• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins is too lean for this time of year?

Bradley Wiggins is leaner than ever for this time of the year [see recent pics below]. He is listed as 69kg on the Sky web-site, the same weight as Cavendish. I'm sure he'll do well in his first few races but I'm not sure if he can sustain it to Le Tour. What do you think?

6776109467_e33d76f634_z.jpg

6776109891_12c9ce976e_z.jpg

Wiggins-Bradley-profile_2698407.jpg

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Sky are one of the most scientifically advanced teams who are constantly monitoring their riders's fitness etc.
Especially with Bradley who I am sure, at 34 understands totally what condition he needs to be in to be competitive at the tour, especially after 2010 Tour. And as he is the team leader and his success (plus cav now) will effectively determine how succesful they will consider their season, I am sure they will be keeping an extra eye on him, so I have no doubt that sky + wiggins know what they're doing and he will reach the tour in top shape.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Sky are one of the most scientifically advanced teams who are constantly monitoring their riders's fitness etc.
Especially with Bradley who I am sure, at 34 understands totally what condition he needs to be in to be competitive at the tour, especially after 2010 Tour. And as he is the team leader and his success (plus cav now) will effectively determine how succesful they will consider their season, I am sure they will be keeping an extra eye on him, so I have no doubt that sky + wiggins know what they're doing and he will reach the tour in top shape.

wiggins cant be 34?? is he?

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Christian said:
This is my personal favourite from April last year

Damn... You beat me to it...

But to answer the poster - Bradley has always looked anorexic, so he actually looks like a "fat Bradley" right now

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
palmerq said:
wiggins cant be 34?? is he?
Sorry my mistake: but the point still stands that he is experienced and after winning numerous olympic golds + 4th in tour etc. He is experienced enough to understand how to manage his fitness

Froome19 said:

exactly..

-----

theyoungest said:
Yes. he lost all these kilos with Roubaix in mind :rolleyes:

Why does he feel the need too be that light in spring? That's crazy. There's no reason to be that light so early. I mean being this light is laways crazy, but being at this wieght all season long is just flat out scary. And doesn't make any sense. especially when you compete in a race like Roubaix

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
this approach is bad

what's the point of getting so lean? its not worth
he must be stressed everyday because of his weight..

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Why does he feel the need too be that light in spring? That's crazy. There's no reason to be that light so early. I mean being this light is laways crazy, but being at this wieght all season long is just flat out scary. And doesn't make any sense. especially when you compete in a race like Roubaix

People whined at Jan Ullrich for being "fat" in the off season (he certainly wasn't fat). These people can do nothing right can they! Perhaps you forum dwellers should show them how it's done.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
iZnoGouD said:
this approach is bad

what's the point of getting so lean? its not worth
he must be stressed everyday because of his weight..

The point of maintaining a lean weight in off season is so you don't have to restrict calories in-season. Restricting calories interferes with training/recovery.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
happychappy said:
People whined at Jan Ullrich for being "fat" in the off season (he certainly wasn't fat). These people can do nothing right can they! Perhaps you forum dwellers should show them how it's done.

Yes he was.

Froome19 said:

Yup, just like he did in 2010. Whoops.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Yup, just like he did in 2010. Whoops.
My whole point was to emphasize how he's learnt his mistakes after the 2010 tour (see 2011 season)
Anyway Bradley is very very intense and evidently is all year round focused on keeping right weight and in decent shape. TBH he did get top 3 at paris-nice and so was probably going decently in roubaix.

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Surely he was only in roubaix as support rather than for himself. If i remember correctly he gave his bike to geraint thomas after he punctured. Possibly just before that photo (on arenburg?)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Froome19 said:
My whole point was to emphasize how he's learnt his mistakes after the 2010 tour (see 2011 season)
Anyway Bradley is very very intense and evidently is all year round focused on keeping right weight and in decent shape. TBH he did get top 3 at paris-nice and so was probably going decently in roubaix.
Ya, I don't see anything at all wrong with being this lean this time of year.

He had a short off season because he did the Vuelta and managed to keep his weight off and by the looks of things fitness at a high level.

I also agree with the highlighted - he is an intense character, he is probably very fastidious about all aspects. Which previously has worked against him as he became too stressed, but he appears to have grown in to his role. Its good to see him looks fit and motivated.

Dr. Maserati said:
Ya, I don't see anything at all wrong with being this lean this time of year.

He had a short off season because he did the Vuelta and managed to keep his weight off and by the looks of things fitness at a high level.

I also agree with the highlighted - he is an intense character, he is probably very fastidious about all aspects. Which previously has worked against him as he became too stressed, but he appears to have grown in to his role. Its good to see him looks fit and motivated.

Agree with this. Was reading this article before...

m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/sOixjML8sAeF_ev4Q2pP53Q/view.m?id=15&gid=sport/2012/jan/26/bradley-wiggins-london-2012-tour-defrance&cat=sport

He is talking a good game at least. 2010 seems a distant memory.