• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the 2013 GIRO? (Second round)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 GIRO?

• Other/Vino

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
In the next Giro Le Tre Cime is the only one overly steep climb, but there are at least 4-5 climbs that are harder than anything Wiggins saw at the last Tour (except maybe Croix De Fer)
But almost all of them will be overpassed at a very sparing rhythm due to emplacement far away from finish.

Also you could consider that in the next Giro Wiggins will likely remain without teammates at a certain point, something that last year never happened.
But we should not run to extremes too. The fact that he may be dropped won't take away his composure, mastery and experience as many people who like to criticize him like to underline. Though, I don't quite understand because of what we might give Nibali any edge in the mountains by default. Rodrigues is an absolutely differest story surely. I don't see Nibali hanging on Purito's attack based on what we saw in this season.

airstream said:
But almost all of them will be overpassed at a very sparing rhythm due to emplacement far away from finish.
Maybe. Just like 'maybe' Wiggins will be as strong as last year.
airstream said:
But we should not run to extremes too. The fact that he may be dropped won't take away his composure
again into the realm of possibilities
airstream said:
I don't see Nibali hanging on Purito's attack based on what we saw in this season.
Nor do I. Nibbles sucks at uphill sprints.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Wiggo as a climber is on par with Nibali, at the very least. And there's a 50 k flattish TT in the race. If he approaches the form of the Tour next year, I don't see how Nibali can beat him.

airstream said:
He smashed Nibali and he would have smashed Nibali even more unsparingly if it had been needed. It was an unconditional victory on all counts. Everything Nibali could do on the climbs was miserable school boy La Toussuire move when he could hang at the distance of 15-20 sec during 4-5 km's. What are we talking about?

But I'm not convinced Wiggins will be there in the form he had at the Tour. Plus it will be a harder race to control, and I could easily see Wiggins getting isolated more. I expect Nibali to be in much better form than we have seen in the past as well, he'll have a stronger team and I think he will be more motivated to win the Giro.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
It's interesting how almost nobody rates Hesjedal... why would he be worse than Gesink, or even Nibali? This is how Vaughters likes it, he'll start as the underdog once again, but to me he has an equal or bigger chance than those guys.

It's down to the endless "weak field" argument that goes around and around the CN forum.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
It's interesting how almost nobody rates Hesjedal... why would he be worse than Gesink, or even Nibali? This is how Vaughters likes it, he'll start as the underdog once again, but to me he has an equal or bigger chance than those guys.

same for me.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:

Hesjedal has zero fan appeal, name one thing about him other than that he won the Giro and that he's always confused as an American but is a Canadian.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:

He's definitely one of the favourites, but it depends on the weather conditions imo. Giro 2012 had rain and cold all over the second and third week, which obviously benefited Hesjedal on the longer run as a much heavier rider than his competitors, except Basso. If the 2013 Giro has relatively good weather it's up to the lighter guys to take the win.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
He's definitely one of the favourites, but it depends on the weather conditions imo. Giro 2012 had rain and cold all over the second and third week, which obviously benefited Hesjedal on the longer run as a much heavier rider than his competitors, except Basso. If the 2013 Giro has relatively good weather it's up to the lighter guys to take the win.

the giro is basically every year rain and cold. only exception was 2005.

ElChingon said:
Hesjedal has zero fan appeal, name one thing about him other than that he won the Giro and that he's always confused as an American but is a Canadian.
He has a funny name.

There, that's another well known fact about Hesjedal.

Pentacycle said:
A rule needs its exceptions once in a while. Giro 2013 better have some nice weather. :cool:
Yeah. Now all they need to do is take out the 50 k flat TT and Purito is the red hot favourite ;)

May 28, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Yeah. Now all they need to do is take out the 50 k flat TT and Purito is the red hot favourite ;)

I'm even considering a nice bet on him. He's a much better climber than Wiggins, if he doesn't have an offday he can win this.
Whatever happens I'm supporting him if he goes.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
I'm even considering a nice bet on him. He's a much better climber than Wiggins, if he doesn't have an offday he can win this.
Whatever happens I'm supporting him if he goes.

Could make for a better race if Purito loses masses in the long ITT - might force his hand before the last 500m.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Eshnar said:
I thought Ryo told us Quintana is not going.
And Scarponi, well, he's just as embarassing as Basso but I wanted to put more than just one italian in the poll :eek:

Scarponi did a bad Giro this year and was still 4th. Embarassing that is not.

theyoungest said:

Of course he has a way bigger chance than Gesink, who needs to improve a sh!t ton over his 2012 level to be considered a podium contender. To just expect that that will happen is nothing more than wishful thinking, IMO. I think Nibali is generally more consistent than Hesjedal, though, although both have their bad days.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Of course he has a way bigger chance than Gesink, who needs to improve a sh!t ton over his 2012 level to be considered a podium contender. To just expect that that will happen is nothing more than wishful thinking, IMO. I think Nibali is generally more consistent than Hesjedal, though, although both have their bad days.

Don't be blinded by the Vuelta where he had virtually no preparation.
But yeah Gesink needs a combination of his 2010 climbing level with his 2011/2012 time trial level to be able to stand a chance. Remains to be seen..but if he has a flawless preparation for once...

Dekker_Tifosi said:
But yeah Gesink needs a combination of his 2010 climbing level with his 2011/2012 time trial level to be able to stand a chance. Remains to be seen..but if he has a flawless preparation for once...
Delahaye is still his trainer, so I'm not holding my breath ;)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

you keep saying that for every race in the past 2 years of gesink :rolleyes: his vuelta prep was fine. he even did the tour. this is just his level now. pathetic I know. when he was 22 he was already at his peak and the crashes and lack of mentality have only made it worse

Ryo Hazuki said:
you keep saying that for every race in the past 2 years of gesink :rolleyes: his vuelta prep was fine. he even did the tour. this is just his level now. pathetic I know. when he was 22 he was already at his peak and the crashes and lack of mentality have only made it worse
You keep saying that for all of his career ;)

BTW he was arguably at his strongest in the 2010... he was 24 then. And no, his Vuelta prep wasn't good at all. Remember Burgos?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
You keep saying that for all of his career ;)

BTW he was arguably at his strongest in the 2010... he was 24 then. And no, his Vuelta prep wasn't good at all. Remember Burgos?

burgos? he crashed again there? don't remember. the vuelta in which he crashed was the best he ever was(2009?). the tour 2010 he also got dropped and lucky a few times that the peloton stopped. like in that final mountainstage. gesink looks and sounds in his 30s. he has only gotten less explosive since turning pro and he isn't improving for years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS