Why are UK riders now more successful?

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
647
0
0
As a first Cat amateur I was in Tenerife for work, took the bike along, and stayed for a week to do some training. It's just one great big hill, and the traffic is mental around the coast roads. If you start at sea level and ride all the way to the top it is a very long climb.

I rode a while on the wheel of Stephan Schreck (then of T-Mobile) - he was really struggling on the climb. I saw Leipheimer descending down the other way too.

This was february 2007.
 
Apr 19, 2010
1,845
0
0
Benotti69 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2TVUiahoJI

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6106/Arrests-made-in-Spanish-Clenbuterol-investigation-in-Gran-Canaria-and-Tenerife.aspx

"Gran Canaria and Tenerife are popular training locations for professional cyclists due to the terrain and possibility of altitude training on the latter. The alleged doping doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, who was at the epicentre of the Operación Puerto doping affair, lives in Gran Canaria."
"TeamSky are doing what other teams who have used this operation, doping preparation"

It doesn't seem to mention team Sky in those links.....
 
Benotti69 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2TVUiahoJI

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6106/Arrests-made-in-Spanish-Clenbuterol-investigation-in-Gran-Canaria-and-Tenerife.aspx

"Gran Canaria and Tenerife are popular training locations for professional cyclists due to the terrain and possibility of altitude training on the latter. The alleged doping doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, who was at the epicentre of the Operación Puerto doping affair, lives in Gran Canaria."
Do any of them speak Italian though?

Oh yes, Rogers, he lives there. Thats that then, guilty as charged.
 
All insinuations aside, given the alleged use of clenbuterol in farm animals in Tenerife, I really hope Sky are being extra careful with their sourcing of food.

I assume they have thier own chef there for a camp like this.
 
Jul 13, 2010
178
0
0
Benotti69 said:
A remote location with an empty hotel means lots of things. They can do what they want with no one watching and the can see very quickly if anyone arrives
It's a major holiday destination, not the North pole. And who is going to arrive??
 
Jul 13, 2010
178
0
0
And what do they do when the OOC testers arrive?? Transfuse themselves with clean blood?? Wear longer-than-usual black socks to hide the fact that their ankles resemble pin cushions? Run away and hide in the hills??
 
Oct 30, 2011
2,642
0
0
2008885 said:
And what do they do when the OOC testers arrive?? Transfuse themselves with clean blood?? Wear longer-than-usual black socks to hide the fact that their ankles resemble pin cushions? Run away and hide in the hills??
Well, you go to the loo. Drink loads of water to dilute whatever is in your system. Make sure it's someone else who answers. Clear away any possible evidence of drug testing.

Not saying they have to do this, just that if you get 5-10 minutes warning of a drugs test, this is what you do.

The shower remark is in reference to one time Lance Armstrong was allowed a rather long shower when some drugs testers arrived at the door.
 
Jul 13, 2010
178
0
0
Caruut said:
Well, you go to the loo. Drink loads of water to dilute whatever is in your system. Make sure it's someone else who answers. Clear away any possible evidence of drug testing.

Not saying they have to do this, just that if you get 5-10 minutes warning of a drugs test, this is what you do.

The shower remark is in reference to one time Lance Armstrong was allowed a rather long shower when some drugs testers arrived at the door.
I am aware of the meaning of the shower reference - you should discard the notion that only Clinic regulars know anything about sports and doping.

So in 15 minutes you can drink enough water to dilute dope in your urine down to current testing limits?? I'd like to see you try.
 
Mar 4, 2010
1,826
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
Remember Thomas Frei?
He said that drinking 1 (2?) litre of water after micro-dosing EPO, before going to bed, could make the difference between testing positive and testing clean the next morning. Doesn't mean you can "drink loads of water to dilute whatever is in your system" in just "5-10 minutes".
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
1
0
2008885 said:
I am aware of the meaning of the shower reference - you should discard the notion that only Clinic regulars know anything about sports and doping.

So in 15 minutes you can drink enough water to dilute dope in your urine down to current testing limits?? I'd like to see you try.
So why are you in here, apart from trolling?
 
Jul 13, 2010
178
0
0
In your case I was pointing out that part of your "Sky dope" evidence ie that Tenerife is deserted, is highly wrong.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
1
0
2008885 said:
In your case I was pointing out that part of your "Sky dope" evidence ie that Tenerife is deserted, is highly wrong.
Wiggins words old boy; "We have altitude, heat and virtually empty roads most days."

"....virtually empty roads most days"

'Wiggins and Sky set up camp in a remote hotel'.

"....There are no distractions....." obviously full of tourists then for the no distractions hey?

No Wiggins is not following in the footsteps of others. He is doing it differently, marginal gains ;)
 
Apr 17, 2009
308
0
0
All Wiggins has to do is say "I ride clean, I don't dope."

Not difficult.

Then "spinless ****ers" like me would have pause for thought and might start showing him a bit of respect.

But he can't bring himself to lie at the moment, so he's decided to clam up and refuse to engage with the question. I remember Armstrong used to adopt a similar approach before the show got too big and he had to start lying instead of dissembling.

Maybe when Wiggins wins the Tour he'll realise he'll have to adopt the same in your face approach and lie his **** off.

Unless the journos give him an easy ride. Wonder who paid for their trips to Tenerife?

Of course I could be wrong. But when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck about doping, I'm fairly happy to draw my own conclusions, having seen it all before.

Based on the evidence we have, Wiggins doping cannot be dismissed out of hand.
 
Oct 30, 2011
2,642
0
0
2008885 said:
I am aware of the meaning of the shower reference - you should discard the notion that only Clinic regulars know anything about sports and doping.

So in 15 minutes you can drink enough water to dilute dope in your urine down to current testing limits?? I'd like to see you try.
Stop getting your knickers in a twist. I explained the shower reference because you made a post that I thought meant you hadn't understood it, certainly I wouldn't have done before I read The Clinic.

Well, 15 minutes and a however long it takes you to go again. It might not be enough, it's certainly better than nothing. Possibly you could even set up your gear for giving fake urine - it's been done before. A condom full of clean urine under the armpit with a pipe leading out past the athlete's you-know-what.

In a rather curious harmony with Sky's motto, I'd say that the extra 5-10 minutes one might get is about marginal gains. Certainly you are not going to go from Bjarne Riis to clean in 10 minutes, but it could make all the difference if you're micro-dosing.
 
Apr 19, 2010
1,845
0
0
Benotti69 said:
Wiggins words old boy; "We have altitude, heat and virtually empty roads most days."

"....virtually empty roads most days"

'Wiggins and Sky set up camp in a remote hotel'.

"....There are no distractions....." obviously full of tourists then for the no distractions hey?

No Wiggins is not following in the footsteps of others. He is doing it differently, marginal gains ;)
Have you ever been to Tenerife?
 
Tyler'sTwin said:
He said that drinking 1 (2?) litre of water after micro-dosing EPO, before going to bed, could make the difference between testing positive and testing clean the next morning. Doesn't mean you can "drink loads of water to dilute whatever is in your system" in just "5-10 minutes".
I reckon a saline drip would help.
 
Jul 13, 2010
178
0
0
Caruut said:
Stop getting your knickers in a twist.
Excuse me, this is a public forum viewed by several. If you mention my underwear again, I may well ask you to step into the car park so that we can "address the issue".
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY