• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Giro?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who wins the Maglia Rosa?

• Chaves

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Dumoulin

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Nibali

Votes: 41 36.0%
  • Pozzovivo

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Landa

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • Zakarin

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Valverde

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • Uran

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Majka

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Very well.. I just think the competition was very weak in 2013, as it was in 2014, but I'll give him 2014.

Im not disputing he is a better GC-rider than Landa,he is, but to me, Landa has that wow-factor in the mountains, he is a natural. Think of all the erratic climbers in the past. Many people will still claim its all too early and will still be critical of his Giro last year, but the fact of the matter is that he without a doubt was the strongest in the mountains - Aru and Contador are no scrubs.

That's a weak argument.It was used extensively here to diminish Wiggins win,than against Nibali.Nibali 2013 almost made the double,the 2014 one had the numbers of Froome.He certainly had the wow-factor during those GT's delivering a lot of entertainment,kinda unexpected from him considering his Vuelta win.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Here's what the market has to say thus far (bet365, not adjusted for overround)

uoowCAT.png

edt: included zaka

What information do you have about the market? Is it fair to assume that there is an over representation of Italians and that they as a group are more biased towards Italian riders? What is the liquidity?

Obviously, the market is irrational, to a certain degree, but it is interesting to examine if it's of a more unbalanced nature.

My take, as of this moment:

Favorites: You're in this group if you need to muster up your form from two years, twelve months, or twenty hours ago
Nibali Landa Zakarin

Contenders: Your're in this group if you're a good climber who needs to be great in order to win it
Valverde Uran Majka Chaves Dumoulin

Dark Horses: You're in this group if your last name has more consonants than vowels
Kruijswijk Pozzovivo Fuglsang Firsanov Hesjedal

Unless someone takes some major, unexpected gaps, I get the feeling the time trial will only muddy the picture.

Re:

carton said:
My take, as of this moment:

Favorites: You're in this group if you need to muster up your form from two years, twelve months, or twenty hours ago
Nibali Landa Zakarin

Contenders: Your're in this group if you're a good climber who needs to be great in order to win it
Valverde Uran Majka Chaves Dumoulin

Dark Horses: You're in this group if your last name has more consonants than vowels
Kruijswijk Pozzovivo Fuglsang Firsanov Hesjedal

Unless someone takes some major, unexpected gaps, I get the feeling the time trial will only muddy the picture.

Such a smirk-inducing post :D

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
Hope says Kruijswijk.
Heart says Landa.
Mind says Zakarocket.

Let's wait what Nibali & Valverde tell in the end.

Heart says Valverde, mind says Nibali. But both, heart and mind are little afraid of Landa ;)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
This is a perfect example why betting odds dont show who will most likely to win because dumoulin was definitely never more likely to win than valverde

Your reasoning here is akin to rejecting the notion that a coin had a 50% chance to land heads because it landed tails.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
Gigs_98 said:
This is a perfect example why betting odds dont show who will most likely to win because dumoulin was definitely never more likely to win than valverde

Your reasoning here is akin to rejecting the notion that a coin had a 50% chance to land heads because it landed tails.
Nah, even before yesterday it was obvious Valverde was much more likely to win the Giro than Dumoulin, even if only because one has a monster team and the other rides with a bunch of losers.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

CheckMyPecs said:
SeriousSam said:
Gigs_98 said:

Nah, even before yesterday it was obvious Valverde was much more likely to win the Giro than Dumoulin, even if only because one has a monster team and the other rides with a bunch of losers.
Perhaps it was. If you were regularly producing predictions that fit the data better than the odds I would be more inclined to believe you.

The key point I'm making, though, is that a small number of data points isn't a lot of information with which to evaluate probabilistic predictions. Especially not if we're dealing with probabilities like 5% or 20%.

Netserk said:
What information do you have about the market? Is it fair to assume that there is an over representation of Italians and that they as a group are more biased towards Italian riders? What is the liquidity?

Obviously, the market is irrational, to a certain degree, but it is interesting to examine if it's of a more unbalanced nature.
I don't have any data on bettor composition. According to odds-checker, Nibali is the most backed contender and as I said, I haven't corrected for overround so better odds than the ones in the graph are almost certainly lower for Nibali and Landa.

Liquidity is always bad in cycling compared to other sports, you can check out the amount matched, the bid-ask spread and the recent volume on betfair.