• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Who will win the 2024 Tour de France? Pre-race poll.

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2024 Tour de France?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
They don't seem that confident like you said.

Indeed that is a revealing article. As Zeeman said:-
“It wasn’t just a broken collarbone,” he said. "We must not forget that it was a crash with a very big impact. There's also the fear of another fall. After the Dauphiné I drove on to Tignes, so I talked to him about it a lot.”
That is not the brash and confident Visma I am used to hearing. If Vingegaard understandably fears another fall then maybe skipping the Tour until his head is right is advisable.

If Vingegaard does choose to ride then I think if Jonas is competitive that is more than enough after what he has suffered. But I can understand why his fans might try to find any cause for optimism.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I'm surprised that Pogacar is rated that much higher than Vingegaard. To me, they're about equal favorites to win the Tour. It's almost impossible to see anyone else winning, so perhaps we should instead discuss who's the most likely to podium, but now that everyone else has already handed out stars based on winning chances, I'll do that as well:
You didn't hear about Vingegaard's crash?

We know everything now: Vingo is back. After thinking about it for a while my take is that JV were so satisfied with his anaerobic threshold test that they decided to take him to the race. UAE will want to test him early for sure and drop him but maybe it won't be that simple due to Vingo's good numbers (as probably noticed by JV).

What JV doesn't know is how he responds to a 3-week race (which will be ridden hard by UAE surely). Contrary to what many thought (i.e. Vingo starting slowly and building during the race) it may turn out to be the opposite: Vingo starting well (good power numbers and freshness) but fading afterwards.

WvA & Vingegaard to the Tour? Well, Visma are running out of healthy guys so they might have pushed extra hard for them to return. Would Vingegaard have gone to the Tour if Roglic was still there? We'll have to see, but if Vingegaard starts to descend like Zakarin and climb like Cavendish, then he's come back too quickly.
I'm betting on the first two stages going more then 40 km/h.

Edit- add make that 45km/h!

Last edited:
We know everything now: Vingo is back. After thinking about it for a while my take is that JV were so satisfied with his anaerobic threshold test that they decided to take him to the race. UAE will want to test him early for sure and drop him but maybe it won't be that simple due to Vingo's good numbers (as probably noticed by JV).

What JV doesn't know is how he responds to a 3-week race (which will be ridden hard by UAE surely). Contrary to what many thought (i.e. Vingo starting slowly and building during the race) it may turn out to be the opposite: Vingo starting well (good power numbers and freshness) but fading afterwards.
Is there some news about Vingegaard today?

• Haha
Reactions: Krzysztof_O
One thing is for sure it's shaping up to be the most narratively convoluted pre-Tour ever in terms of predictions, IMO.

Just a small sample of some social media/forum reactions from fans & journalists reveals a pretty broad spectrum of absolute conclusions: Pog will dominate, Vinge will dominate, Pog & Vinge will have a tight battle, Vinge will start strong & then tire, Vinge will start slow & then get faster, Rog is past it, Evenepoel doesn't stand a chance, Rodriguez will get third, UAE will get 123, Yates will finish second etc. etc.

Everyone has an opinion... & no one really knows. I guess that's what makes this on paper a pretty exciting TdF.