• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which active rider will win more Grand Tours

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which active rider will win more Grand Tours

• Chris Froome (7)

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Primoz Roglic (3)

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Tadej Pogacar (2)

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Jonas Vingegaard (1)

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Remco Evenepoel (1)

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Juan Ayuso (0)

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Other (Who?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yes.

P.S. And not just that. Even at Tour 2022. He was the deciding factor on stage 11. All while riding with his back broken. Then in contention again at Vuelta 22. Rogla is a proven two GT per year champion. Not only a participant in one and doing the other one seriously. ATM i am not aware about another cyclist in the pro peloton i could say that about.

If the "two GT podiums in a year, twice" thing had happened at an earlier point in his career - and been more recently - I would have agreed with you that it would be a good indicator for the potential of even bigger things. However, as things stand right now, time is not exactly on his side. He's not likely to win two GTs next year, and the further ahead in time we go, the less likely it becomes; he turns 35 in two years, how many GTs do you think he's gonna win past that?

Yes.

P.S. And not just that. Even at Tour 2022. He was the deciding factor on stage 11. All while riding with his back broken. Then in contention again at Vuelta 22. Rogla is a proven two GT per year champion. Not only a participant in one and doing the other one seriously. ATM i am not aware about another cyclist in the pro peloton i could say that about.

Yeah, he is also proven to crash out of at least one GT per year, no?
Then you have the age factor and the fact there are 3 riders on his or even higher level out there.

I wish Roglic well, but winning 4 more GT's is very unlikely.

Reactions: Extinction
The only thing I will say in defence of Roglic is he came to road racing relatively late. So he should have more longevity all things being equal. After all Valverde turned pro in 2002 and only just retired. Now I doubt Roglic can have AVs longevity but I hope we can see him back to his best even if that won’t be enough to shake this poll.

If the "two GT podiums in a year, twice" thing had happened at an earlier point in his career - and been more recently - I would have agreed with you that it would be a good indicator for the potential of even bigger things. However, as things stand right now, time is not exactly on his side. He's not likely to win two GTs next year, and the further ahead in time we go, the less likely it becomes; he turns 35 in two years, how many GTs do you think he's gonna win past that?

So what you are saying is if you would have to chose one cyclist from the current peloton. To win two GT's in the 2023 season. You wouldn't chose Roglič. Due to his age?

P.S. Who would you chose?

Yeah, he is also proven to crash out of at least one GT per year, no?
Then you have the age factor and the fact there are 3 riders on his or even higher level out there.

I wish Roglic well, but winning 4 more GT's is very unlikely.

When you say crash out on at least one GT per year. That is rather special by itself already. Isn't it? Like it's totally normal to do more then one GT in the first place. Contesting for the highest places. Now as for crashing. If he would miss some turn or anything like that. Then fine. But in 2022 season he was crashed out of two GTs. It's an important distinction. As one suggest he has bad biking skills. The reality being it's just whacked what happened in 2022 season. You can't really train for that. It's not something you as a cyclist can improve.

P.S. As for the 3 riders. Do you mind listing them?

So what you are saying is if you would have to chose one cyclist from the current peloton. To win two GT's in the 2023 season. You wouldn't chose Roglič. Due to his age?

P.S. Who would you chose?

I wouldn't choose him, in part because of his age.
As for who I would choose; Pogacar and Evenepoel. With Pogacar having a slight advantage, as he has finished every GT he has started on the podium.

Last edited:
I don't see on why Roglič should be treated any different in this regard. The fact Roglič started his career a bit late. That doesn't come down to for his best years to automatically last less. Best to wait and see on how it will pan out.
De facto Roglic doesn't have age on his side and I don't think, even had he started cycling at the junior level, he would have gotten the results of Tadej or Remco in his early 20s, but would have gradually risen to the top.

De facto Roglic doesn't have age on his side and I don't think, even had he started cycling at the junior level, he would have gotten the results of Tadej or Remco in his early 20s, but would have gradually risen to the top.
I'm not so sure about that, although it would have depended on which team he started with. Let's imagine a young Roglic, say age 20-21, who learned to ride in a bunch etc. at age 14-15 rather than 24-25. I think he'd have at least one more GT (let's say Giro 2019) and probably a few more prestigious week-long races, if only because I think he'd crash less...

Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm not so sure about that, although it would have depended on which team he started with. Let's imagine a young Roglic, say age 20-21, who learned to ride in a bunch etc. at age 14-15 rather than 24-25. I think he'd have at least one more GT (let's say Giro 2019) and probably a few more prestigious week-long races, if only because I think he'd crash less...
Valid points, I suppose, but I just don't see him as the first Slovenian to really vie for the coveted Yellow Jersey having been able to do the things Tadej did at 21-22. Roglic was the testing ground. In this sense he paved the way for identifying and investing heavily in a young Slovenian talent such as Pogacar. Heck, its why Saroni-Gianetti and co. were looking across the borders of Veneto, instead of South America, as Brailsford and co. at Ineos were doing, for the next cycling phenom. That's why UAE got Pogi, but not Ineos, a gross oversight on the British outfit's part, because he was off their radar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cookster15
I wouldn't choose him, in part because of his age.
As for who I would choose; Pogacar and Evenepoel. With Pogacar having a slight advantage, as he has finished every GT he has started on the podium.

OK then i guess lets see if Roglič, Pogačar or Evenpoel can get there first.

Or maybe he would stop cycling at around 20 and undertake ski jumping?

There was an interview in local media and Rogla said he doesn't feel old. That is he feels he can cope just fine with the youngsters for now. And until he will be able to do that. On the road. He doesn't see age as a problem. He expects to be competitive for around four more years. Somehow i agree with him. It's a rather normal life span of a pro cyclist on the highest level. Just because it is modern now. To start before 20. That doesn't change much.

P.S. Messi was 35.

Reactions: Extinction
Roglic is not gonna win the Tour and the Vuelta next year, and it looks increasingly unlikely he'll even make it to the Giro.

It's roughly four more years anyway. Hence Rogla technically doesn't need to do it in 2023. To get there first. But i agree with you that currently he likely doesn't yet know if he could be ready to start lets say Giro 2023. Time will tell that. Looking at his IG he is currently rather happy and training. So fingers crossed and lets build on that.

Last edited:
Then my money is on Evenepoel.

It turns out that Roglic will do the Giro, but I'd be surprised if he win. Evenepoel takes it, and goes on to win the Vuelta too.
You heard it here first! :cool:
I’m pulling for Roglic, but I think you’re probably right. I think Pogacar, if he loses the Tour to Vingegaard again, is a bigger threat in the Vuelta than Roglic in the Giro. Hope to be wrong but it seems like a likely Vuelta repeat to me. Remco dialed and on fire, Roglic a bit on the back foot.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS