• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why it DOES matter that Lance goes down.

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
That's it you have had your chances, this thread is closed untill I have cleaned it up and if another thread is derailed and contains such types of posts from now on, you will not get such leniency

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
This thread is open again, I took out most if not all that was off-topic or that was something that attacked other members or some such thing, perhaps I took out too much, that is not my concern. You yourselves are responsible for that. Now you have one more chance, and truly this is your last chance

Jagers said:

What is cool is that if you read the comments to that article you can see that the vast majority of the CBS forum people are not buying Doyel's argument.

PS Doyel is an editorialist who is basically paid to stir the pot; he always writes columns that are "controversial" just to drive traffic to that site. He's a terrible writer too but his strong opinions are very amusing from time to time so I give him credit for that.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
You mean that EPO doper and Ferraricustomer without talent who wanted to save his own skin and attacked Lance and his environment FIRST ? :rolleyes:

As I said it many times. Know the whole story and history. Most times Lance just defended, which resulted in attacks.

Yes, that's what I mean, the whole 'witness intimidation in a whistleblower case' thingie. Surely a history buff would remember.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Yes, that's what I mean, the whole 'witness intimidation in a whistleblower case' thingie. Surely a history buff would remember.

I know, I know.
The justicelovers would offer the other cheek to slap if they were attacked or just break together in tears and admit.
I know....:rolleyes:

Much Ado About Nothing

Dr. Maserati said:
Well Mark - you appear to be the only one struggling with what I meant, here is my opening post:

To answer your question:
Justice - he should bare the consequences of his actions.

For doping, he should be sanctioned and results taken away, as happens with other riders.
If proven to have purchased, trafficked and distributed PEDs I am happy to let the FDA pursue that.
To all those he bullied he should apologies - because they were right and he was wrong.
He should allow the LAF accounts to be fully opened to the public and explain the $4 million advertising & $2 million travel that makes up part of the 'programmes'.

That's a mighty big wish list. Two of your four items would appear to involve a transformational change of Lance's personality. I doubt we'll ever see a truly contrite and open Lance. Another is vague; it doesn't really count as "going down". The only thing left is sanctions from the UCI.

Lance will soon be gone from cycling. His results are fast becoming trivial history. YOU obviously don't think too much of the UCI, so why does any sanction from them matter? Any sanction would be toothless anyway.

Enough of the lance-obsession! If he does go down, you can throw the most spectacular party that the world has ever seen! Until then, deny the man what he craves most--attention!

MarkvW said:
Enough of the lance-obsession! If he does go down, you can throw the most spectacular party that the world has ever seen! Until then, deny the man what he craves most--attention!

I very much agree with you there, but remember we just got another big article on his transgressions and there was indeed some new and important stuff in it. Things are dieing back down already and will hopefully remain quiet on the Armstrong front untill the FDA investigation is concluded.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
NashbarShorts said:
.....in order to do that, he'd have to be a real SOCIOPATH".

I just smiled. "Well Dad, some people think he is." :)

The acorn does not fall far from the tree lol.

Jagers said:

andy1234 said:
That is is one "journalist" who isnt sitting on the fence.
I think plenty of the general public will buy into this.

+1

Nice to read an article by a PRO journalist that is worth more than ALL the chairs found in a crowded hotel press conference...

Polish said:
The acorn does not fall far from the tree lol.

+1

Nice to read an article by a PRO journalist that is worth more than ALL the chairs found in a crowded hotel press conference...

Its a terrible piece. But Joe Public will be nodding their heads in agreement as we speak.

andy1234 said:
But Joe Public will be nodding their heads in agreement as we speak.

Except that they're not. As you can see if you'd read the comments to the article.

But instead you're apparently happy to make stuff up. I hope your self-affirming narrative makes you happy, too too bad that it's at odds with reality.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
That's a mighty big wish list. Two of your four items would appear to involve a transformational change of Lance's personality. I doubt we'll ever see a truly contrite and open Lance. Another is vague; it doesn't really count as "going down". The only thing left is sanctions from the UCI.

Lance will soon be gone from cycling. His results are fast becoming trivial history. YOU obviously don't think too much of the UCI, so why does any sanction from them matter? Any sanction would be toothless anyway.

The UCI (ie top level)is a joke - I have never been subtle or shy in saying that and I have been consistent in seeing all dopers being caught and sanctioned.

But, the UCI so not sanction riders, they merely accept or appeal sanctions handed down by the licencing authority of the rider.

A sanction would not be toothless - results can be altered up to 8 years and as USADA were notified last year they could go back to 2002.

Lance certainly craves attention - but it has to be positive attention - check his comments from the TdU during the week - he gets angry if it is the bad attention that he gets. He might want to get used to that.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
some of the answers to the thread have been that Lance has white trash association, that he has thin lips, he has sole/soul control on the press and the general public and he is commanding their minds to think positive thoughts about him,his eyes are close together, he is secretly in control of the UCI, and that there is an army of men of a certain age and color that rally around all things Lance.. all of them are super awesome answers to why Lance should go down. His cancer surgery and tour wins were done with special effects on a sound stage in Holly Wood and all done so that he could get a foundation going because he loves air travel and just couldn't figure out a way to pay for it. Oh yea and he took secret dope in mobile hospitals while driving in the alps and he got the stuff from a company that kept it on the market just long enough for him to get enough for 8 years..plus the 2 years off and then 2 years back on the bike. He is only really going to retire this time because his HemmaHelper supply has run dry. He is probably going to go to a warm climate or do jumping jacks and the other ball will drop and we will have all been fooled..man this guy is smart for a Texas dropout raised by a single mom

