• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who has the best palmares: Valverde vs. Nibali

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who has the best palmares?

• Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 51 34.2%
  • Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 98 65.8%

• Total voters
So what's going to happen today? Bala and Nibs cross the line holding hands for joint 1st place, I send a namby pambi emoji hug to Toby and we agree they're both the best cyclists ever, RhD wants to know why are we doing this, is it left side of the brain or right side.
We're back. You can't kill the . thread, it's been here for hundreds if years.

I gave up trying to figure a long time ago.

The rules: Don't go off topic!
Us: Whatever is "topic"?

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
He has 7 medals from the World Championships, all on different courses! Do you even know what the hell are you talking about?!
Firstly as I've said anything other than a win for me is nothing, so he has one win at the world champs and 6 failures.

Secondly we are talking about his success at liege, or at least I am, i don't know what you are talking about. The vast majority of his majority success is built on one very specific race. Hence I'd take Nibali palmares in a second.

Firstly as I've said anything other than a win for me is nothing, so he has one win at the world champs and 6 failures.

Secondly we are talking about his success at liege, or at least I am, i don't know what you are talking about. The vast majority of his majority success is built on one very specific race. Hence I'd take Nibali palmares in a second.
The vast majority of his success comes from the fact that he was/still is a winning machine, who wins left and right, throughout the whole year, on almost every terrain, and he's doing it for 20 years!

Then you have someone with 135 wins on one hand, and 58 on the other hand.
Also you have to take into account that AV did that in the worst team of the 21th century in terms of strategy in a race.
Major wins as I said upthread. Nobody going into cycling would take Valverde's v Nibali.
If you like people who are consistent across a lot of races for a whole season you will favour AV no question. But if you value the biggest wins on the grandest stage then there is no comparison in my book.
I'm constantly amazed by the value put on podiums in cycling.

Reactions: dercuforever
One win and 6 failures.. if a medal is a failure, what is a 25th or a DNF then? Thats just a way too black/white to view things, especially in cycling where you have one winner and 160 failures!
A bigger failure.
Caveat- if they were someone who was meant to compete for the win. Van aert has had a lot of 'failures' because he should have done better and converted a lot more of his chances. Same with Valverde over his career. He has something missing that Nibali doesn't.

I thought I was on a wrong page of the forum to see that avatar again, and replying to almost one-month old post:) Good to see you anyway!

Thank you. Good to be back, good see you and the other stalwarts of the forum and me as always replying late.
I thought I was on a wrong page of the forum to see that avatar again, and replying to almost one-month old post:) Good to see you anyway!
Good to see you and the old forum stalwarts still holding it down. Then here I am late as always. Good to be back.

Sandisfan's latest like has reminded me: What was the deal with those bonus sprinting seconds that Nibali once stole from Valverde?

That Valverde didn't realise there had been fewer (I almost wrote less :grimacing:) than three riders who had finished the stage before the favourites rolled in, so he didn't sprint hard for the seconds and was a bit embarrassed afterwards.

Reactions: gregrowlerson

TRENDING THREADS