• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

• Others

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 28, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Why would he not be a favorite. If he can recover.from injuries - and time is the great healer, wounds, then it is very likely he will get his.climbing form.back.

And with his climbing form.i can't see who.would drop him. Samu of 2 years ago maybe and purito 200m.from the finish but that's about it.

I know that his 2009-10 level was even better than Samu's, in the Vuelta he blew everyone away with his accelarations in the final kilometre of Aitana and Velefique. His first Tour result was also unexpectedly good. If he can achieve this level again he'll be a favourite ofc, but I don't see it happening. That's still wishful thinking atm.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
May 19, 2011
Visit site
Bexon30 said:
I voted JR because I would like to see him win. Not sure he will ride though.

If JR wants to win Tour, he will most certainly pass Giro. So is W. Maybe JR feels it is about the time for him to give Tour another crack, TIME is running out for him and on paper next year Tour suits him a little better than Giro. Rumor is long ITT in Giro is setted to attract W, but not sure how is it going to play out in the end. it is understandable, 100 is attractive number for any rider.:D

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Alphabet said:
I don't think Gesink is a serious threat to the overall victory. He stands a pretty fair chance of a podium, though.
Why do you think that, he is a good climber and has a good time trial. If he stays upright he will have a good shot at the win.
Gesink is not a worse climber then Nibali, Basso, Scarponi and Hesjedal. Wiggins in his ultimate form of 2012 would be hard to beat but other then that he has a good shot for the title.
The last year Gesink was in full recovery mode at the beginning of 2012 and when finally beginning to get in vorm he fell hard in the Tour. Without much preperation he managed to be 6th in the Vuelta.

Leendert82 said:
Why do you think that, he is a good climber and has a good time trial. If he stays upright he will have a good shot at the win.
Gesink is not a worse climber then Nibali, Basso, Scarponi and Hesjedal. Wiggins in his ultimate form of 2012 would be hard to beat but other then that he has a good shot for the title.
The last year Gesink was in full recovery mode at the beginning of 2012 and when finally beginning to get in vorm he fell hard in the Tour. Without much preperation he managed to be 6th in the Vuelta.
With all we've seen from him in the last few years he's just an outside contender for a podium. Let's treat him as such.

Maybe a podium in Paris-Nice is a more realistic goal.

In a few stages of the Vuelta he lost 2 minutes to the best climbers. Three years ago he was right up there with Valverde. That's quite a drop in performance. As a climber he's just nowhere near what he was back then. Probably a combination of the leg break and turning into a time trialist ;)

Right now Wiggins, Hesjedal, Nibali, Rujano, Scarponi should all be rated higher as climbers... I'd even rate Kruijswijk higher.

theyoungest said:
In a few stages of the Vuelta he lost 2 minutes to the best climbers. Three years ago he was right up there with Valverde. That's quite a drop in performance. As a climber he's just nowhere near what he was back then. Probably a combination of the leg break and turning into a time trialist ;)
You seem completely oblivious to what happened to his leg last year and the crash in this year's TdF.

theyoungest said:
Not at all. I was surprised by his level in the Vuelta, actually. And of course we can expect him to be a bit better in the Giro. Problem is, he'll have to be a whole lot better to contend for the podium.

Check this out. Froome wasn't recovering from an injury and/or had a broken leg.

2012 Vuelta Final GC
1 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (SAXO BANK-TINKOFF BANK)
2 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR) +1:16
3 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA) +1:37
4 FROOME, Christopher (SKY PROCYCLING) +10:16
5 MORENO FERNANDEZ, Daniel (KATUSHA) +11:29
6 GESINK, Robert (RABOBANK) +12:23

Considering that was an outstanding performance by Gesink IMO.

theyoungest said:
With all we've seen from him in the last few years he's just an outside contender for a podium. Let's treat him as such.

Whilst a few people were confident in Hesjedal, he was quite a large outsider. I think Gesink 2013 is comparable, except coming up against Wiggins/Nibali/Hesjedal is far more difficult.

cineteq said:
Check this out. Froome wasn't injured and/or has a broken leg.

2012 Vuelta Final GC
1 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (SAXO BANK-TINKOFF BANK)
2 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR) +1:16
3 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA) +1:37
4 FROOME, Christopher (SKY PROCYCLING) +10:16
5 MORENO FERNANDEZ, Daniel (KATUSHA) +11:29
6 GESINK, Robert (RABOBANK) +12:23

Considering that was an outstanding performance by Gesink IMO.

So he finished 11 minutes behind the guy who came 2nd in the Giro...

The performances of both bolded riders mean nothing.

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:

When you are a contender for a Podium your also a contender for the Victory imo.
Im sure you did not think that Hesjedal was a contender for victory last year as well, and yet he won. Gesink had a for him poor 2011 and 2012 due to various reasons (2011 - Loss of his father in race crash and fall in the Tour, 2012 crash late 2011 and fall in the Tour)
However still within these so called poor years he still managed to get good results:
2011:
Win of Tour of Oman
2nd at Tirreno-Adriatico
3rd in Vuelta al Pais Vasco aka. Tour of the basque country
2nd at GP de Québec (behind unbeatable Gilbert)
2012:
Win at Tour California
4th Tour of Switzerland
6th Vuelta Espania