• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why Bother with Punishing the Cheaters in Cycling: The Cushing Case

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
it's their constitutional right to bear arms and dope

american professional sportsmen have very little to lose by using PEDs. the punishments are minute, the benefits are huge.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah their writers are schizophrenic. They even still mention to vote Mark McGwire to the HoF. No wonder that most of the Lance-Trolls come from your country.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Even tough it´s hurting, but i prefer a press who over reacts (like in the Ullrich case) instead of turning a blind eye on issues like the ones i mentioned.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Ouote Rolf Järmann: "If there´s no doping tests, you´ll have deaths". Enough said.

You can't really die from steroids to be honest, but it could f**k with your long term hormone levels and your fertility.

That's what HCG is supposed to help prevent.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
at least cyclists aren't criminals

Doping is a small problem with the image of many American sports compared to the criminal behavior of many of the players. Rothlesberger, and LT are just the two latest examples

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Eyjafjallajokull said:
You can't really die from steroids to be honest, but it could f**k with your long term hormone levels and your fertility.

That's what HCG is supposed to help prevent.

You got me wrong. It was about if doping should be allowed, or worse required :)

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
You never know if some hooker want to milk out money of athlets (see Roethlisberger, Bryant), but the LT-Case is indeed serious...

I don't think that's the case with Roethlisberger.

and then there's players bringing guns to night clubs and shooting themselves, or into the locker room, or beating up fans.

Sadly the examples of criminal behavior by American athletes are many.

I like football, but can no longer support a sport that has so much criminal behavior among it's players.

guess I'll have to start watching lacrosse :rolleyes:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
biokemguy said:
I don't think that's the case with Roethlisberger.

and then there's players bringing guns to night clubs and shooting themselves, or into the locker room, or beating up fans.

Sadly the examples of criminal behavior by American athletes are many.

I like football, but can no longer support a sport that has so much criminal behavior among it's players.

guess I'll have to start watching lacrosse :rolleyes:

It´s not as bad as it seems, only the bad guys get the news. Anyway if you try something clean: how ´bout deep sea fishing by woman. Isn´t fishing popular in the US ?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Do you guys believe this?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/05/12/cushing.ap/index.html

There are no morals in America anymore. The media does not even care. So why are we being too tough with our cyclists?

I am a little pi$$ed off at the outcome of this affair.

Please comment and rant all you want.

Unbelievable justification for voting the same twice:"If I had known in January when we initially voted that Brian Cushing had tested positive for a banned substance, I might not have voted for him," said Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and president of the Pro Football Writers of America. "However, Cushing won the award in January, and I don't feel like we should revise history. I am concerned about the precedent."

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
It´s not as bad as it seems, only the bad guys get the news. Anyway if you try something clean: how ´bout deep sea fishing by woman. Isn´t fishing popular in the US ?

Almost as popular as cycling...;)

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
The outrage in this thread is hilarious.

Humans are greedy, selfish, insecure, animals that can suspend the strongest of morals, ethic, common sense, and preservation to achieve and/or acquire. The human animal has most commonly an insuppressible nature of one's self at its base level.

Athletes are human, it is their nature.

That any of you are the least bit surprised, outraged, hurt, wounded, or struggling with this is quite another level of comedy.

In other words, grow up, get over it and find something useful to care about, the lot of you. Reserve your tortured, judgmental, misguided ego-stylings for something that deserves it.

Appreciate the racing cyclist or American footballer for what they are: Entertainment. Much the same as the musicians that fill your iPod's or the CD's in your autos. Not surprisingly, ALL of them were on drugs too! "Cast out your dirty, devil music!" they used to say.

Hey, hey, my, my
Rock-n-roll will never die...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
Appreciate the racing cyclist or American footballer for what they are: Entertainment.

All right, but not the above listed. For all of us who did or still do sports, it´s not entertainment but competition. Even the pros started it as competition. Only the greedy old fat men with big glasses who as kids sat in the 1st row of math classes take it as business/entertainment and spoiled it. I assume even Epo-Lance started sports because of fun and competition.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
All right, but not the above listed. For all of us who did or still do sports, it´s not entertainment but competition. Even the pros started it as competition. Only the greedy old fat men with big glasses who as kids sat in the 1st row of math classes take it as business/entertainment and spoiled it. I assume even Epo-Lance started sports because of fun and competition.

Ok, seriously?

If you cannot comprehend how fuktarded your position is, you are beyond help.

If you want to focus on "competition" go coach some children and teach them some lessons about fair-play, sportsmanship and the value of winning and losing. Teach some kids how to deal with loss, how to use teamwork to attain a goal, how to apply themselves for something more than their own gain.

Then, come back and tell us all how great the experience was. I will respect you for your effort. What I won't do is engage with you about how Pro Sports is SO much different than commercialized (read: capitalism, read: competitive) music, theater, films, art or anything else driven by the $.

BTW, what is your favorite band? Who is on YOUR iPod?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
The outrage in this thread is hilarious.

Humans are greedy, selfish, insecure, animals that can suspend the strongest of morals, ethic, common sense, and preservation to achieve and/or acquire. The human animal has most commonly an insuppressible nature of one's self at its base level.

Athletes are human, it is their nature.

That any of you are the least bit surprised, outraged, hurt, wounded, or struggling with this is quite another level of comedy.

In other words, grow up, get over it and find something useful to care about, the lot of you. Reserve your tortured, judgmental, misguided ego-stylings for something that deserves it.

Appreciate the racing cyclist or American footballer for what they are: Entertainment. Much the same as the musicians that fill your iPod's or the CD's in your autos. Not surprisingly, ALL of them were on drugs too! "Cast out your dirty, devil music!" they used to say.

Hey, hey, my, my
Rock-n-roll will never die...

The journalists who make their living "outing" the dopers for a quick story are the ones giving the free pass. That's amazing...even for a jaded cyclist.

TRENDING THREADS