• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who wins the giro now?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who Wins the giro

• S. Kruiswuijk.

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • V. Nibali

Votes: 44 51.2%
  • E. Chavez.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • Majka to go nuclear and win with 10 minutes (vino option)

Votes: 8 9.3%

• Total voters
Re:

Djoop said:
Yes, this is going to be the Giro in which a rider won who made clever use of the fact the leader fell and got isolated. Karma is a *** tho, some ravine is out there waiting for Nibali to get even with Steven.
Here's some advice for you: sign off, take a deep breath, relax, and come back in a couple of hours only if you can look at things a wee bit more objectively. Otherwise you're only going to make yourself look like an idiot, or get banned.

Impossible to say. I have no idea who spent too much today and who will recover best

Fingers crossed for Nibali but it's going to be super exciting whatever happens

PremierAndrew said:
Imagine if Bala turns up and wins it

I think the most insane thing about this Giro might be that that's still not even outside the realms of realistic possibility heh (I mean it basically is, but he's close enough that there's at least ways to understand how it would happen)

a great conflict of interest for me, since I love Chavito and as a compatriot would like him very much to win it , but I have been Nibs fan a long time & love his heart & warrior skills........ either one of them winning Il Giro be great nonetheless :)

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Re:

hfer07 said:
a great conflict of interest for me, since I love Chavito and as a compatriot would like him very much to win it , but I have been Nibs fan a long time & love his heart & warrior skills........ either one of them winning Il Giro be great nonetheless :)
My thoughts exactly :D

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
well, Nibali will regret even more these additional 20 sec for the bike change during his miserable MTT

in any case, Nibs cannot really rely on the last climb, 44 sec on Chavito is quite something even with the help of time bonuses, but on the other hand, Lo Squalo is not that comfortable to expend too much energy trying to escape from him before the descent from Bonette

Re: Who win the giro now?

Forever The Best said:
Gigs_98 said:
I would like to vote but I just have no idea. I would all three give almost the same chances. Kruijswijk will win if he is in the MTT shape again, but will he? And besides that Nibali will probably be slightly stronger than Chaves but enough to gain 50 more seconds? I have absolutely no clue.
Nibali gained 50 seconds on a way easier climb.Tomorrows stage is way harder.
I wish extrapolations work in cycling like they work in math!

Re:

Escarabajo said:
Why is everyone so sure that Nibali will have the same performance as today?

Or even Chaves.

Who recovers better? hard to say.

It will be very exciting anyway you put it.

Feel horrible for SK.
Don't think we can be sure about anything in the Giro any more! But Nibali ended the stage today significantly stronger than Chaves. Chaves probably had to dig deeper and spend longer in the red trying to follow a pace that he couldn't sustain - so, in theory, Nibali should be able to recover a bit more easily.

Re: Who win the giro now?

Escarabajo said:
Forever The Best said:
Gigs_98 said:
I would like to vote but I just have no idea. I would all three give almost the same chances. Kruijswijk will win if he is in the MTT shape again, but will he? And besides that Nibali will probably be slightly stronger than Chaves but enough to gain 50 more seconds? I have absolutely no clue.
Nibali gained 50 seconds on a way easier climb.Tomorrows stage is way harder.
I wish extrapolations work in cycling like they work in math!
As DFA123 says Chavez went into the red at the end so I see Nibbles recovering better.Also Nibali should go early on Lombarde after Astana shreds to peloton to several riders on Bonette.Plus Nibbles just got extremely better out of nowhere today so he may even get better tomorrow.Also Chavez looked a bit fading to me.

Re: Re:

Netserk said:
Popchu said:
What's the best strategy for Nibali? In my opinion, hard to say.
Astana train to set a hard pace on all climbs, Nibali to launch early on Lombarde.
Of course. I reckon he'll be willing to go all out on a descent as it's the last stage, too. Question is will he drop Chaves? I'm not sure. I think Chaves went more into the red today, but tomorrow Nibali could have a bad day and his recovery hasn't really been great so far this Giro, although in the stage before hand he went 25k solo. I don't know.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The sharps see it as a neck on neck race between Nibali and Chaves. No chance for Crashweak

13IOu29.png