• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is Floyd Landis?

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
This has bugged me with the Landis affair and hopefully someone can set me straight. Apparently Floyd claims he did not take synthetic testosterone at the Tour, so technically he was innocent of the doping offence that stripped him of the title. OK, I can maybe follow his logic. There was a nasty hearing, he lost and he served his suspension. When it comes time to look for work he contacts probably the shadiest team owner there is -- Michael Ball, whose Race Director Rudy Pevenage, was the man responsible for both the rise and subsequent fall of Jan Ullrich. This is a team which hired almost every suspected doper with a pedigree, both foreign and domestic. This is who Floyd wanted to ride for? When that didn’t work out he seeks work for a continental team for a season and produces little if anything in the way of results. Then he contacts his old Director and Lance about a ride . . . . and this guys says that he was conflicted and felt terrible for the lies he told. Really? I’m curious, has Floyd ever taken a lie detector test? I would love to see the results. I think he is probably telling the truth about the doping at Postal, but little else rings true to me. What I would like to ask him is during his comeback attempt, did he ever use PEDs? After his suspension, when he was training and shopping for a new team and before he took the highroad and ratted on everyone, was he riding clean? His angst seems awfully convenient. Does anyone believe that if Floyd had been given a contract at Radioshack any of this would have happend? He wouldn’t be able to live with the lies and would have confessed and implicated Armstrong and company. Do you think he would have refused to blood dope as a member of the Shack? Just how honorable is he and pure his motives?

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
miloman said:
This has bugged me with the Landis affair and hopefully someone can set me straight. Apparently Floyd claims he did not take synthetic testosterone at the Tour, so technically he was innocent of the doping offence that stripped him of the title. OK, I can maybe follow his logic. There was a nasty hearing, he lost and he served his suspension. When it comes time to look for work he contacts probably the shadiest team owner there is -- Michael Ball, whose Race Director Rudy Pevenage, was the man responsible for both the rise and subsequent fall of Jan Ullrich. This is a team which hired almost every suspected doper with a pedigree, both foreign and domestic. This is who Floyd wanted to ride for? When that didn’t work out he seeks work for a continental team for a season and produces little if anything in the way of results. Then he contacts his old Director and Lance about a ride . . . . and this guys says that he was conflicted and felt terrible for the lies he told. Really? I’m curious, has Floyd ever taken a lie detector test? I would love to see the results. I think he is probably telling the truth about the doping at Postal, but little else rings true to me. What I would like to ask him is during his comeback attempt, did he ever use PEDs? After his suspension, when he was training and shopping for a new team and before he took the highroad and ratted on everyone, was he riding clean? His angst seems awfully convenient. Does anyone believe that if Floyd had been given a contract at Radioshack any of this would have happend? He wouldn’t be able to live with the lies and would have confessed and implicated Armstrong and company. Do you think he would have refused to blood dope as a member of the Shack? Just how honorable is he and pure his motives?

You already posted this stuff.. No one really cared then, and no one cares now.

I tried to offer my opinion. No on else really took an interest.

Stop clogging this forum with repeat posts.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:
...Does anyone believe that if Floyd had been given a contract at Radioshack any of this would have happend? He wouldn’t be able to live with the lies and would have confessed and implicated Armstrong and company. Do you think he would have refused to blood dope as a member of the Shack? Just how honorable is he and pure his motives?
No, I don't think Landis would have released those emails to the public if he had been granted his earlier wishes. You cannot deny that he lived a life of lies for several years - ongoing lies as a participant in organized doping, and a series of lies after he tested positive. I think that if he had been given a contract with Radioshack, or even if his team had been able to compete in the ATOC, we would not know about any of this. I cannot say how honourable his intentions are but I believe that after humiliation, personal tragedies, financial ruin, and a refusal to let him ride the ATOC, something was the final straw that broke the proverbial back. I suspect that the information he has released is truthful. As for his motives, he may try to get some money from a book deal down the road, but I don't ever discount the power of revenge as a motivating factor. And with revenge, often the truth is the most powerful weapon.

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
You already posted this stuff.. No one really cared then, and no one cares now.

I tried to offer my opinion. No on else really took an interest.

Stop clogging this forum with repeat posts.
So, what is your opinion? I'd like to know if anyone else finds Floyd's actions suspect.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, if you were Flandis what would you do? No formal education or training to do anything else. You just got driven out of your sole source of income, and you happen to have a head-full of stuff that millions of people would love to hear. Those who you can implicate treat you with disdain and vilify you. And vilify you a bit more... Since you have limited cerebral resources, all you really want to do is ride your bike. No one wants to sign you, apart from a bit of a sketchy team with a lunatic tyrant running the show, but they're signing the cheques, so f*ck it. And you get to ride your bike, and that's all you want.

I can certainly understand that.

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I think Reality TV should be Floyd's next stop. He should shun the big city lights and glamour of professional cycling and return to his Mennonite roots. He could work the farm M-F and race on weekends. Now that would be "Must See TV!" Floyd, if you are out there email me and we can brainstorm!!!

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:
I think Reality TV should be Floyd's next stop. He should shun the big city lights and glamour of professional cycling and return to his Mennonite roots. He could work the farm M-F and race on weekends. Now that would be "Must See TV!" Floyd, if you are out there email me and we can brainstorm!!!
In post #1 you claimed to be confused and asked a series of questions. In this post you revealed your agenda. There's nothing to discuss here, just your bias and your humourless platform. Boring.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:

You ask a lot of questions in your post - and yet you have clearly made up your mind on him.

Did Floyd - or anyone else - ever say that his motives were "honorable" or "pure"?

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
No agenda, just pointing out in a humourous way (maybe not) that there are other options out there to earn a living. Most of us get beat up eight hours a day, M-F but still put up with it. We don't rationalize our misdeeds or blame others for our misfortune. We live for the weekend, recharge our batteries and do it all over again the following week. For me, the ends don't justify the means. I think most of us know ways to make quick money, but just because we know there are ways to do it, doesn't necessarliry mean we should.
I’m wanting to feel sympathy for him and his circumstances, but I am increasingly finding it hard to do so. So help me out here. Should we embrace him, warts and all, or should we be suspicious of what he says and the motives behind it?

pedaling squares said:
No, I don't think Landis would have released those emails to the public if he had been granted his earlier wishes.

Small correction: Landis didn't release those emails. Who passed them on hasn't been on the record as far as I know, but it may have been the UCI.

It's true he may not have sent them to the original parties had he had a job, but we can't know that for sure one way or another. Maybe he was going to blow at one time or another no matter what.

-dB

Who is Floyd Landis?

He's the guy on the right in the orange and white jersey...

P6023280.JPG

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
simple

miloman said:
Apparently Floyd claims he did not take synthetic testosterone at the Tour, so technically he was innocent of the doping offence that stripped him of the title. OK, I can maybe follow his logic.

He's admitted to using testosterone patches in the past. He was probably using them when he banked blood before the Tour. He probably got nailed after doing a tainted transfusion after his big meltdown and subsequent upset.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
"Who is Floyd Landis?"? Wow, thanks for blowing my mind, Ayn Rand.

But, if you must know, this is Floyd Landis--and he looks like a pretty good dude:

6a012875949499970c01287594e918970c-pi

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
"Who is Floyd Landis?"? Wow, thanks for blowing my mind, Ayn Rand.

But, if you must know, this is Floyd Landis--and he looks like a pretty good dude:

6a012875949499970c01287594e918970c-pi

^^Even better. These pics deserve their own thread

A

Anonymous

Will people please stop posting huge pictures.. this thread wont fit on my screen!

Thank god for opera's block content option to remove specific objects.

A

Anonymous

miloman said:

Can someone tell me what that says. I cant focus properly on huge paragraphs made up of loads of short sentances. What is it with people around here being incapable of using the return key :confused:

TRENDING THREADS