to see him go to garmin just so i can see what they do with the spanish TT kit that he'd be wearing. i imagine red yellow and white mixed with argyle is an interesting combination...

Navigation systems manufacturer Garmin Ltd. has announced plans to extend its sponsorship of the Garmin-Slipstream team, adding three years to a deal that was set to expire at the end of 2010.

Citing the team’s performance and its commitment to “ethical sporting and developing the next generation of cycling champions,” the company said its sponsorship for the past 18 months has exceeded expectations.

“Our objectives were – and continue to be – to integrate our products on sports’ biggest stages and to build global brand awareness,” said Garmin vice president of communications, Jon Cassat, in a release issued Tuesday. “Whether capturing victories around the world, winning national championships or working to develop future generations of talent, Team Garmin has helped us achieve those objectives and has made an impression on billions of potential customers.”

The company’s renewed sponsorship will continue through the 2013 season

http://www.velonews.com/article/99460/garmin-extends-sponsorship-to-2013#

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
racerralph said:
I'd like to see him go to Garmin. I think the Spanish teams are too insular, and seem to have a Vuelta only mindset, (Much like the Italians love to shoot for the Giro at all costs) and even with that, look how long it took to nurture and convince Valverde he could win the Vuelta. I think AC could overcome that handicap, but why bother? With Garmin as currently structured, with or without Wiggo, there would be No problem with TTT's in the future, and the rest of the team would be perfect support at the TdF. QSI isn't even on the board, even though they flirted.:)

That's just absolutely wrong. I somewhat agree with you about the italian teams (this is changign though), but definitely not about the spanish ones. Caisse D'Epargne (before Illes Balears, Banesto, Reynolds) has won more Tours than Vueltas in the last 20 years. Euskaltel usually send their best 9 riders to the TdF, and the same did ONCE/Liberty and Kelme. The same happens in the hilly classics, where both Caisse (Valverde, Joaquim) and Euskaltel (Sanchez) are a major force.

Of course, unlike the American teams, they have a home GT where they have to play a great role, but that's all.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
What you mean that the Italian and Spanish like to race and are not obsessed about the Tour like Americans are?

Contador and Valverde are racing in Mexico at the moment. But of corse you guys don't know that because you only watch the Tour.

Amateur.

Now, now.... Gran Premio de Cancun, I knew about that.Valv took the ITT and AC took the overall......sssshhh. I'm an AC fan myself. I just think he'd be better off at Garmin.:eek: Sorry. I happen to Love the Giro, and I wish the Vuelta got a better shake, in terms of riders sticking to it, 'til the end. I just think that the Spanish TEAMS are a bit narrow in their approach to the total year, and come the early part of the year, and the Classics(especially the ones on cobbles), nary a Spaniard is visible, save Valverde, Freire, and Flecha. it's just my opinion. Even though Spaniards took the top 3 spots on the year end UCI rankings:p
Oh, and maybe his english would get a bit better, solely for his own benefit. :cool:
But if he went with Caisse D'Epargne he wouldn't be hurting either, with the addition of Soler and Moreau and Brushegin, they seem to be putting together a very strong GT team themselves!!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Just curious, why the apparent strong "dislike" for Contador other than your well known belief that he aided Valverde in winning the Dauphine this year?
You tend to rail on about posters bashing Evans and here you are wishing the worst possible scenario on Contador, I'm assuming primarily to prove your point that Evans' weak team was the only thing holding him back from sure domination of the sport and thus the same fate will befall Contador, likely hoping that he'll simply skulk into obscurity with a weak team. (I think I may have set a record for longest run on sentence).:eek:

Not bashing, i think it would be intersting and make the race more intersting with AC on a team that would struggle to support him. That's not bashing. i didn't like his tatic at the Dauphine but i saw him mature a lot throughout the tour with incidents with armstrong.

racerralph said:
Now, now.... Gran Premio de Cancun, I knew about that.Valv took the ITT and AC took the overall......sssshhh. I'm an AC fan myself. I just think he'd be better off at Garmin.:eek: Sorry. I happen to Love the Giro, and I wish the Vuelta got a better shake, in terms of riders sticking to it, 'til the end. I just think that the Spanish TEAMS are a bit narrow in their approach to the total year, and come the early part of the year, and the Classics(especially the ones on cobbles), nary a Spaniard is visible, save Valverde, Freire, and Flecha. it's just my opinion. Even though Spaniards took the top 3 spots on the year end UCI rankings:p
Oh, and maybe his english would get a bit better, solely for his own benefit. :cool:
But if he went with Caisse D'Epargne he wouldn't be hurting either, with the addition of Soler and Moreau and Brushegin, they seem to be putting together a very strong GT team themselves!!

