• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins drama ending?

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
well i guess now we have to wait and see if garmin have indeed released him , i personally am trying to understand whats going on in wiggins head , he had a great tour ride on a very supportive team , imo
can it really be that nationalistic, i think he feels his window is narrowing very fast , but his timing seems miserable..............

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
yes i think that may have played a roll, at sky at the tour he is the big dog, i like wiggo, have no problem with him, i also think retirement on the horizon may have had some influence

A

Anonymous

lagartija said:
yes i think that may have played a roll, at sky at the tour he is the big dog, i like wiggo, have no problem with him, i also think retirement on the horizon may have had some influence

retirment.. whos retiring?

A

Anonymous

lagartija said:
well we are talking about brad wiggins arent we...........and by horizon im thinking in terms of 2 years

at 31.... cant see it...

retiring from the TRACK in 2012 maybe...

2013 from the road be more likely.. i think his final contract will be 3 years with options..

but then maybe he will.. i just cant see it meself..

A

Anonymous

How high can Wiggo go?

Honestly, I don't think he will get top 5, top 10 a stretch. 2009 TDF helped him alot due to the TTT, the lack of mountains and the downfall of usual top 5 contenders Evans, Menchov and Sastre. Not to mention a sub-par tour by his teammate VDV meant that Wiggo was given team support.

I think next years parcours is much better for VDV than Wiggo.

With Contador, Schleck 1, Schleck 2, Armstrong, Evans, Menchov, Nibali, Kreuziger, Gesink, Valverde, Sam Sanchez, Leipheimer, Kloden, Basso, Sastre.

In all honesty, I think all of those guys can edge out wiggo in the 2010 parcours, but not all of those guys can edge out VDV. If I were Vaughters, I'd release Wiggins and focus on VDV for two more years while guys like Bobridge and Zirbel can develop into stage racers. Wiggins is leaving in one year anyway, may as well let him leave now becoz VDV is the true leader at Garmin.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
at 31.... cant see it...

retiring from the TRACK in 2012 maybe...

2013 from the road be more likely.. i think his final contract will be 3 years with options..

but then maybe he will.. i just cant see it meself..

ok im not going to split hairs here, but 2 or 3 years seems like horizon to me

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Remember a few months ago when Wiggens said

"It's like trying to win the Champions League - you need to be at Manchester United but I'm playing at Wigan at the moment so I have to make that step up,"

There was a big debate here about if he was kidding or being a dick. Looks like we now know he was being a dick

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:

"It's like trying to win the Champions League - you need to be at Manchester United but I'm playing at Wigan at the moment so I have to make that step up,"

There was a big debate here about if he was kidding or being a dick. Looks like we now know he was being a dick

i also remember wigan beating chelsea that weekend...

wiggins has actually been pretty silent throughout this whole thing.. the garmin, sky, wiggins debarcle has pretty much been solely created by the daily telegraph.. its the only paper really reporting it, and is responsible for 99% of the rumours..

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
If I were Vaughters, I'd release Wiggins and focus on VDV for two more years while guys like Bobridge and Zirbel can develop into stage racers. Wiggins is leaving in one year anyway, may as well let him leave now becoz VDV is the true leader at Garmin.

Agreed. And why bother with a guy who so obviously can't wait to get out of there?

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
How high can Wiggo go?

Honestly, I don't think he will get top 5, top 10 a stretch. 2009 TDF helped him alot due to the TTT, the lack of mountains and the downfall of usual top 5 contenders Evans, Menchov and Sastre. Not to mention a sub-par tour by his teammate VDV meant that Wiggo was given team support.

I think next years parcours is much better for VDV than Wiggo.

With Contador, Schleck 1, Schleck 2, Armstrong, Evans, Menchov, Nibali, Kreuziger, Gesink, Valverde, Sam Sanchez, Leipheimer, Kloden, Basso, Sastre.

In all honesty, I think all of those guys can edge out wiggo in the 2010 parcours, but not all of those guys can edge out VDV. If I were Vaughters, I'd release Wiggins and focus on VDV for two more years while guys like Bobridge and Zirbel can develop into stage racers. Wiggins is leaving in one year anyway, may as well let him leave now becoz VDV is the true leader at Garmin.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, but I wouldn't say VDV had a sub-par tour. He suffered a horrible crash early in the Giro, which affected his preparation for the Tour. Wiggo benefited from VDV's injury, and had a strong supporting cast. You're right though, next year's Tour is far more suited to VDV. If Wiggo wants to chase the podium, he'll have to do it at Sky, and a slightly weaker team.

A

Anonymous

ImmaculateKadence said:
I pretty much agree with everything you said, but I wouldn't say VDV had a sub-par tour. He suffered a horrible crash early in the Giro, which affected his preparation for the Tour. Wiggo benefited from VDV's injury, and had a strong supporting cast. You're right though, next year's Tour is far more suited to VDV. If Wiggo wants to chase the podium, he'll have to do it at Sky, and a slightly weaker team.

Sorry, by sub-par tour I meant that was because of the season injuries and what not. He rode darn well given his horribly unlucky season

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Brad had never played loyal, look at his contribution to teams on the road. Ridden a track program every year apart from 06, and never really paid his team back. But here, his and his managers sheer stupidity not getting a clause in his contract so he does not require a buy out, will cost him 1 million euro perhaps.

Vaughters should get Landis. He is a better rider than his other GC prospects, and JV did say he was interested before the verdict came down in 08.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Augustyn is better than Martin.

The Sky Tour team will be just as strong as Garmin.

Wiggins
Froome
Augustyn
Lovqvist
Boasson
Arvesen

three on the flat, and I think Gerrans may struggle. Cummings is likely to get a start if he continues his progression. Thomas, Hayman, Flecha, the other guys for those workhorse roles. Arvesen will step up to a Hincapie type role, taking it through to the final climb on the Queen stage, he was phenomenal this year. Ofcourse, unlikely Sky defending any jersey with a role to pull the peloton.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Is Froome that good?

I haven't seem him for a couple of years, but he wasn't anything special back in the day. He's still young, though.

blackcat said:
Augustyn is better than Martin.

The Sky Tour team will be just as strong as Garmin.

Wiggins
Froome
Augustyn
Lovqvist
Boasson
Arvesen

three on the flat, and I think Gerrans may struggle. Cummings is likely to get a start if he continues his progression. Thomas, Hayman, Flecha, the other guys for those workhorse roles. Arvesen will step up to a Hincapie type role, taking it through to the final climb on the Queen stage, he was phenomenal this year. Ofcourse, unlikely Sky defending any jersey with a role to pull the peloton.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Froome is the rider the GB insiders were leaking as their target as the rider to win the Tour within 5 years, until Wiggins showed up this year.

This is the Landis model.

Froome is a talented rider no doubt. But no different to another 50 classification prospects. Won his Barlo contract on the back of two wins in Giro delle Regioni, might have had a high up in William Tell, then a second in the World B champs.

In the Tour in 2008, came about 32nd in the first chrono, then about 24th in the second chrono, and held on with the lead group up until the final mtn ascent in the Queen stage. May have won a stage in Giro delle Capo in 2007. Came about 2nd or 3rd overall in Sun Tour last year. Won the Buller finish from the peloton, the jailbird who won, won from a break.

He is a solid rider no doubt.

Effectively a South African, moved there couple of years back, then switched to GB for cycling in 2008. And welcomed with open arms. Originally a KEnyan. Mates with Rob Hunter and JL Augustyn, who is the real prodigious talent from South Africa.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I remember him and Kinyah in the Cth Games Road Race for Kenya. Funny that he's now considered a Briton.

Kinyah was working hard in the break all day, but cracked when caught - Froome was in the peloton but lost a few minutes at the end. He ended up in the second or third group behind the winners. I don't remember any fireworks but it was a solid, workmanlike ride.

blackcat said:
Froome is the rider the GB insiders were leaking as their target as the rider to win the Tour within 5 years, until Wiggins showed up this year.

This is the Landis model.

