• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins, Clinic respect?

Page 65 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Let me link to that for you : )
_102270946_freemanletter.jpg

Re:

42x16ss said:
Was it ever reported to police? Considering the laptop contained the “only” copy of rider’s personal medical data you would hope so :eek:

Says it was reported to the Police in Santorini - anyone speak Greek and want to check? Strange it just says Greek Hotel and does not name it.

Note that this is a form filled out when? and also only to British Cycling? So it's like he sent it to himself ...dodgy.

(Edit - also the latest cure for "suicidal thoughts" (especially nightmares of being thrown under a bus) seems to be get a book deal and write a book - give that man a Nobel Prize!)

You are aware Freeman had to request this BC record from UKAD in order to show it to the BBC?
Probably worth reading the transcript because the video has many edits so missing a lot of other details.

The theft of your laptop in 2014 has been portrayed by some as a 'dog ate my homework' excuse. Is that fair? Was there really a laptop stolen in Greece in 2014?

"Yes. A very violent robbery. A patio window smashed, the safe stolen, three days at a local police station in Santorini getting a police report for myself and my travelling companion. We had no passports, we were then transferred to another island - to Crete - we had consular assistance there to get back, we had a police report that was given to BC, I notified it to the IT department. I had a report from the IT department that the laptop was reported missing."

So the loss of data report form you have given us backs that up? If so, why has it taken so much time for us to receive that evidence?

"I received that information in a package of documents I was given from Ukad."

First, are we still believing that Freeman/BC had no records but those on a laptop?

All of this dramatic breaking and entering and "stealing a safe" (?) then having to file a FOI request to get back his own papers ... ehh? Was the Greek Police report in with the FOI request?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/44654688
British Cycling issued a statement to BBC sport, saying: "We are disappointed that Dr Richard Freeman has chosen to publish this book having refused to fully participate in our investigation into record keeping and medicines management...we hope publication confirms Dr Freeman's return to good health and therefore his willingness to now partake in the resolution of outstanding inquiries."

Dr Freeman denied that he refused to co-operate or comply with the relevant authorities and said he didn't want his book launch to be "overshadowed" by what he sees as "BC attempts to discredit me into submission and silence."

Heavens forbid that the good docs book launch should tainted! Geez.

I'm pretty sure Sapstead told DCMS she hadn't personally seen it, but her colleagues working on the case had the police report Freeman is referring to. Sounds like the hotel safe was broken into as his passports were stolen and he had to go to Crete where British Consulate is in order to get home without a passport. There would be no need for Freeman to embellish a story of a stolen laptop with stuff like police reports and British consulate when that and can be so easily confirmed by UKAD in my opinion.
I believe the book will probably confirm a lot more than can be done in a 10 minute TV interview.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
samhocking said:
I'm pretty sure Sapstead told DCMS she hadn't personally seen it, but her colleagues working on the case had the police report Freeman is referring to. Sounds like the hotel safe was broken into as his passports were stolen and he had to go to Crete where British Consulate is in order to get home without a passport. There would be no need for Freeman to embellish a story of a stolen laptop with stuff like police reports and British consulate when that and can be so easily confirmed by UKAD in my opinion.
I believe the book will probably confirm a lot more than can be done in a 10 minute TV interview.

Goodwork Sam, still trying to perpuate the myth.

What a joke that people believe this :lol:

This Dr admitted doping his students for exams FFS!!!!!!!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

samhocking said:
Well falsifying police crime reports carries way more penalty than doping students or cyclists, so him and Sapstead obviously think it's worth it.

Have you seen Greek police crime report.

Greek police squeaky clean.....

The idea that there are no copies of Freemans work on a hard drive or a cloud is laughable.

But once it comes from the authorities some people are satisfied with that because the authorities never lie or cheat or commit crimes. They are the good guys. Comic book stuff!!!! :lol:

Now that he's out of hiding to talk on that Discosport spodcast, this is natch a good time to publicly announce Vol 94 of the Wiggins autobiographies, which he said months ago he was too busy working on to comment on the DCMS report. After My Time, My Story, and My Hour, this one is called ... Icons: My Inspiration. My Motivation. My Obsession. Landing in November, just in time for Chrimbo stockings.
“Icons is essentially a love letter to the sport of cycling, and to the men who wrote its history. Tracking down and curating their bikes and jerseys has been a genuine labour of love, and it’s helped me to contextualise my own place in the sport’s journey. I’m delighted to be able to share my collection, and most of all to tell these incredible stories.”
Deets

Re:

samhocking said:
Should be good. He's got one pretty iconic bike collection now and an incredible memory on the equipment and riders side. Should be worth missing a DCMS for. What would he have said anyway - Fluimicil and gone back to Lancs on the next train anyway lol!

