• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will be the next home winner of a Grand Tour?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't even think Ganna's problem would be the MTFs, unless you visit the Zoncolan or the Mortirolo.
But I don't think he will ever be able to cope with multi-mountain stages or even the hard hilly stages. Take a stage like Torino last year, raced as it was... Pippo loses 15/20 minutes.
I think they would be. I think Ganna's unipuerto MTF results go down pretty quickly once you go from 4-5% climbs to even 7% climbs.

Reactions: KZD
Mas or Ayuso. The former probably in 2023-24 or never, the latter has more time.

Spain currently has the deepest domestic GC bench of the big 3 GTs, with Ayuso, CRod and Mas. Would be crazy if none of them won a Vuelta, with both Ayuso and Rodriguez being very young. Of course I was certain that Landa would win a Vuelta, too...

I see no hope for Italy or France, to be honest,.

The 2015 route which also had Mortirolo, Finestre and big Aosta stage?
You lamented weak MTFs, I gave you them. Of the above, this was the only MTF:

stage-20-cervinia.jpg

What made the 2015 Giro work was the dynamic with favorite with a terrible team who also wasn't dominant in the mountains, and there was one team to shred everything because they needed to attack. Basically imagine Vingegaard doesn't drop Pogacar until Hautacam.

In terms of mountains though, I really agree with the idea that the near 0 emphasis on MTF in the 2015 Giro was great. Even if you were easily the strongest climber, you had to make crazy attacks to make up for the TT losses. The 2016 Giro also didn't emphasize MTFs, and it had great mountain stages as well.

Also keep in mind the level at the Tour over the last years. It's been ridiculously high and very few can win it.
Indeed, and none of them are French.

I slightly amend my flat assertion that Italy has no hope. If Hart can win the Giro then so can Ciccone.

I wonder why Italy hasn't produced a decent GC contender in a while. It's not for lack of riders or teams or inspiration. Nibali would have seemed to be a role model.

Indeed, and none of them are French.

I slightly amend my flat assertion that Italy has no hope. If Hart can win the Giro then so can Ciccone.

I wonder why Italy hasn't produced a decent GC contender in a while. It's not for lack of riders or teams or inspiration. Nibali would have seemed to be a role model.
I think it's like countries producing Grand Slam winners in tennis. You can produce a baseline with a depth of very good riders, but for GT winners you are gonna need those very big outliers all the same.

The 2015 Giro was great because of Contador. Period. If Contador wasn't there, this GT would be a lot worse. Contador means fireworks and spectacularity. When he was in the startlist, we knew we were going to have a fantastic show. We can say the same about Pogacar in these days.