• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 104 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wiggins doesn't talk to the press..but talks to the Team Sky team : http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,28850_8706640,00.html

Still in the fight

After the stage we caught up with Wiggins who talked us through how he felt about the day and situation now on the general classification.

“I think there was some initial disappointment because I wanted to win the stage," he admitted. "It’s been a challenging few days with the crash yesterday and then to come back up. It wasn’t an easy course. I’ve said all along that it wasn’t one of those ones where you could take three or four minutes out of people because it was so technical at the start.

"Then obviously to have a puncture and have to change bikes and disrupt the rhythm is never going to help. But then the second part of the course was really suited to me and I took back a lot of time on people there. It is what it is and it’s put us right back up there now. It’s going to be a hell of a race for the next two weeks."

Over such a long distance the 33-year-old added that it was important to gauge the effort and to look to have something in reserve for the final kilometres.

“I think I rode it pretty well," he continued. "I was a bit ruffled after the bike change and didn’t get the best out of myself on that technical part of the course. It was a bit damp still as well so I was a bit cautious – especially after crashing yesterday. But from Pesaro onwards I really got into my stride and I think physically I was as good as I’ve ever been. But it is the way it is. We’ll deal with it now, but I’m pleased at the same for Alex Dowsett. It’s a brilliant start to his Grand Tour career."

With the dynamic of the race now set to change as Astana defend the jersey, Wiggins isn't ruling anything out.

“There are two weeks to go. The last week’s going to be very difficult and the time gaps are relatively small still. A minute and 16 to Nibali still with all the problems yesterday isn't that bad it’s all to play for. It’s not easy to defend a Grand Tour lead so it’s not a bad position to be in.

"We’re still here and we’ve got three guys in the top 10 now. We’ve got a few cards to play.”

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he always talks about we, when he means me. he is disapointing, nobody else, but he drags everyone with him, like the colombians. what a joke

I think Uran and Henao are disappointed that they had to wait for him on that stage he last time on. So "we" are disaoointed is correct, but "we" are disappointed for very different reasons ;)

I like some of the stuff Wiggins says a lot. It's great that he admitted his descending was pathetic and that he took it lightly. But:
"But then after when we broke it all down and [had] seen the numbers I was producing like that, I was physically better than I've ever been, which also makes it a bit more disappointing."
I call BS. If this were the case, without the puncture he should have distanced Dowsett by a lot more than the 20-30 seconds he would have.

Zam_Olyas said:
I still think he will be fine and will still win it.

Co-sign. Writing Wiggins off just now is pathetic anyway. Two more weeks to race. If it continues raining he might get into big trouble. Otherwise he will show some potential in the high mountains imo.

Let's just see how the race will be ridden...I hope for some fireworks and also expect an outsider to emerge.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
JimPanzen said:
Co-sign. Writing Wiggins off just now is pathetic anyway. Two more weeks to race. If it continues raining he might get into big trouble. Otherwise he will show some potential in the high mountains imo.

Let's just see how the race will be ridden...I hope for some fireworks and also expect an outsider to emerge.

+ 1

I think one of the few shortcomings of the camps in Tenerife that Sky do is that they cannot reconstruct every race scenario. Racing down a descent in the rain & freezing cold with your glasses steaming up simply cannot be replicated in training. You saw this with their Classics team coming unstuck in the cold of Northern Europe this spring.

Correct me if I am wrong but I am sure Wiggo has pulled out of preparation races last year when the weather turned. The only snag with that is you never get comfortable with doing it when it counts in those conditions.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
JimPanzen said:

He definately should be written off, but I cant imagine him blowing all the other up in the mountains. I really cant. Not these mountains that very a lot in gradiants and are often very steep. Maybe on a very regular 6-7% climb he could just power then all to death but not in these Giro climbs. BUT he is not long behind and could easily bridge the gap on the MTT, so they other will look for ways to gap him further.

Also. the weather forecasts seem to suggest more rainy weather.

EDIT: this forecasts suggest rather wet weather in the 2nd week http://www.ilmeteo.it/meteo-sport#giro

B_Ugli said:
+ 1

I think one of the few shortcomings of the camps in Tenerife that Sky do is that they cannot reconstruct every race scenario. Racing down a descent in the rain & freezing cold with your glasses steaming up simply cannot be replicated in training. You saw this with their Classics team coming unstuck in the cold of Northern Europe this spring.

Correct me if I am wrong but I am sure Wiggo has pulled out of preparation races last year when the weather turned. The only snag with that is you never get comfortable with doing it when it counts in those conditions.

