• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why are UK riders now more successful?

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Zam_Olyas said:
I think it is better than God Save The Queen.

No arguments from me there.

Zam_Olyas said:
Why do you want to debate about Sky/UK riders doping?... Because to you they are clean and will never dope.

Because to me, everything they do is explainable. Yet another thread with the usual suspects screaming that they're obviously doping, without any evidence (other than the fact they're successful).

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
doolols said:

Because to me, everything they do is explainable. Yet another thread with the usual suspects screaming that they're obviously doping, without any evidence (other than the fact they're successful).

Oh yes and would you like to explain the explainable.... I tell you what don't both you will start sound off BS like Dave Brailsford. And this is relaxation time for me now.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
doolols said:

Why do you bother then? go read Walsh twitter feed or something instead

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
300px-Fish_and_chips.jpg

A healthy diet and the fresh sea breeze will do the trick.

Oof, looks effing superb

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
I think it is better than God Save The Queen. Why do you want to debate about Sky/UK riders doping?... Because to you they are clean and will never dope.

Jerusalem is the unofficial English anthem,like Flower of Scotland and Men of Harlech, and much much better than God Save the Queen.

Get an Englishman, Scotsman and Welshman together, give them a few drinks, get them to sing those songs and then sit back and watch the fight. Then chuck in an Irishman singing O Danny Boy and you'll have a full set

JimmyFingers said:
Jerusalem is the unofficial English anthem,like Flower of Scotland and Men of Harlech, and much much better than God Save the Queen.

Get an Englishman, Scotsman and Welshman together, give them a few drinks, get them to sing those songs and then sit back and watch the fight. Then chuck in an Irishman singing O Danny Boy and you'll have a full set

I like Myfanwy much better than Men of Harlech and flowers of Scotland sung by Amy Macdonald is great.

JimmyFingers said:

A week Saturday, Suncorp, Brisbane, Molly Malone not Danny Boy, lots of beers, there will be no fighting. Just the Lions coming out with the win.

12 years ago at the Gabba was the best atmosphere I've ever been in, not a hint of trouble.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
wansteadimp said:
A week Saturday, Suncorp, Brisbane, Molly Malone not Danny Boy, lots of beers, there will be no fighting. Just the Lions coming out with the win.

12 years ago at the Gabba was the best atmosphere I've ever been in, not a hint of trouble.

I was there as well. Still the best sporting atmosphere ive ever experienced. Englishmen singing flower of Scotland, Irish singing bread of heaven. Really special night

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
William Blake wrote Jerusalem. It was meant as a prophetic warning against Empire (the British one). So no wonder it is only the official Anthem of England, as this was not it's intended use (by the author). Nationalism might also have been WB prophesy.

JimmyFingers said:

Not sure Jerusalem is the unofficial English anthem? Its the anthem of the cricket team but how many people know the words? I thought that Land of Hope and Glory was the unofficial anthem? Thats the anthem of the English Commonwealth Games team. Unfortunately it seems to be the anthem of the Conservative Party, and again, how many people know that many of the words? (going O/T but more words than John Redwood did when he was secretary of state for Wales http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwBvjoLyZc )

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Frosty said:
Not sure Jerusalem is the unofficial English anthem? Its the anthem of the cricket team but how many people know the words? I thought that Land of Hope and Glory was the unofficial anthem? Thats the anthem of the English Commonwealth Games team. Unfortunately it seems to be the anthem of the Conservative Party, and again, how many people know that many of the words? (going O/T but more words than John Redwood did when he was secretary of state for Wales http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwBvjoLyZc )

Land of Hope and Glory arguably refers to Britain rather than England, and Jerusalem has replaced it as the victory song for the English team at the commonwealth games. And I know the words, and so do most people I know. The second verse is a belter

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
AcademyCC said:
I was there as well. Still the best sporting atmosphere ive ever experienced. Englishmen singing flower of Scotland, Irish singing bread of heaven. Really special night

Gotta say Flower of Scotland gives me a chill, lived with two Scottish lads at Uni and between the arguing got indoctrinated by that song:

Flower o' Scotland/when will we see/your likes again
that fought and died for/their wee bit o hill and glen
And stood against him (who?)
King Edwards army (w@ankers!)
and sent them homewards
tae think again

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
horsinabout said:
William Blake wrote Jerusalem. It was meant as a prophetic warning against Empire (the British one). So no wonder it is only the official Anthem of England, as this was not it's intended use (by the author). Nationalism might also have been WB prophesy.

God you talk absolute guff. It is nothing of the sort, it's about an imagined visit of Jesus to England, and the creation of a heaven on earth, the new Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land. He makes reference to 'dark stanaic mills' which is interpreted as a warning against industrialisation, but that's about it. Your version is nonsense.

JimmyFingers said:
Land of Hope and Glory arguably refers to Britain rather than England, and Jerusalem has replaced it as the victory song for the English team at the commonwealth games. And I know the words, and so do most people I know. The second verse is a belter

You're right, it did take over in 2010 :)

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
God you talk absolute guff. It is nothing of the sort, it's about an imagined visit of Jesus to England, and the creation of a heaven on earth, the new Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land. He makes reference to 'dark stanaic mills' which is interpreted as a warning against industrialisation, but that's about it. Your version is nonsense.

I don't think that either interpretation is Professor in Oxford English literature accurate. But William Blake was an anti establishment artist and didn't like institutionalised Christianity, but he was spiritual. The poem is from a prophetic book called "Milton", so needs to seen in that context. My point was, although the poem might have idealism at it's core, I am not convinced it was meant as a national anthem by the poet. As he was against the powers that be and industrialisation etc and all the other evils of institutions, including perhaps empire and war by extension.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Well it was written as a poem not a song so I'm guessing he wasn't intending it as an anthem. The words of the poem speak for themselves, there is no hidden meaning there unless you have an agenda and desire to see them there. The only negative reference in the peom is 'Dark Satanic Mills', not sure you can spin that into some anti-establishment, anti-Empire theme at all.

Nice try though

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Plus the love he has for the land over everything absolutely shines through, whatever his politics. He's talking about England being visited by Jesus, and the holy city of Jerusalem being built there, and that heaven on earth being defended above all things.

Seriously don't even bother.

TRENDING THREADS