• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who wins Giro 2014?

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who wins Giro 2014?

• Other/Rujano/Cisse De Greef

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
In 2010 Ivan was 35th in the tour of romandy but he was still able to win the Giro.
One thing is sure about recent years Basso: you cannot tell anything about his form by looking at preparatory races.
Additionaly the route plays in his advantage: this year Giro is backloaded enough for him to get into form only in the second half and still have a chance for podium.

Cookster15 said:
Forget Basso. Uran is now the dark horse after his very strong TT at Romandie.

He is the rider no one seems to be talking about. I think he has a good chance. If Basso won it would be a bigger surprise than Horner winning the Vuelta. Basso was great in 2010 but that was four years ago. I would be very surprised if Evans finished behind Basso.

movingtarget said:
He is the rider no one seems to be talking about. I think he has a good chance. If Basso won it would be a bigger surprise than Horner winning the Vuelta. Basso was great in 2010 but that was four years ago. I would be very surprised if Evans finished behind Basso.

Wait what?
If being great means winning a GT Horner had never been a great in his whole career.

movingtarget said:

Uran is in uncharted territory though...quick check just showed that the last lefevre rider to finish top 10 in a grand tour was carlos barredo at the 07 vuelta :eek:

aarnold517 said:
Uran is in uncharted territory though...quick check just showed that the last lefevre rider to finish top 10 in a grand tour was carlos barredo at the 07 vuelta :eek:

He'll probably have to do it on his own, but wasn't that the case last year as well? Also, without the handicap of dropping back for Wiggins in the first week or so

postmanhat said:
He'll probably have to do it on his own, but wasn't that the case last year as well? Also, without the handicap of dropping back for Wiggins in the first week or so

Why would he have to do it alone? It looks like OPQS will at least be going with the idea of supporting him.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uran-leads-omega-pharma-quickstep-at-giro-ditalia

They've got several climbers to support him, and it's not like they have to support Cav or anything. I personally think he'll have some support....not like Katusha or Moviestar, but he'll have some.

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm interested in seeing how well will do Fabio Duarte. He's done a good Giro del Trentino and he's very familiar with Italy.
I believe he'll do much better than last year.

SafeBet said:
Wait what?
If being great means winning a GT Horner had never been a great in his whole career.

Simply the circumstances. Horner has always been a good climber and he went into the Vuelta fresh unlike Rodriguez and Nibali who had full seasons behind them. The route suited Horner but of course I would not have picked him to win it because of his age. I thought he would possibly podium at best. Basso's career is winding down and he is a different sort of rider to Horner. Basso showed signs in the Vuelta last year but had to pull out. I would have loved to see Horner ride the Giro.

I think if Basso can top 5 it will be an excellent result but I don't think it will happen. Basso seems to be similar to Menchov and Sastre in that their career results dropped off pretty quickly in their mid thirties. Evans and Horner have been able to be competitive for longer for whatever reasons. Horner is the more talented version of Jens Voght. Tough riders and very enthusiastic even late in their careers. Evans also seems to thrive on competing. It would be very interesting and entertaining if Evans and Basso did well but it probably won't be enough to beat Quintana.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
b3n3v3nt3 said:
I'm interested in seeing how well will do Fabio Duarte. He's done a good Giro del Trentino and he's very familiar with Italy.
I believe he'll do much better than last year.

Same here, He's always been talked up about having tons of talent. But seems to have become a lost cause, and the talent gone to waste. He's gotten some decent results of late though. I'm hoping he can live up to some of his previous hype and get some good results. He definitely could use some results.

1. Quintana
2. Hesjedal
3. Rodriguez
4. Uran
5. Basso
6. Scarponi
7. Evans
8. Pozzovivo
9. Cunego
10. Henao

I hope for Quintana's sake he doesn't lose too much in the first two weeks. In the mountain stages in the final week he should be the strongest, and might become the second Columbian to win a GT. There are three Columbians in my top ten and I also wonder about Duarte.