Ye the Sky tactics prefer few and controlable variables. U often dont get that in the Giro, which is why I love this race :)

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
iZnoGouD said:
"They are just ****ing ****ers. I cannot be doing with people like that. It justifies their own bone-idleness because they can’t ever imagine applying themselves to anything in their lives. It’s easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter rather than get off their arses in their own life and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something, and that’s ultimately it. ****s!"

"****s!" Doesn't really belong in that quote because it is a comment directed at a different target to the rest of the qoute, namely, the journalists at the press conference that asked the questions prompting the first part of the quote towards critical cycling fans.

I haven't paid much attention to Merckx's comments due to his Lance Love but this one is right on:

"It is incomprehensible how Wiggins descends" and "I never saw it before and have never experienced that myself. I do not know why he suddenly descends so bad. He's ridden the past few days like a novice on the downhills. I think there is something wrong with his material, he has no confidence."

Material must be a translation glitch....Wiggins is in a mental meltdown. That could change so he is still dangerous until truly broken and distanced.

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Carols said:
I haven't paid much attention to Merckx's comments due to his Lance Love but this one is right on:

"It is incomprehensible how Wiggins descends" and "I never saw it before and have never experienced that myself. I do not know why he suddenly descends so bad. He's ridden the past few days like a novice on the downhills. I think there is something wrong with his material, he has no confidence."

Material must be a translation glitch....Wiggins is in a mental meltdown. That could change so he is still dangerous until truly broken and distanced.

Agree about the meltdown but it could very well be also an actual material problem? Wheels, frame geometry and stiffness, tires, tire pressure, lots of variables out there!

indenial said:
Agree about the meltdown but it could very well be also an actual material problem? Wheels, frame geometry and stiffness, tires, tire pressure, lots of variables out there!

I just think that he's fearful of ruining his entire season by potentially crashing out of the Giro. He likely figures that he can make up any time lost in descents later in that particular stage or later in the race. If that doesn't happen he figures that he'll still be intact for his defense of his Tour title. If he crashes out in the Giro, with an injury that stops him from competing in the Tour then his season is shot.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
This Giro is over for Wiggins. The plan was very simple:
* take time in the Team Time Trial = check
* take time in the Time Trial = more or less check
* consolidate in the rest of the stages = not check, even lost 1.5 minutes

Where is he going to take time back? Uphill? Downhill? Uh, no.

His contenders know his weak point and will attack him there, Evans - Nibali - Hesjedal - Scarponi - even Gesink of all people will seek there moment. If it rains tomorrow expect a Jan Ullrich from Wiggins.

And, to be frank, the Giro is no Tour. These mountains are way tougher. Also the way the Giro is ridden is totally different.

I would be very surprised if Wiggins would come back in GT contention.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:

Merckx hit the nail on the head there. Wiggins confidence, and mental state I would add, isn't high right now. After that first crash he should have been doing like Nibali did and jumped right back on the bike, but he was slow getting back on and didn't rush to catch back up once he was.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
I like some of the stuff Wiggins says a lot. It's great that he admitted his descending was pathetic and that he took it lightly. But:

I call BS. If this were the case, without the puncture he should have distanced Dowsett by a lot more than the 20-30 seconds he would have.

I'm thinking he's just saying he's got high numbers to mess with the other GC contenders heads a little. I don't really expect to see him dropping everyone in the mountains.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
This Giro is over for Wiggins. The plan was very simple:
* take time in the Team Time Trial = check
* take time in the Time Trial = more or less check
* consolidate in the rest of the stages = not check, even lost 1.5 minutes

Where is he going to take time back? Uphill? Downhill? Uh, no.

His contenders know his weak point and will attack him there, Evans - Nibali - Hesjedal - Scarponi - even Gesink of all people will seek there moment. If it rains tomorrow expect a Jan Ullrich from Wiggins.

And, to be frank, the Giro is no Tour. These mountains are way tougher. Also the way the Giro is ridden is totally different.

I would be very surprised if Wiggins would come back in GT contention.

Pretty much my take on it too. I think he'll crack pretty horribly in the mountains. There's no evidence whatsoever of these ''record power numbers'' that Kerrison and Wiggins keep banging on about. The only plausible explanation that I can think of is that he's become so nervous/fearful of the descents (for whatever reason) that it's actually costing him energy and effectively ''hiding'' this best ever form he claims to have. People are comparing his descending to Andy's but it's far worse than anything Andy's ever shown! This is as bad as it gets.

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I think its time for everyone to move on from Wiggins, stop the relentless bashing, he's no longer a threat to the Giro. If you're a Nibali fan, I'd concentrate more on Evans who will tear Vinnie a new one