• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why are UK riders now more successful?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Digger said:

That tells you everything you need to know about Wigans and his phony stance against doping.

He would have us believe that Vaughters, Vande Velde, Danielson, or Zabriskie never mentioned the doping program at Postal? Wigans never heard any inside information from ex-teammates about what Armstrong did? He never asked? That is not believable. Wigans is a liar.

thingswelike said:
Wiggins has said in the past that the more he focusses on who and who isn't doping in the peloton, the worse his mental attitude becomes.

That's one of the reasons (imo) that he's so pleased with winning races - he knows that it's possible clean and that as long as he's focusses on getting his mental state right and he's in the right condition, he can win.

That's a big difference to how he was feeling in that Cofidis interview posted earlier, where he was just hopeful for some point in the future (maybe just thinking that Geraint would be the one to benefit).

My gut says the whole of BC is clean, including Wiggo. Imagine how it must feel to know you were going against the grain for so long and now it's paying off!
Davide Rebellin called his Olympic silver medal "a victory for clean cycling". Just saying.

The home Olympics will be a huge motivating factor, no doubt.

But the same could be said of the Barcelona Olympics in 1992. And just as the improvement in Spanish sportspeople leading up to that was marked and has therefore come up against a lot of scrutiny, so should the obvious and marked improvements in British sportspeople leading up to their Olympics.

It could be totally innocent, after all BC have excellent funding, Team Sky have not got a super large budget, but they do have the resources available to increase it if needed, but sudden marked improvements, especially within a sport where doping has been so entrenched, will never just be accepted by all without any kind of caveat.

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
I think Brad's dissembling, his language smacks of politico speak and legalese, skirting around any statement that he could be nailed to.

All he has to do is say "I ride clean". End of story. Shouldn't be difficult for someone who does ride clean and is proud of the fact. For some reason he can't bring himself to say this.

I wish someone in the media would call him out. Feels like nothing's changed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't remember seeing any such plain statements from Brad since his "mutation".

He's plumbed a new low with his "spineless ****ers" comment.

andy1234 said:
If no rider can ever be considered clean, Im not sure why some posters follow professional cycling

If every winner is doper, why follow the results?
Surely they are all irrelevant?

Millions of people watch professional wrestling. While I am sure there are some ten year olds with low IQs, a few people in Texas, and, going by the gullible posters here, a lot of mugs in the UK who think it is real, people still watch it despite knowing that it is phony.

Why don't you worry about your own gullibility rather than why other people choose to follow a sport filled to the brim with dopers, liars, and cheats?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
There's only one thing worse than journalists who were failed sportsmen who constantly criticise others and can ever give anyone credit and think they know it all.

And that's armchair pundits who constantly have to find a way to criticise everyone.

stefrees said:
There's only one thing worse than journalists who were failed sportsmen who constantly criticise others and can ever give anyone credit and think they know it all.

And that's armchair pundits who constantly have to find a way to criticise everyone.

And then there's the koolaid fans who are too in love to even contemplate facing the truth.

stefrees said:

Admission that you have a problem is the first step. Congrats for accurately placing yourself on the "worse scale."

BroDeal said:
Millions of people watch professional wrestling. While I am sure there are some ten year olds with low IQs, a few people in Texas, and, going by the gullible posters here, a lot of mugs in the UK who think it is real, people still watch it despite knowing that it is phony.

Why don't you worry about your own gullibility rather than why other people choose to follow a sport filled to the brim with dopers, liars, and cheats?

People who KNOW wrestlling is phony, watch every match, then b1tch about how phony it is, are the ones with low IQs

Clever people like you would never get caught in that trap.

andy1234 said:
People who KNOW wrestlling is phony, watch every match, then b1tch about how phony it is, are the ones with low IQs

Clever people like you would never get caught in that trap.

Sort of like low brows who watch pro wrestling then go into a pub with a large sign hanging over the door that says, "The Phony Wrestling Discussion Pub." They amble over to the bar, notice that everyone is talking about how fake wrestling is, then throw a hissy fit over their delusions being shattered. They try putting their hands over their ears, muttering to themselves to drown out the truth, but when that does work, they then castigate the people at the bar for watching wrestling, as though the truth will change if there is no one left to point it out.

I am sure you would never prove to be that stupid.

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
stefrees said:

Pro cycling isn't a bastion of ethical behaviour and scrupulous honesty, hence the questioning. Funnily enough the sceptics were right to question in the past, so why not now?

You're wrong to impute the motivation you have stated to the posters here. It's well wide of the mark.

I would put a rider who falsely represents as anti-doping much worse than an armchair pundit who you have, wilfully or otherwise, misunderstood.

By the way, thanks for the nuanced insight.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
spalco said:
I don't think the wrestling analogy is correct even if every single pro cyclist was doped up from head to toes since the racing is still real and not choreographed.

that's why Vino bought an LBL ;)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
stefrees said:

What a pathetic statement.

To make it to the professional ranks is a successful achievement. To race for more than 1 year is another level of success. Few reach the mountain top in sport, especially without a lot dope, which seeing as you are posting in the Clinic you should know this.

How many people start out on a road hoping to achieve huge success but come to a realisation that all is not what it seems?

In terms of professional sports to criticise someone for stopping to compete due to the fact that most to the others are doping to achieve their place in the sport does not equate with failure!

Go tell your offspring that they are failures because they didn't cheat their way to success.

And since most in here post anonymously how do you know thier achievements.

It is believed that a 7 time TdF winner posts in here. No doubt he has been banned plenty ;)

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
if you can't beat them join them

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...put-him-in-contention-for-Tour-de-France.html

Seems Fuentes Territory is perfect for Wiggins :rolleyes: just like Vino

Wow, this interview quotes Wiggo as claiming to have done "32,000 metres of climbing around Teide during a two-week camp last month and, by the time we finish this latest fortnight, I will have done another 32,000 metres". That's more than 2 kilometres of climbing per day!! No wonder he can ride clean!

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Splintered said:
Wow, this interview quotes Wiggo as claiming to have done "32,000 metres of climbing around Teide during a two-week camp last month and, by the time we finish this latest fortnight, I will have done another 32,000 metres". That's more than 2 kilometres of climbing per day!! No wonder he can ride clean!

OK now I get it. 32,000 m of altitude difference - a vertical measurement rather than distance on the road. I was a little quick to assume cynically that the Torygraph journalist still hasn't worked out the difference between km and m. And actually, even substituting km for m in there wouldn't be plausible as a measure on the road.

I'll get my coat....