• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is Floyd Landis?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ergmonkey said:
The high horse is all yours for thinking that only the perfectly innocent should profit under the False Claims Act.

The whole point of the Act is to expose the underlying crimes. It is overtly not moralistic about rewarding only innocent observers.

Fair enough, maybe I am, I never cared for cheaters and I would rather they are not rewarded. I may be on the horse but you handed it off to me. :D

Hugh Januss said:
Fair enough, but only if it is the same for Basso DiLuca Ricco Armstrong Hincapie Valverde Contador Virenque Heras and pretty much all of the rest.

I would have no problem with that even though I know it will never happen. I know this may seem unfair as other cheater have money but not everything is fair, one more injustice is still an injustice. Its just a huge mess.

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Fair enough, but only if it is the same for Basso DiLuca Ricco Armstrong Hincapie Valverde Contador Virenque Heras and pretty much all of the rest.

Big difference, they aren’t blowing the whistle and hoping for a big payday.

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
No.
They are keeping their mouths shut and get the big payday
Which of the two is worse?

I not very good at playing the “bad or worse” game. However, the difference I immediately see is that the others are either gainfully employed or retired. Floyd seems to be neither. He obviously can’t make a living by racing in unsanctioned late season events. So what I see is someone biding his time until he hits the “jackpot!” The jackpot in this case will come form ratting on his peers and hopefully collecting from it. Again, the sport needs to be cleaned up, but is Floyd the face or poster child for change? I guess there are some that want poachers for gamekeepers. His motives still seem questionable!

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:
I not very good at playing the “bad or worse” game. However, the difference I immediately see is that the others are either gainfully employed or retired. Floyd seems to be neither. He obviously can’t make a living by racing in unsanctioned late season events. So what I see is someone biding his time until he hits the “jackpot!” The jackpot in this case will come form ratting on his peers and hopefully collecting from it. Again, the sport needs to be cleaned up, but is Floyd the face or poster child for change? I guess there are some that want poachers for gamekeepers. His motives still seem questionable!

He is selective about which peers to rat out. I don't believe the dude is interested in clean cycling. He, of all people, knows the doping controls can't keep pace with the athletes. Never could, never will.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
miloman said:

Although questionable, who else do you see doing something about it and speaking out against his peers? Di Luca even went out of his way to state that he didn't name names

miloman said:

he's just seeing how it plays out before the lucrative interview/article/book/movie/etc... deal turns up...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
miloman said:

Floyd is racing in NZ at the moment, i imagine somebody must be covering his expenses. He is obviously looking to stay in the pro game and why not.

Floyd has not put himself forward as the 'face or poster child for change'. He, i imagine has gone through a very tumultous time since testing positive for the TdF. Very few if any on here knows what that feels like. When he hit rock bottom he turned to the people for whom he had done a lot and they closed the door in his face. He decided a course of action that has led to the situation we have now. Whether he intended revenge or a cleansing of his conscious is neither here nor there. He has to live with himself. Has he destroyed the sport of cycling. No not on his own! the dopers do that and he has admitted to being part of it.

We will never know who Floyd is? Does he know who he is? Do you know who you are? Do any of us know who we are? How amny of us take the time to actually think about that.

No one on here knows Floyd Landis and none of us have the insight into his life to give an answer to your original question.

Best this thread is closed as there are enough Landis threads on here and this one is not gonna receive an answer to its original question.

Archiblad said:
he's just seeing how it plays out before the lucrative interview/article/book/movie/etc... deal turns up...

he's a better person than some who have gone down this route. Most on here would forgive Armstrong if he came out with a sincere apology for his behaviour, like lots of cycling fans who are not blinded by yellow bands have done.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
One thing I know, or at least think to know, about Floyd Landis is that it is a guy who loves to ride the bike and would do nothing rather than that

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
Well, if you were Flandis what would you do? No formal education or training to do anything else. You just got driven out of your sole source of income, and you happen to have a head-full of stuff that millions of people would love to hear. Those who you can implicate treat you with disdain and vilify you. And vilify you a bit more... Since you have limited cerebral resources, all you really want to do is ride your bike. No one wants to sign you, apart from a bit of a sketchy team with a lunatic tyrant running the show, but they're signing the cheques, so f*ck it. And you get to ride your bike, and that's all you want.

I can certainly understand that.

I believe that FL was a guy who totally lost perspective.

Now I believe he's a guy who has almost completely lost everything most people value in life and is gaining perspective.

I'll say one thing. I'd much rather be in his shoes than LA's.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Floyd is racing in NZ at the moment, i imagine somebody must be covering his expenses. He is obviously looking to stay in the pro game and why not.

Floyd has not put himself forward as the 'face or poster child for change'. He, i imagine has gone through a very tumultous time since testing positive for the TdF. Very few if any on here knows what that feels like. When he hit rock bottom he turned to the people for whom he had done a lot and they closed the door in his face. He decided a course of action that has led to the situation we have now. Whether he intended revenge or a cleansing of his conscious is neither here nor there. He has to live with himself. Has he destroyed the sport of cycling. No not on his own! the dopers do that and he has admitted to being part of it.

We will never know who Floyd is? Does he know who he is? Do you know who you are? Do any of us know who we are? How amny of us take the time to actually think about that.

No one on here knows Floyd Landis and none of us have the insight into his life to give an answer to your original question.

Best this thread is closed as there are enough Landis threads on here and this one is not gonna receive an answer to its original question.

he's a better person than some who have gone down this route. Most on here would forgive Armstrong if he came out with a sincere apology for his behaviour, like lots of cycling fans who are not blinded by yellow bands have done.

Good post and I don't think the thread should be closed down.

The question everyone in life needs to ask themselves is; 'how does it profit a man to gain the world, but lose his soul?'

