• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Who Will Win the Vuelta 2019?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Vuelta 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Burgos finished on Saturday, so they must have paid good money to get him to the Netherlands the day after, I guess.

Kruijswijk did the same one though, so it's not that it's too unusual
20k it was

and Movistar didn't know about it. His agent made the deal without informing the team

Crits are more dangerous than normal training rides.
Are they? Are they more dangerous than riding on public roads with distracted drivers and speeding cars etc?

All I’m saying is I don’t think Carapaz took an undue risk by riding a bicycle race on a Sunday before starting an important 3-week bicycle race the following Saturday.

I doubt that it’s the most ideal preparation for someone with ambitions to win the important 3-week bicycle race, but that’s a completely separate discussion.

Reactions: search
Colombians huddle on the left. Roglic with the extra long soccer socks.

EClXSFUX4AA2b-F.jpg:large

ECmifvQU0AAI5IA.jpg:large

I wonder if Valverde will ever accept his hair might not be "groomable" anymore. :) I know how he feels though, I'm in the same place.

Well he finally appears to have accepted the fact that he can't do anything about the fact he's loosing his hair. You need to give him more time. However, don't expect him to ever shave it. His oldest brother has worse hair loss and doesn't shave his. (Their middle brother is fully bald).

Its not a rubbish field...only Ineos missing really
Jumbo, Movistar (ex Carapaz now) Astana & EF brought their best

I am going with Roglic, MAL & Valverde for the podium
I don't know. Seems super weak to me.

The favorite is Roglic, who's faded at the end of his last two GTs.
MAL should be solid

After that a whole lot of question marks:

Chaves and Aru are still trying to regain top form after illnesses and injury.

Majka, Kelderman, and Meintjes:rolleyes:

Pogacar is in his first GT

And then a few guys doing back-to back GTs. Who knows how they'll go? Of that group, Bala and Krushweak are supposedly not even riding for GC and who knows what to expect from Uran and Nairo these days even when they aren't coming off another GT? Aru makes this list as well.

Who else? Latour?

I don't know, seems like a lackluster field to me but I do expect some good racing .

Reactions: Noddy97
I don't know. Seems super weak to me.

The favorite is Roglic, who's faded at the end of his last two GTs.
MAL should be solid

After that a whole lot of question marks:

Chaves and Aru are still trying to regain top form after illnesses and injury.

Majka, Kelderman, and Meintjes:rolleyes:

Pogacar is in his first GT

And then a few guys doing back-to back GTs. Who knows how they'll go? Of that group, Bala and Krushweak are supposedly not even riding for GC and who knows what to expect from Uran and Nairo these days even when they aren't coming off another GT? Aru makes this list as well.

Who else? Latour?

I don't know, seems like a lackluster field to me but I do expect some good racing .
This tour had a very weak field too. I think the level of the gc contenders is lower than 5/10 years ago.

Seemingly Chaves is flying ...good..... someone to give Roglic & Valverde a run for their money on the Murs

MAL & Quintana should come into play later on

Cant for the life of me think why Fuglsang turned up....after such a hard spring and Tour ...you'd think he would need a rest and Astana have enough Doms for MAL
Same with Stevie K

Makja and TJ should top 10

This tour had a very weak field too. I think the level of the gc contenders is lower than 5/10 years ago.

First and foremost providing a link to dubious statistics doesn't prove anything
Some teams strength in points is based on classic wins etc ....not a valid measure for climbing strength at GTs and not really significant

Secondly the ludicrous idea that riders are weaker than 10 years ago is ridiculous and without evidence ...
It is obvious that one drugs are not in play like back then but also recent GTs have been very fast with some climbs in the last few GTs climbed faster than any time since the early 2000s and some faster than ever before with power outputs very high

Also it is obvious that PCS points mean little if alot of riders are at the same level which is the case ...as points are distributed more evenly than when there were fewer riders wining more races

This is not an indication of weakness just an indication of many riders are at or near the same level ...which seems to be the case

But I dont know why I bother writing this as so many moaners on here who think strength is only Pantani (who was doped to the gills) and refuse to see that cycling has changed and riders are as strong but clean and there are several similar level riders rather than a few way out in front

And anyway true racing is not about Ineos type 'strength' being present but about similar level competition, attacking racing without the control

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
Seemingly Chaves is flying ...good..... someone to give Roglic & Valverde a run for their money on the Murs

MAL & Quintana should come into play later on

Cant for the life of me think why Fuglsang turned up....after such a hard spring and Tour ...you'd think he would need a rest and Astana have enough Doms for MAL
Same with Stevie K

Makja and TJ should top 10

Fuglsang didn't complete the hardest part of the Tour which is the only thing in his favour but then no one did completely due to the stage changes. Some of the Tour riders might be a little fresher than usual going into the Vuelta but Fuglsang's spring form seemed to be already on the wane before he crashed out. Astana must be short of mountain doms.

TRENDING THREADS