• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Giro?

Who wins the Maglia Rosa?

• Chaves

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Dumoulin

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Nibali

Votes: 41 36.0%
  • Pozzovivo

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Landa

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • Zakarin

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Valverde

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • Uran

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Majka

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Difficult to look past Nibali for me. His form hasn't been great recently, but he usually (last year notwithstanding) manages to peak pretty well for GTs. Valverde second favourite - skipping Amstel suggests he's going all in for the Giro with his prep - and if he has similar form to the TdF last year he could win.

I don't have much faith in Landa. Too unproven. We don't know how well he can respond to bad weather, pressure of being leader and expectations, plus the TTs wont help him. I think canny, experienced operators like Nibali and particularly Valverde will get inside his head and force him to waste too much energy.

Re:

saganftw said:
if landa is anywhere near his trentino form he will crush the fools but i suspect he peaked little bit too soon (unless it wasnt his peak :D :eek: :rolleyes: ) so Nibali for me

i dont trust anyone else

if he is in his giro last year form, but with a small but significant improvement in TT's, he wins handily.

For now my pick is Nibali. There are doubts about his form, but I think he will be good enough. He doesn't even have to be outright the strongest in the race as due to his versatily he has multiple ways to win it, multiple places to ambush his rivals should it be needed. Also, he has the strongest team in support. The Giro has pretty much the perfect parcours for Nibali this year.

Only if he repeates the mistakes done in the build up to the last Tour, will he be out of contention.

Voted for Landa, although not 100% sold on his mental strength in case something goes bad in the first week.
Nibali and Valverde are more versatile and more used to cope with adversities.
Zakarin is my personal joker. No idea on his recovery over three weekes, but he can surely challenge all of them uphill and in time trials.
I think Uran and Kruijswijk will do a great Giro too.

I'm surprised hardly anyone is worried about Nibali because of his Trentino performance. That was probably the worst Nibali I have ever seen, even worse than in the dauphine last year and as we know from last year, the bad preparation race was a sign for a messed up peak. I also thought Nibali would be the huge favorite but now I just can't see past Landa. Lo Squalo has to be at 100% if he wants to beat him and I don't really expect that.

Watch out for Uran, Formolo is in great shape and can give him a huge hand... I'm not sure about his ITTs, but if he can keep it up on second week, Formolo will be a factor...

Bala is my safe pick (I can see him on podium with ease), but I'm thinking that Cannondale has a huge opportunity here!

Re: Re:

Singer01 said:
saganftw said:
if landa is anywhere near his trentino form he will crush the fools but i suspect he peaked little bit too soon (unless it wasnt his peak :D :eek: :rolleyes: ) so Nibali for me

i dont trust anyone else

if he is in his giro last year form, but with a small but significant improvement in TT's, he wins handily.
Not sure it would really work like that. How good is he at defending a lead, when he's being repeatedly attacked? How will he handle the pressure of being the favourite? There are too many unknown's regarding Landa's abilities to challenge over three weeks - both physical and mental.

The guy has never even been the leader in a week long WT stage race in his career so far, let alone having won one. He seems like the kind of rider suited to being an underdog - going on ambitious long range attacks. How would he play it if he ended up in the Maglia Rosa after the first two weeks?

DFA123 said:
Singer01 said:
saganftw said:

i dont trust anyone else

Not sure it would really work like that. How good is he at defending a lead, when he's being repeatedly attacked? How will he handle the pressure of being the favourite? There are too many unknown's regarding Landa's abilities to challenge over three weeks - both physical and mental.

The guy has never even been the leader in a week long WT stage race in his career so far, let alone having won one. He seems like the kind of rider suited to being an underdog - going on ambitious long range attacks. How would he play it if he ended up in the Maglia Rosa after the first two weeks?

judging from the last time he was in leaders jersey he will catch every attack by himself :D

saganftw said:
DFA123 said:
Singer01 said:
saganftw said:

i dont trust anyone else

judging from the last time he was in leaders jersey he will catch every attack by himself :D

That would be pretty awesome to watch :)

I would worry for him though if he takes the MR too early in the race. It'd be difficult for him to stay cool and resist the urge to follow everything.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Nibali seems underwhelming this year. Landa so far seems like a videogame creation, surely that cannot last. Valverde, awesome as he may be, spits the bit in stage races. He would be who I want to win. Zakarin, I am not sold on. Uran has not reached the level of a few years ago, but I am in the US and reduced to reading interwebs reports. Continuing we have Chaves, who is too young and Doumoulin who claims to be just here for TTs. There is one more There is one rising star who may finally be unleashed, who can put out a decent TT and climb, Majka. Now you know who the one person who voted for Majka, is and why he did so. (also things never go to form so a Nibali, Landa, Valverde podium is logical but not necessarily probable).

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Nibali will be in 2014 TDF shape. So he will win.

Landa will be the best climber, but they are few opportunities to show it. So 2nd for me.

I think Uran will surprise and fight for the 3rd spot with Valverde. I think Bala will struggle in the (likely) cold conditions.

Chaves, Hesjedal, Zakarin and Kruiswijk to battle for the top-5.

Don't know what to expect from Majka and Dumoulin.

Possible surprises: Firsanov and Taaramae.