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
buckwheat said:
I believe that FL was a guy who totally lost perspective.

Now I believe he's a guy who has almost completely lost everything most people value in life and is gaining perspective.

I'll say one thing. I'd much rather be in his shoes than LA's.

Spot on! and thats Grace.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
He has to live with himself. Has he destroyed the sport of cycling. No not on his own! the dopers do that and he has admitted to being part of it.

Cheap psychology. We all have to live with ourselves.
Plus, I don't think Landis destroyed cycling, nor the others, nor all of them together.
I think those who are and were endulging and stimulating doping (e.g. Verbruggen, McQuaid?, teammanagers such as Riis, the sponsors...you name them..) have alot more responsibility.
The capitalist doesn't make capitalism, but the other way around. Same with doping in cycling: The doper doesn't make the doping-system. Some other proverbs also seem to apply here, such as "opportunity makes the thief", etc.

I think Landis rocks. He's sensitive, also. I sense that :eek:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
Cheap psychology. We all have to live with ourselves.
Plus, I don't think Landis destroyed cycling, nor the others, nor all of them together.
I think those who are and were endulging and stimulating doping (e.g. Verbruggen, McQuaid?, teammanagers such as Riis, the sponsors...you name them..) have alot more responsibility.
The capitalist doesn't make capitalism, but the other way around. Same with doping in cycling: The doper doesn't make the doping-system. Some other proverbs also seem to apply here, such as "opportunity makes the thief", etc.

I think Landis rocks. He's sensitive, also. I sense that :eek:

the cheap psychology is to open a thread asking who is Floyd Landis on a forum where most dont use their real names.

Dopers are anyone who uses, faciliates, sells, administers etc the PEDs

I am not a Floyd Landis fan per se, but i am glad that he has done what he has done. Whether his motives are pure, will i ever know? i doubt it, but he is saying the right things as far i am concerned. Is he gonna make millions from his actions? I doubt it. What the future in cycling holds for Landis seems at the present time to be bleak. But i hope he gets to where he is trying to go.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
the cheap psychology is to open a thread asking who is Floyd Landis on a forum where most dont use their real names.

Dopers are anyone who uses, faciliates, sells, administers etc the PEDs

I am not a Floyd Landis fan per se, but i am glad that he has done what he has done. Whether his motives are pure, will i ever know? i doubt it, but he is saying the right things as far i am concerned. Is he gonna make millions from his actions? I doubt it. What the future in cycling holds for Landis seems at the present time to be bleak. But i hope he gets to where he is trying to go.

Ok, guess I am agreeing with you on this. perhaps you're right, there's little sense in trying to psychologically analyse somebody we don't really know but from the media.
Still, just from the way he looks (which is a rather subjective criterium I admit), I believe (but I might be wrong) to recognize some sensitivity there, for which I intuitively feel much more sympathy for Landis than for, say, armstrong or contador. Don't wanna sound gay, or anything, but guess we all have odd, obscure, hidden reasons for liking certain racers better than others.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:

You keep saying things like this - can you point out who holds Floyd as the "poster child for change"?

If Floyd was only interested in the 'jackpot' - as you suggest - then why did he not just do a series of big lucrative stories instead of emailing the authorities?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
Ok, guess I am agreeing with you on this. perhaps you're right, there's little sense in trying to psychologically analyse somebody we don't really know but from the media.
Still, just from the way he looks (which is a rather subjective criterium I admit), I believe (but I might be wrong) to recognize some sensitivity there, for which I intuitively feel much more sympathy for Landis than for, say, armstrong or contador. Don't wanna sound gay, or anything, but guess we all have odd, obscure, hidden reasons for liking certain racers better than others.

Floyd is higher in my estimation than Armstrong. Contador is someone who i respected for his maturity in handling LAs treatment of him, but i never doubted that he was using PEDs as a rider, so Floyd is currently above him in my opinion.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I actually believe Floyd.

His actions have shown him to be more interested in racing his bike than anything else. Did he dope? Yes. He also came out saying the same. Did he 'take advantage' of the systems he was part of, in terms of doping, and then drop a dime on them? Yes. How is that grounds for vilifying him?

I would argue that most people would like to see clean sport, so what's the issue? Is it only because he's creating tension in the Armstrong camp? What is the problem with a rider spilling the beans? Why do so many people want to vilify him?

I'd like to remind everyone about Zable. After his disclosure, he was treated to standing ovations. And that's in a country that is talking about not even airing the TdF on TV because of doping.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Floyd 2006 TdF champion,now he is taking care of himself, my hero.

I would like to see him go to school, get a law degree and become a criminal defense lawyer.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
buckwheat said:
Good post and I don't think the thread should be closed down.

The question everyone in life needs to ask themselves is; 'how does it profit a man to gain the world, but lose his soul?'

maybe this is what Floyd Landis is trying to do;

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there."

george harrison

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Archibald said:
no doubt.
It would have taken quite a bit of courage to "come clean" (sorry!) knowing what was likely to follow...

I don't think he had anything to lose. I'm not sure it was courage, more like desperation. He wasn't going to be allowed into any race that mattered. I'm sure it became painfully obvious he wouldn't be able to pay his bills racing in local Crits. (let alone repay the Floyd Fairness Fund)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
miloman said:
I don't think he had anything to lose. I'm not sure it was courage, more like desperation. He wasn't going to be allowed into any race that mattered. I'm sure it became painfully obvious he wouldn't be able to pay his bills racing in local Crits. (let alone repay the Floyd Fairness Fund)

Again you are bringing up that money is the motive.

If "he wouldn't be able to pay his bills racing in local Crits" - then why didn't he make his confessions on the lucrative television circuit instead of sending emails to sports administrators.

TRENDING THREADS