• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 103 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
_nm___ said:
is it this year that Bradley Wiggins' contract ends? could he be bold enough and sign for another team next year?

i want to see him race against Christopher Froome for real

shouldn't he rather work at tesco's than have to follow team orders and not get a fair shot at the giro-tour double, really?

His contract is up at the end of the season, can't see Wiggins leaving Sky any time soon though.

Afrank said:
His contract is up at the end of the season, can't see Wiggins leaving Sky any time soon though.

If he wins the Giro he will go for the Vuelta either this year or next. Cant see any reason why Wiggins would leave Sky. Sky gives him everything he needs. I doubt he has proper motivation to seriously contend at the Tour again and I think he knows it.

Cavendash

BANNED
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
williamp78 said:
In the Sky documentary kerrison mentioned using his first year as a research year; to find out how things are done and to increase his knowledge and use that as a springboard for his second year.

In regards to the TT gears Wiggins used to spin the pedals pretty quickly (being a track pursuitist) this but was always a bit off Martin so they changed his cadence by dropping the revs. They got this idea by essentially copying Martin's TT cadence. (thats also from the same tv series)

Redonculous info the Sky's putting out there.

Just sayin' :rolleyes:

Cavendash said:
I see that some of you saw that article that has now been deleted and wanted the link, i didn't realise the amount of red tape on here blocking the simple posting of an article.

I think its ok to put the links to the Wiggins articles from the Guardian so here they are...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/apr/27/tim-kerrison-bradley-wiggins-team-sky

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/apr/27/bradley-wiggins-giro-tim-kerrison

Posting links to articles is ok.
Quoting small parts of an article to make comments on is ok, as that falls under fair use.
Copy and pasting the entire article into a post is copyright infringement.
Copy and pasting the entire article into a post without mentioning that you did not author the article is copyright infringement AND plagiarism.

Thanks for the link, "You don't get a Knighthood for nothing these days!"...hehe...they mistitled the video though, it should be "Bradley Wiggins believes he is in a better condition than before last year's [Giro d'Italia] Tour de France"...

...that comment is interesting though, his numbers must be really good. I think we may see some more progress on the climbs again after 2012. Everyone thought he'd reached his maximum in 2011, getting slightly dropped in the Dauphine, then he got better in 2012, barely getting dropped at all in the TDF...and now it's 2013.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Is Wiggins riding an oval chain wheel for the Giro?

I saw his yellow TdF bike in Toro's and was amazed just how far from round the chainwheel actually was. Sky blamed the oval chainwheel for his gearing problems in Vuelta 11 because they couldn't get a low enough gearing with it.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Morbius said:
Is Wiggins riding an oval chain wheel for the Giro?

I saw his yellow TdF bike in Toro's and was amazed just how far from round the chainwheel actually was. Sky blamed the oval chainwheel for his gearing problems in Vuelta 11 because they couldn't get a low enough gearing with it.

If it were that much help, I feel like more people would start using it... its not exactly rocket science to make a circle into an oval :confused:

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Cavendash said:
I see that some of you saw that article that has now been deleted and wanted the link, i didn't realise the amount of red tape on here blocking the simple posting of an article.

I think its ok to put the links to the Wiggins articles from the Guardian so here they are...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/apr/27/tim-kerrison-bradley-wiggins-team-sky

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/apr/27/bradley-wiggins-giro-tim-kerrison

thanks for sharing. It's quite interesting article about kerrison. He is definitely the only coach so far who thinks outside the box. His assessment about team focusing on buying high profile rider instead of make the best out of them.. is so right on. (ehm, bmc, saxo.. :p). It does make sense to invest in more coaching. No wonder sky development team are a leap frog from any team who's been in cycling for so many years. Sky is lightning ahead as far as their training method. I begin to like his guy Kerrison. He is an inventor like type and very creative. I guess it might be possible for Froomie or maybe wiggin or richie winning 3 tours in one year..:p I wonder what happen if contador signed with sky? is he going to be totaly invincible???:D

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
williamp78 said:
In the Sky documentary kerrison mentioned using his first year as a research year; to find out how things are done and to increase his knowledge and use that as a springboard for his second year.

In regards to the TT gears Wiggins used to spin the pedals pretty quickly (being a track pursuitist) this but was always a bit off Martin so they changed his cadence by dropping the revs. They got this idea by essentially copying Martin's TT cadence. (thats also from the same tv series)

do you have link for that documentary?

Jelantik said:
thanks for sharing. It's quite interesting article about kerrison. He is definitely the only coach so far who thinks outside the box. His assessment about team focusing on buying high profile rider instead of make the best out of them.. is so right on. (ehm, bmc, saxo.. :p). It does make sense to invest in more coaching. No wonder sky development team are a leap frog from any team who's been in cycling for so many years. Sky is lightning ahead as far as their training method. I begin to like his guy Kerrison. He is an inventor like type and very creative. I guess it might be possible for Froomie or maybe wiggin or richie winning 3 tours in one year..:p I wonder what happen if contador signed with sky? is he going to be totaly invincible???:D

Sorry about this ....

Your post is actually pretty ignorant.

Other teams actually have development branches. Example? Until this year, Garmin (which actually sprang from a development squad).

Outside the box coaching? I trust you are a coaching expert and have done a meta-analysis.

Final point (gotta keep it short) - it is easy to make these points after the fact. Hindsight statements like this are marketing to the masses. Of course you can say "we develop" our riders. How else would you describe the transformations? Umm ... "we dope the living crap out of our riders".

I'm not saying Sky don't have some good strategies (for certain races) or good riders. But there's a great deal of spin and BS going on and it is being lapped up in exactly the same manner as the pharmstrong fanboys (weight loss, fast cadence, moral strength from fighting cancer, others on team could be leaders on other teams (and then got popped once leaving), etc).

:)

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:

"They are just ****ing ****ers. I cannot be doing with people like that. It justifies their own bone-idleness because they can’t ever imagine applying themselves to anything in their lives. It’s easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter rather than get off their arses in their own life and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something, and that’s ultimately it. ****s!"

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
iZnoGouD said:
"They are just ****ing ****ers. I cannot be doing with people like that. It justifies their own bone-idleness because they can’t ever imagine applying themselves to anything in their lives. It’s easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter rather than get off their arses in their own life and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something, and that’s ultimately it. ****s!"

While not for sensitive ears, I think this was a good thing to say.