• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 109 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
staubsauger said:
He's so annoying. So lame. So boring. Really what a pathetic clown!

His team is setting pace the whole day and he's not even trying to launch an attack. This guys seems to have no acceleration at all. He needs a conductet Tour to the finish.

To compare him to Levi is an insult, even for Levi. Levi at least DID his work for stronger team mates. Levi did put back his own ambitiouns behind the ones of a stronger teammate. Hell, Levi even was a stylish climber once during his career compared to Wiggins.

As someone already mentioned this is the second grand tour Sky might lost, because Wiggins is unable to give away his leadership to a stronger teammate.

But Sir Wiggins as always has something important to say. Slick and polished chandelier.

This guy is no champion at all. A true champion is able to take the reins like Contador or Armstrong. Most farcial TDF winner since Riis.

Is this a serious post?

staubsauger said:

His team is setting pace the whole day and he's not even trying to launch an attack. This guys seems to have no acceleration at all. He needs a conductet Tour to the finish.

To compare him to Levi is an insult, even for Levi. Levi at least DID his work for stronger team mates. Levi did put back his own ambitiouns behind the ones of a stronger teammate. Hell, Levi even was a stylish climber once during his career compared to Wiggins.

As someone already mentioned this is the second grand tour Sky might lost, because Wiggins is unable to give away his leadership to a stronger teammate.

But Sir Wiggins as always has something important to say. Slick and polished chandelier.

This guy is no champion at all. A true champion is able to take the reins like Contador or Armstrong. Most farcial TDF winner since Riis.

I agree.

He is an insult to GT winners. Armstrong needs to speak with him and make him stand up like a man.

At this rate Wiggins is 5th best rider at Sky... at best.

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
staubsauger said:

His team is setting pace the whole day and he's not even trying to launch an attack. This guys seems to have no acceleration at all.

This guy is no champion at all. A true champion is able to take the reins like Contador or Armstrong.

Please, please tell me this is a joke. I know which sub-forum I'm posting on but come off it. The reins are not the only thing which Contador and Armstrong took.

jamesmasters said:
Please, please tell me this is a joke. I know which sub-forum I'm posting on but come off it. The reins are not the only thing which Contador and Armstrong took.

Contador, Armstrong, and Riis were real racers. They had balls. Wiggins spends too much time combing his sideburns so he can pretend to be part of a dead subculture.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
postmanhat said:
Hard to take your subsequent comments seriously after that nonsensical bile. But how many team leaders have let one of their colleagues ride away to over-take them in GT standings?
And people are really supposed to take this stance seriously?

Bet Wiggo would have wanted a 36x29 today.

He is done for the Giro, Froome will be angry.

May 14, 2013
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Contador, Armstrong, and Riis were real racers. They had balls. Wiggins spends too much time combing his sideburns so he can pretend to be part of a dead subculture.

There balls clearly weren't big enough even by their own standards.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
postmanhat said:
Hard to take your subsequent comments seriously after that nonsensical bile. But how many team leaders have let one of their colleagues ride away to over-take them in GT standings?

The answer is none.

Wiggins did not 'let' Uran ride away - he had no choice in the matter.

postmanhat said:
Care to let us know what else was going on in the team car? Or were you just making that up just a bit

@Skyfangirl1 (aka David Walsh) tweeted that Bailsford told him during the stage that Uran was going to attack and that was the team plan.

So it is not unreasonable to conclude that it was not a case of wiggins deciding mid stage that uran can attack.

Dr. Maserati said:
The answer is none.

Wiggins did not 'let' Uran ride away - he had no choice in the matter.

Of course he had a say, it may have slightly backfired a bit for Wiggo (to the extent he lost some time to Nibali/Evans), but I expect an attack from Uran was pre-planned prior to the stage and Wiggo would have given the go-ahead if he was feeling good.

Elevation

BANNED
May 14, 2013
Visit site
That was a VERY tough stage today. With the steep ramps coming near the end it must have been highlighted as a bogey stage for Wiggins before the tour began. The problem is, he was supposed to have a two minute cushion from the TTT and ITT to play with.

The only thing that might give him hope was the way he and Froome rode away from Nibali and the field on a climb at the tour last year. But Nibali now looks likes a different rider, and Evans back too. Not looking good.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
@Skyfangirl1 (aka David Walsh) tweeted that Bailsford told him during the stage that Uran was going to attack and that was the team plan.

So it is not unreasonable to conclude that it was not a case of wiggins deciding mid stage that uran can attack.

No - he did not.

del1962 said:
Of course he had a say, it may have slightly backfired a bit for Wiggo (to the extent he lost some time to Nibali/Evans), but I expect an attack from Uran was pre-planned prior to the stage and Wiggo would have given the go-ahead if he was feeling good.

Why would he allow Uran to ride off when he has a gt to win, and not allow Froome to take an easy stage win when hes 4 minutes ahead of his nearest rival on the last mountain of the tour with 1k to go :confused:

May 14, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Why would he allow Uran to ride off when he has a gt to win, and not allow Froome to take an easy stage win when hes 4 minutes ahead of his nearest rival on the last mountain of the tour with 1k to go :confused:

He hardly had much to gain by trying to draft Duran Duran on a category 1 climb.