Froome is a talented rider no doubt. But no different to another 50 classification prospects. Won his Barlo contract on the back of two wins in Giro delle Regioni, might have had a high up in William Tell, then a second in the World B champs.

In the Tour in 2008, came about 32nd in the first chrono, then about 24th in the second chrono, and held on with the lead group up until the final mtn ascent in the Queen stage. May have won a stage in Giro delle Capo in 2007. Came about 2nd or 3rd overall in Sun Tour last year. Won the Buller finish from the peloton, the jailbird who won, won from a break.

He is a solid rider no doubt.

Effectively a South African, moved there couple of years back, then switched to GB for cycling in 2008. And welcomed with open arms. Originally a KEnyan. Mates with Rob Hunter and JL Augustyn, who is the real prodigious talent from South Africa.

blackcat said:
Vaughters should get Landis. He is a better rider than his other GC prospects, and JV did say he was interested before the verdict came down in 08.

Bring on FLandis! If no one has a problem with Armstrong racing then no one should have a problem with FLandis racing.

It is a good time to get rid of Wiggins. After a ridiculous TdF course, his stock will never be higher. Next year he will stuggle to get into the top ten, and his value will plummet. There is a team willing to pay big bucks for him right now. After selling Wiggins for a pile of euros, Garmin could pick up a rider like FLandis on the cheap.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
This is a good fit for everyone. Garmin can focus on VDV, who if healthy may be the better bet for the 2010 TDF. Besides, it's good for an American team to have an American star. Wiggins capitalizes on his '09 accomplishments at the perfect time, with a rich new team salivating at the thought of a British GC contender. I didn't like the way Wiggins went about it, but I guess you have to sell out a bit to get what you want.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Bring on FLandis! If no one has a problem with Armstrong racing then no one should have a problem with FLandis racing.

It is a good time to get rid of Wiggins. After a ridiculous TdF course, his stock will never be higher. Next year he will stuggle to get into the top ten, and his value will plummet. There is a team willing to pay big bucks for him right now. After selling Wiggins for a pile of euros, Garmin could pick up a rider like FLandis on the cheap.
Wiggins will do better at Sky. When he was alluding to Wigan v Manchester United or Chelsea, he may not have meant medical program, but it really should be seen in light of the medical program.

As much as I lead the case on Garmin and JV, they are doing as little as possible, and no recovery gear is approved. Wiggins will no doubt have access to a Bruyneel model if Brailsford is indeed aspiring to win the Tour.

Wiggins will do alot better when he is no longer restricted to the Garmin model, and he can run with a Bruyneel model medical program.

So, for me, Wiggins will threaten, even on a parcours with hills like '10. He showed enough in the mtns, to indicate if he ups his medical program, and alters his training for an entire season, he will be up there on GC. He can probably still lose one or two more kgs too, which is a worry.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Seriously? LMAO

Given their current roster, I seriously can't believe that ANYONE can keep a straight face at Sky's LUDICROUSLY pretentious goal of saying they are going to win the Tour. Ever! I know Brailsford needs to sell his project to sponsors & an "underserved" British cycling fanbase, but he should be honest: they put together a respectable classics team, and if all goes well, they might be as competitive as, say, a continental team like Cervelo.

Even if Astana falls apart at the seams & Sky gets Contador, they don't have a team to support him beyond the first week of the tour.
Look at their roster: they've got a handful of above-average stagehunters - and not a single mountain domestique who can climb as well as a Chris Horner, much less a Kloeden, Leipheimer, or F. Schleck.
Flecha & Arvesen have their best years behind them.
Froome? Froome who?
B.Hoagen has a great prologue & TT potential, but he's no 3 week tour contender. He sprints better than he climbs.
Lövkvist is wise enough to list the Ardennes as a realistic target next season, but beyond 5th at the TdSuisse, he has yet to show the sort of GC potential that would justify Brailsford's hubristic pretense to the podium at next year's tour.

Sky has a boatload of money, which may yet buy them Wiggins, but they do NOT have a Tour team.

Anyone read today's silly article on Sky's "innovative" management approach:
"win or you're fired." Brand new stuff - and it worked so well for Michael Ball at Rock Racing too.