fatandfast said:
some of the answers to the thread have been that Lance has white trash association, that he has thin lips, he has sole/soul control on the press and the general public and he is commanding their minds to think positive thoughts about him,his eyes are close together, he is secretly in control of the UCI, and that there is an army of men of a certain age and color that rally around all things Lance.. all of them are super awesome answers to why Lance should go down. His cancer surgery and tour wins were done with special effects on a sound stage in Holly Wood and all done so that he could get a foundation going because he loves air travel and just couldn't figure out a way to pay for it. Oh yea and he took secret dope in mobile hospitals while driving in the alps and he got the stuff from a company that kept it on the market just long enough for him to get enough for 8 years..plus the 2 years off and then 2 years back on the bike. He is only really going to retire this time because his HemmaHelper supply has run dry. He is probably going to go to a warm climate or do jumping jacks and the other ball will drop and we will have all been fooled..man this guy is smart for a Texas dropout raised by a single mom

I do not agree with you

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
fatandfast said:

I have not seen anyone call Lance Whisky Tango and am not sure it would matter.

It is very simple for me. The difference between him and the rest of the contenders is that he enjoyed the benefit of "He would never dope. He had cancer and PED's could kill him". That is what makes it different for me. The entire above it all attitude towards PED’s.

I also have the opinion that a majority of the "haters" are just ****ed that Lance Armstrong the jerk had the sneaky stuff that no one else in the contenders group could get for 7 straight years. Do not kid yourself.....if Lance had won the tour only 3 or 4 times and then lost he would be treated a bit different on cycling sites.

BikeCentric said:
Except that they're not. As you can see if you'd read the comments to the article.

But instead you're apparently happy to make stuff up. I hope your self-affirming narrative makes you happy, too too bad that it's at odds with reality.

I couldn't care less either way.
Keep rambling on about self confirming narratives and alternative realities though, it sounds impressive.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
I have not seen anyone call Lance Whisky Tango and am not sure it would matter.

It is very simple for me. The difference between him and the rest of the contenders is that he enjoyed the benefit of "He would never dope. He had cancer and PED's could kill him". That is what makes it different for me. The entire above it all attitude towards PED’s.

I also have the opinion that a majority of the "haters" are just ****ed that Lance Armstrong the jerk had the sneaky stuff that no one else in the contenders group could get for 7 straight years. Do not kid yourself.....if Lance had won the tour only 3 or 4 times and then lost he would be treated a bit different on cycling sites.

i dont think the clinic would treat him with any less condemnation. You just have to read the Contador threads to see that. He has won 3 and now caught for Clen and he is not getting off lightly in here for it either.

what Armstrong gets hammered on big time and so would anyone who behaves like him, is the bullying, the lying, the sociopathic attitude to all and sundry who dare to not see him as the greatest living cyclist ever. that's what gets up most people's noses i imagine.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
i dont think the clinic would treat him with any less condemnation. You just have to read the Contador threads to see that. He has won 3 and now caught for Clen and he is not getting off lightly in here for it either.

what Armstrong gets hammered on big time and so would anyone who behaves like him, is the bullying, the lying, the sociopathic attitude to all and sundry who dare to not see him as the greatest living cyclist ever. that's what gets up most people's noses i imagine.

I understand your point and----- your example of Contador is also on point.

I just think the amount of hate would be less if he had won the tour less times.

Your points bolded above are the largest reasons he is disliked more,,,,,, I do agree with that.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
I understand your point and----- your example of Contador is also on point.

I just think the amount of hate would be less if he had won the tour less times.

Your points bolded above are the largest reasons he is disliked more,,,,,, I do agree with that.

there may be some dislike to the greed of him winning 7 knowing that he was cheating to do so. i think a lot would have been less vitriolic if he had stopped at 5 and paid homage to the greats of yesteryear, but his greed rubber stamped the cheating and that makes him more unlikable.

you are forgetting that his behaviour to it all has made him so unpopular. look at Contador, not a word. no tweets, no pr stunts, silence while he desperately tries to find a way out. he wont but at least he is keeping his mouth shut and his head down.

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Apart from the fact that both situations are different. Contador so far has blamed the test results on beef and has appeared on Spanish TV getting misty eyed. Both PR stunts.

Spread the Word!

Sanitiser said:
When you see advertisements like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph6Gd2Cg4gc the wider public needs to realize that not only has Lance exploited cycling but cancer sufferers and their families as well to make himself and Nike a buck.

That makes him worse than any other doper.

Can I get an Amen? Amen!

Now go spread The Word. Be prepared for zealots and varied cult members to vigorously deny this plain fact.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Sanitiser said:
Apart from the fact that both situations are different. Contador so far has blamed the test results on beef and has appeared on Spanish TV getting misty eyed. Both PR stunts.

hardly a pr stunt blaming the beef. he had to give a reason. a pr stunt would have been to find the farm and a load of animals doped with Clen.

he gave an excuse and as the questions mounted so did the answers which became ever more implausible.

if it had been a steroid he would've done what LA did and produced a back dated TUE, but it turned out to be Clen and that left them in a real tight corner.

spanish tv were always gonna get misty eyed no different than versus

no Contador is not near the lower levels of Pharmastrong.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Sanitiser said:
When you see advertisements like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph6Gd2Cg4gc the wider public needs to realize that not only has Lance exploited cycling but cancer sufferers and their families as well to make himself and Nike a buck.

That makes him worse than any other doper.

I never saw that commercial before now. Wow, that he'd actually make a Nike commercial on their dime that summarizes his feeble defense. Nike's execs start to come off worse than Lance, in my mind. They know what's going on and I hope the marketplace rewards them accordingly. Not likely, though.

TRENDING THREADS