Wiggins can talk Lance again :cool:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jul/25/tour-de-france-2010-lance-armstrong

"I love him," Wiggins said. "I think he's great. He's transformed the sport in so many ways. Every person in cycling has benefitted from Lance Armstrong, perhaps not financially but in some sense. Even his strongest critics have benefitted from him. I don't think this sport will ever realise what he's brought it or how big he's made it.:eek:

Re: Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
samhocking said:
He wasn't wrong. Cycling's still standing on Lance's shoulders in many ways.
which ways is that Sam.
Cheating?
Doping?
Bribing?

yeah nice shoulders for giants like CF to stand on
;)

If you didn't witness the transition in the cycling industry, booming globally, entirely down to Armstrong in 90's and 00's, you're nutts. Zipp, Trek/Bontrager e.g. pretty much exist because of Armstrong. Tour de France switched from a parochial novelty in World sport, to an equal footing because of Armstrong. The fact he is still the only rider to fully transcend the sport globally, proves his doping was a sideshow. If Armstrong turned up to race Le Tour today, it would be the biggest story in World Sport, if he even turned up to spectate it would be a bigger discussion globally than that of the winner 1000 fold. As Bobet says, "there's no difference between Anqueteil & Armstrong" in terms of doping and cheating and skulduggery they were the same.

samhocking said:
TourOfSardinia said:
samhocking said:
which ways is that Sam.
Cheating?
Doping?
Bribing?

;)

If you didn't witness the transition in the cycling industry, booming globally, entirely down to Armstrong in 90's and 00's, you're nutts. Zipp, Trek/Bontrager e.g. pretty much exist because of Armstrong. Tour de France switched from a parochial novelty in World sport, to an equal footing because of Armstrong. The fact he is still the only rider to fully transcend the sport globally, proves his doping was a sideshow. If Armstrong turned up to race Le Tour today, it would be the biggest story in World Sport, if he even turned up to spectate it would be a bigger discussion globally than that of the winner 1000 fold. As Bobet says, "there's no difference between Anqueteil & Armstrong" in terms of doping and cheating and skulduggery they were the same.

I agree with this to a large extent. Similar to what Tiger Woods done for golf, Armstrong was mainstream and transcended the sport of cycling. He was an a**hole but you can't deny that he had charisma and an aura around him. The rest of the peloton benefitted financially and knew exactly what was going on. Wiggins was only but one of these and at the crossroads in his road racing career he decided he would have to play the game in order to compete.

samhocking said:
TourOfSardinia said:
samhocking said:
which ways is that Sam.
Cheating?
Doping?
Bribing?

;)

Dumbest thing I've yet seen from Sam.

It's funny how, like a couple of others round here, he just makes up facts and history and blusters past any questions about his lies.

The Lance Effect was huge for cycling industry. US Road bike Industry pretty much owes all of its growth duing 2000's to Armstrong. Trek, Specialized, Zipp they all said so at the time. Plenty of stats out there fmk. I was working in bike industry 88 to 2006 and it was palpable when Armstrong came along. He did for the Bicycle Industry what Pantani did for Mercatone Uno.

Re:

samhocking said:
The Lance Effect was huge for cycling industry. US Road bike Industry pretty much owes all of its growth duing 2000's to Armstrong. Trek, Specialized, Zipp they all said so at the time. Plenty of stats out there fmk. I was working in bike industry 88 to 2006 and it was palpable when Armstrong came along. He did for the Bicycle Industry what Pantani did for Mercatone Uno.

Armstrong mostly used Mavic wheels then Bontrager. Zipp, no.

Re:

samhocking said:
I'm talking about the bike industry. Those are simply the 3 main road manufactures in US who boomed due to Lance Effect. They all attribute their growth to that effect.

Then you would be more likely to have said Bontrager. Zipp was around in Lemonds final years and big on the triathlete scene well before “the Lance effect”.