• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins, Clinic respect?

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
the sceptic said:
Top+climbs+list.gif

I would like to know how a clean Wiggins could be only 1 minute behind on Verbier.

Everyone was fast that day, not an accurate guide.

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Came pretty close the year before, though didn't he, with JV staking his worth on it being clean.

3rd place behind Schleck and Contador. Were did those two come in the GC in 2012??

The Hitch said:
Vaughters was saying the same thing. Why would wiggins choose lance (who he knew doped ) over vaughters ( who he thought was leading a clean team)

Sometimes you can get on with someone with views who you don't agree with, while personally not getting on with someone you generally have similar views to. I suspect Armstrong can have a bit of a charm effect on people, especially as from what I understand, Wiggins wasn't getting on well with others at the front of the peleton.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Joachim said:
Came pretty close the year before, though didn't he, with JV staking his worth on it being clean.

3rd place behind Schleck and Contador. Were did those two come in the GC in 2012??

How close was he though?

+6 min to Contador and +2 min to Schleck (who Wiggins had taken c.1'30 out of in the TTT and ITT) is hardly close IMO.

To Contador, Wiggins lost 20s on the inncuous Arcalis finish (also the only key stage he finished with Schleck), then 1 min, 3 min and 30s on Verbier, the Grand Bornand stage and Ventoux respectively. This on a route that was almost as tame as the 2012 TdF.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Joachim said:
Very easy for a bunch of internet warriors to come out with the sort of stuff you guys are (anonymously) but this is Wiggins work environment, not a school playground. He's shown the tact and diplomacy one would expect of a Tour champion. He's a public figure ffs, not some internet troll with nothing riding on it. Besides, he doesn't have to say anything. It wasn't him that doped for 7 Tours and dragged the sport into the gutter.

If I was in his position, I wouldn't have shot my mouth off until the appropriate moment either.

the asian said:
Wiggins is highly unpredictable in what he says. and makes no sense most of the time.
You can have a good laugh by reading what he has said on the Armstrong affair over the period.

Whether finally reality dawned upon him. or whether it's some PR exercise at behest of SKY is anybody's guess.

The Hitch said:
I agree. The article is a very good response. And it has enough f words to look legit

But it makes the strong " i love lance" comment as well as the attack on landis when landis spoke out, even more bizzare.

Your wife was so certain he was doping that she couldn't watch and you felt the same, but you declares you loves the guy a few months later?

Actually - I think the wife had the problem watching the Oprah episode - not Ventoux - which fits the timeline, yes?

You know, Wiggo has shown himself not to be the brightest bulb in the store. No dummy, assuredly, but still, not to the level of artful diplomacy. So I don't see much conflict here. When first asked about Lance, before USADA, he doesn't share every little random thought, he shares his predominant thinking. What most of us ordinary folk do. You have doubts every day at work that you don't share with your boss, right? Just like that. So when the brown slop hits the fan, and there is a sea-change in thinking? Could be, could be.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
del1962 said:
Sometimes you can get on with someone with views who you don't agree with, while personally not getting on with someone you generally have similar views to. I suspect Armstrong can have a bit of a charm effect on people, especially as from what I understand, Wiggins wasn't getting on well with others at the front of the peleton.

Yeah to that. We KNOW Armstrong has the charm effect. How else could a guy who is obviously such a self-centered a-hole have not just any friends at all, but so many? Charisma.

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Quite.

Life probably seems very simple from your armchair with your laptop on your knee. Especially if that is pretty much all you do.

Wiggins rant could have been better phrased, but the sentiment behind it was spot on.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
The two minute turnaround on LLS... guess he's clean now.

Wonder if the difference is pre-race preparation or simply more pints.

As I said in another thread, keep in mind that LL isn't the card played in those races, he's primarily there for stages. The real GT guys are Mollema and Gesink.

It's pretty reasonable to assume he doesn't go balls to the wall in a GT if nothing depends on it and he doesn't think he can win.

Considering his ungoing Palmares I sincerely doubt LL changed his ways...:(

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
del1962 said:

I disagree, where doping is concerned, its people's livelihoods and careers that are at stake and there whole ethos and how they view sport. It's a bit different to disagreeing with someone about being vegetarian or not, or which political party you vote for.

Joachim said:

Bit of an overstatement, and JV appears to be in active 'distancing and discounting' mode now as he actively points out how Sir Brad had his nose up Lance's chamois. Please try and stay current.

Lance Led. Floyd Followed. Brad Brown-Nosed.

'Lance, do I take the EPO before the blood extraction, or after? What about when I re-infuse? How will I know which RV Ferrari is in?'

Dave.

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Joachim said:
Err.....JV a couple of days ago, on Twitter

"Brad I love you and I believe you are clean"

What have I missed since then?

+1. I also pointed out that the 'incriminating' JV tweets posted here conveniently cut that part out.

I'm starting to wonder if these Sky threads aren't fueled mainly by British self-loathing. Reflects more on the British psyche than the state of cycling, I suspect...

mastersracer said:
+1. I also pointed out that the 'incriminating' JV tweets posted here conveniently cut that part out.

I'm starting to wonder if these Sky threads aren't fueled mainly by British self-loathing. Reflects more on the British psyche than the state of cycling, I suspect...

You made this same point a few days ago,

I pointed out a few major flaws in it.

Conveniently, you dind reply and are back repeating yourself

The Hitch said:
Difference between testimony and opinion

What jv wrote about wiggins and lance yesterday was a matter of fact statement. He was there he saw it, it happened.

What Jv writes about wiggins being clean is that its his opinion. He wasn't there he didn't see it and he doesn't know 100% if it happened.

That said its all redundant anyway because Jv saying he thinks wiggins is clean was mentioned in this thread. And in this.many other threads

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
You made this same point a few days ago,

I pointed out a few major flaws in it.

Conveniently, you dind reply and are back repeating yourself

Yes, but it's not true that Sky aren't being singled out or that they are unique in shouting from the rooftops. For one, Garmin/JV shout it louder and with more moral pretense. I've pointed out before that even Ryder's suspicious 2012 blood values and JV's inadequate response gets barely a mention compared to Sky.

It's not about Sky. It's about Britain's self-loathing. Interesting piece in the Guardian by Jonathan Jones, "The excess is not in alcohol but in Britain's self-loathing" states "a country that pictures itself as broken, boozing, morally sick." Interesting that the British here see exactly this in Wiggins.

TRENDING THREADS