• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who wins Giro 2014?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who wins Giro 2014?

• Other/Rujano/Cisse De Greef

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Against all odds

Uran had such a bad year so far, things can only get better. So why not? I think he can do it. With Brambilla and de Gendt he has two very good domestiques in the mountains. Besides, it has been far too long for Quickstep to win a GT! :D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
AC were 24 when he won the tour. Aru is 24 this year. Aru wins the giro and becomes the new AC :p

spock-meme-generator-your-logic-seems-kinda-flawless-9ef198.jpg

Vino attacks everyone said:
Aru. Quintana will dissapoint big time, while the italian climbs like a ****ings angel.

Winning it? I don't know. But I do believe he's got a real shot at the podium if he stays healthy for three weeks.
Astana is among the strongest teams here + he'll benefit from racing alongside Scarponi.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Does Cadel's recent showing suggest that this race is more open than previously thought? Personally hoping for a furious battle between Quintana and Rodriguez in the mountains :)

Gloin22 said:
Meh, he'll fade away in last week. Will be in contention with best for first week or two though.

Yes that is what everyone was saying in the 2011 TDF too - but the last week of that Tour he was the strongest. Realistically though I still think it is between Quintana and JRod for the win (I voted Quintana). Uran and Pozzovivo look like Evans main competition for 3rd step on the podium.

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
No one is talking about Hesjedal, but he will, normally, participate at the next Giro. He was really confident and he wants to win again this race. He should be the team leader with Dan Martin for Garmin. Farrar said recently that he believes that Hesjedal can win again another GT. I know he didn't do yet good results this year, but he began the competition later than the other contenders of the Giro d'Italia and Tour de France this year, so he was not at his top shape. I believe that he can do really well in the Giro if he is at his best.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Jspear said:
Jrod is not a very good tt'er either. Moviestar should do better than Katusha in the team tt. The only tt that will really be a problem for Quintana is the 40+ K one in the middle of the race. But, it will be just as much of a problem for Jrod...he doesn't do very good in longer flat tt's. If Jrod is able to do better than Quintana in the mountain tt, it probably will only serve to make up for the time he loses to Quintana in the team tt. Personally I don't think the tt's will make much of a difference between those two riders.

the itt for quintana won't be a problem at all. he will top 20 or possibly even top10 that and atke 1-2 minutes on purito easily.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Given the profile, Quintana might even win the TT. He won't take minutes on Purito though, their TT strengths and weaknesses are quite similar.

quintana is a natural itt rider with great position. purito is horrible and is altered so much as to force him into something itt-like. they couldn't be more dissimilar in itt strenghts and weaknesses. purito is explosive and technical. quintana needs long straight roads to get his diesel going.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
the itt for quintana won't be a problem at all. he will top 20 or possibly even top10 that and atke 1-2 minutes on purito easily.

Why then did he lose a minute on Purito in the Chorges TT, and finished only one second in front of him in the other flat TT?