My guess is that AC is going to show up at one of them this year.

A

Anonymous

I think there are downsides to both Caisse and Garmin.

Caisse - the lingering smell coming from Valverde's closet, but all AC's teams have had similar speculation, so unfortunately he cannot avoid that given his talents

Garmin - the language, the teamwork:p, wiggins would have to go, leaving him with VDV as his only decent mountain man (unless they sign some spanish mountain goats)

Having said that, the positive aspects from these two teams far outway the negative aspects.

I would prefer he goes to Caisse, I think he would thrive there and they are a team very capable of supporting another spanish superstar as they have for many years under a previous sponsorship name. I think given his issues with a couple of yanks this year, he probably would be more comfortable with Valv as the 2ic than some american/brit he cant communicate with

Contador would have a good team if he went to caisse, they were very strong in the last vuelta. And Contador doesn't belong in Kazachstan, Vino does. Spaniards need some Spanish mates in order to have someone to talk to and not be depressed. I doubt if Quickstep can support him enough.
Caisse it is. Also to make the Armstrong & co. vs Contador and the Spaniards battle a bit clearer.

Mountain Goat said:
I think there are downsides to both Caisse and Garmin.

Caisse - the lingering smell coming from Valverde's closet, but all AC's teams have had similar speculation, so unfortunately he cannot avoid that given his talents

Garmin - the language, the teamwork:p, wiggins would have to go, leaving him with VDV as his only decent mountain man (unless they sign some spanish mountain goats)

Having said that, the positive aspects from these two teams far outway the negative aspects.

I would prefer he goes to Caisse, I think he would thrive there and they are a team very capable of supporting another spanish superstar as they have for many years under a previous sponsorship name. I think given his issues with a couple of yanks this year, he probably would be more comfortable with Valv as the 2ic than some american/brit he cant communicate with

You do know that he speaks English right? He's not fluent, but he's getting there. Oh and that Garmin is based in Girona, Spain. I think he can get by just fine with either Garmin or Caisse--though it looks like it will be a free-for-all for his services in 2010-2012. Especially if he wins another GT.

A

Anonymous

Angliru said:
Just curious, why the apparent strong "dislike" for Contador

I will save my comments for the clinic..

i think he is the worst of the dirty dozen...

6rkn78.png

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
Definately Garmin......1 reason, what team would be better to wind the merde out of his Royal Lameness and the Almighty Shack (good name for a movie), another PT American team...ideal.;):p

May 6, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
He's a great sprinter! Without his injury he would have prolly won the Europe Tour.

And guys like Fernandez and Furlan sucked even more in the tour-climbs. But it's just so easy to pick on Hummeltje :)

Napolitano would get dropped on a bridge with a 1% gradient.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I would like conti to stay at astana, I think it´ll be a great laugh, especially if it gets vinokourov into the tour. The main reason I want alberto to stay at astana is because I quite like vinokourov and found his comeback very funny this year..... It would be good if Contador being there keeps astana in the big races( I think vino could do ok in some races next season). It might be quite interesting for contador to be there for the tour de france, I doubt they will be a super team so hopefully he will have to go on the attack more, which is always nice to see.

Also I think it might not be a bad idea for Contador to stay with astana, I am sure Vinokourov knows he has 0 chance(and he has 0 chance) of winning any big tour, so I doubt he will cause alberto any problems.I also think astana believe contador is their only hope of sticking around after next season, so I think they´ll make a fairly good team for him(in tdf anyway) and there is no team trial. If he wants to join up with alonso he should just stick around astana for another season(that´s how long is contract is isn´t it?) and then there is a much better chance alonsos team(or whoevers it would be) will be ready and he won´t have to walk out of some other team.

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
You do know that he speaks English right? He's not fluent, but he's getting there. Oh and that Garmin is based in Girona, Spain. I think he can get by just fine with either Garmin or Caisse--though it looks like it will be a free-for-all for his services in 2010-2012. Especially if he wins another GT.

Yeh I know he speaks english (with his interpreter next to him to help).

But it's one thing to understand a language, but to understand how most english speaking people don't use correct language, is very difficult.

Example:

VDV: Hey Bertie, you ready to f-ck up lance in the mountains? let's hit it dawg..

AC: [In broken english] Um, Christian... I'm not really into guys that way, I have a lady friend. Is that what you did at Postal??... Why would I want to hit him like a dog, that's inhumane... you are wierd Christian.. Bradley, why is he talk like this?

BW: He's a douche-bag, that's why.. wanna go play cricket?

AC: What's a doou..che.. bag?? Why would I play with crickets.. I hate bugs, they mess with my allergies...

AC [thinking]: Man i should of chosen Caisse. These boys are into some freaky buritos