I wonder if an Italian will make the podium. There seems to be a lack of young talent in Italy, although a new name can always break through (Fabio Aru?).

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Pantani_lives said:
1. Quintana
2. Hesjedal
3. Rodriguez
4. Uran
5. Basso
6. Scarponi
7. Evans
8. Pozzovivo
9. Cunego
10. Henao

I hope for Quintana's sake he doesn't lose too much in the first two weeks. In the mountain stages in the final week he should be the strongest, and might become the second Columbian to win a GT. There are three Columbians in my top ten and I also wonder about Duarte.

I wonder if an Italian will make the podium. There seems to be a lack of young talent in Italy, although a new name can always break through (Fabio Aru?).

It's Sebastian, not Sergio. top 10 in his first GT seems a tad unlikely. ;)

Rodriguez to come second, as sure as eggs. Always the bridesmaid.....

I know there is another thread, but Rojas to get a lot of 4th to 9th's positions, concentrating on 4th's.

And finally, use Colombian not Columbian. Doesn't bother me but some people blow a fuse with Columbian.

Pantani_lives said:
Alright, I'll replace Henao by Duarte, but what's so ridiculous about Hesjedal? He did win it two years ago.

What has Hesjedal shown since winning the Giro 2 year ago? Could he get top 10 sure. Top 5 - maybe. But I don't think he'll podium....competition will be too much for him. I personally think Quintana, Jrod, Evans, Scarponi, will at least be ahead of him....maybe even more.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
wirral said:
Rodriguez to come second, as sure as eggs. Always the bridesmaid.....

I know there is another thread, but Rojas to get a lot of 4th to 9th's positions, concentrating on 4th's.

And finally, use Colombian not Columbian. Doesn't bother me but some people blow a fuse with Columbian.

Rojas won't be racing but I think you'll see similar results from Fran Ventoso.

Jspear said:
What has Hesjedal shown since winning the Giro 2 year ago? Could he get top 10 sure. Top 5 - maybe. But I don't think he'll podium....competition will be too much for him. I personally think Quintana, Jrod, Evans, Scarponi, will at least be ahead of him....maybe even more.

It's true that Hesjedal hasn't done much in the last two years, but that was partly due to crashes. I'm just wondering if he's riding the Giro to prepare the Tour or as a goal in itself. I have no idea about his current shape, so he's doubtful indeed.

People like Basso, Scarponi, Cunego and Evans might have their best years behind them, although they could still have one good Giro left in them. There will probably be some surprise names in the top ten.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Jspear said:
Why would he have to do it alone? It looks like OPQS will at least be going with the idea of supporting him.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uran-leads-omega-pharma-quickstep-at-giro-ditalia

They've got several climbers to support him, and it's not like they have to support Cav or anything. I personally think he'll have some support....not like Katusha or Moviestar, but he'll have some.
They've got the 2012 nr 3 in their team (who specifically asked for a domestique role this year); Brambilla can climb; Pauwels can be a decent lieutenant for the first 150k; Poels seems to be in great shape; and Serry is a good rider.

They will definitely not dominate, but they have a very decent team.

But then again: it's quick step and Omega Pharma going for GT: Olano, Tonkov, Evans,...

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
They've got the 2013 nr 3 in their team (who specifically asked for a domestique role this year); Brambilla can climb; Pauwels can be a decent lieutenant for the first 150k; Poels seems to be in great shape; and Serry is a good rider.

They will definitely not dominate, but they have a very decent team.

But then again: it's quick step and Omega Pharma going for GT: Olano, Tonkov, Evans,...

De Gendt could decide to be good again, too. Certainly helpful for the TTT.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Pippo_San said:
The ridiculous part is that he actually did win it.
A big sad fluke, somehow comparable to Pereiro's Tour win (somehow I said, don't get ahead of yourselves :D )

Omg,you are starting to be ridiculous these last few days.:eek:
He won it after a tough battle not riding in 20+ minutes freakin breakaway lol