Will Contador help Armstrong on Ventoux?

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
1,921
0
0
TRDean said:
hammer...not a hateboy...but you can not compare the two races and call one a joke...is this one a joke because of the lack of mountains? maybe!!
Sure, and that's an arguable point. But it would be a very different point from the equally arguable one that Lance made about last year's Tour.

Last year's Tour was a joke due to (relative) lack of competition.
This year's Tour is a joke due to (relative) lack of good mountain stages.

Oh, how offensive. :rolleyes:
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,844
1
0
Ninety5rpm said:
Indeed, the hate of the h8boyz is more effective at obscuring objectivity than is even the rosiness of the fanboyz shades.
You don't understand here...it has nothing to do with LA...I fully stand on my belief that you can't call one tour weak and another not weak. Two different years...I think this tour has been weak...very weak in the mountains. Weaker than last year!! Comments?
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,921
0
0
Mellow Velo said:
Only one variable? You can't prove a theory on so little evidence.

2007 ( No Menchov)

2 Cadel Evans (Aus) Predictor - Lotto 0.23
4 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Team CSC 7.08

2006
4 Carlos Sastre (Spa) Team CSC 3.13
5 Cadel Evans (Aus) Davitamon-Lotto 5.08
6 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 7.06

So selective statistics can make a joke out of anything. Plenty of jokes can be made at this Tour's expense.
Indeed. So make them.

You can even make jokes about Lance. What you won't hear is Lance complaining about how offensive that is. :rolleyes:
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,921
0
0
TRDean said:
You don't understand here...it has nothing to do with LA...I fully stand on my belief that you can't call one tour weak and another not weak. Two different years...I think this tour has been weak...very weak in the mountains. Weaker than last year!! Comments?
Comment? Good point. Not "how offensive!".

Seriously, I think Lance's point was that he looked at last year's Tour and how the top 5 was riding, and thought he could do well against them. As much as performances in any year can be used to compare to a previous year, it has proven to be correct. Lance is killing the top 5 from last year, and that's just a fact.
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,844
1
0
Ninety5rpm said:
Indeed. So make them.

You can even make jokes about Lance. What you won't hear is Lance complaining about how offensive that is. :rolleyes:
Did Lance not insult both Sastre and VDV? Something about kicking their asses? Regardless if he did it this tour or not that is not something that is acceptable as a sportsman...I don't even care that he apologized...too late...it print.
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
0
0
Ninety5rpm said:
3rd place, and well ahead of everyone in the top 5 from last year's tour, is not exactly run over.
That's for sure. Back to your original question, now that Lance has gained himself another four seconds, is AC more likely to help him? I still don't think so. No matter what Wilcockson thinks (who is wrapped up in dreams of running shirtless with LA and Matthew McConaughey), AC doesn't need to get all altruistic on Ventoux to gain stature in the peloton. Outside of the US media and inside the peloton, general opinion (I'm guessing) is probably that AC has been getting screwed over at le Tour. A recent Tour/Giro/Vuelta champion having to prove himself superior to a recently winless retiree? Come on.

Contador has ridden like a fool at select times, no doubt, but I think that is due to the fire burning inside over the Astana circus. I think he'll gain more stature by stamping his authority all over LA than by helping him defend against Frank Schleck. Tomorrow I may be proven wrong.... it's up to the wee Spaniard.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Ninety5rpm said:
Indeed, the hate of the h8boyz is more effective at obscuring objectivity than is even the rosiness of the fanboyz shades.
Thats because the reality of the fanboy is that their hero isn't going to finish at the top of the podium and they now all have egg on their face because they were just soooo sure Mr Armstrong would win. In terms of Mr Armstrong's attitude, this is a failure for him and he and all of his fans know it. Mock humility is easy when you have to swallow your pride in front of the world.
 
Mar 19, 2009
571
0
0
Armstrong doesn't need any help from Contador. He said he only needed "a second" on Frank before Ventoux to get a podium spot.

All the predictions in the world won't have a bearing on the outcome, the race will play out as it does. Try to enjoy it.
 
May 26, 2009
502
0
0
I think the only one from last year's Tour that we can compare Lance to is Evans.

Sastre - rode the Giro, not in same form as last year
Evans - has focused solely on the TdF in past three editions
Menchov - same as Sastre
Vandevelde - bad start to season, probably not in same fittness

Schlecks have probably "matured", Andy atleast and the team had different objectives last year.

So where is Cadel Evans now?
 
Jul 24, 2009
7
0
0
Publicus said:
Why would he be a complete idiot for marking the one guy who could make up time on him? Hell Lance can't drop Wiggins but somehow you think he's going to win at Ventoux. But Contador is an idiot for marking his closest rival.
Except for the stage where Lance dropped Wiggins...... Did you watch the race?
 
Ninety5rpm said:
Indeed. So make them.
Who said the jokes needed to be made at the expense of Lance?

Point is, your stats are a joke, so this who argument is a non-starter.
Shown by the fact that you have conveniently chosen to ignore evidence that counters your claim.
If you made the point, just to be disrespectful to these specific riders, then fine. Just be disrespectful.
At least I prefer it to this "hater" cliche.
No different to the heaps of disrespect Lance attacts.
 
Jul 24, 2009
7
0
0
Thoughtforfood said:
Thats because the reality of the fanboy is that their hero isn't going to finish at the top of the podium and they now all have egg on their face because they were just soooo sure Mr Armstrong would win. In terms of Mr Armstrong's attitude, this is a failure for him and he and all of his fans know it. Mock humility is easy when you have to swallow your pride in front of the world.
Whats wrong with rooting for someone and them losing? There is no shame in that. The real sad part is the hatred you would have had in your heart if Armstrong did win. People that don't like Lance Armstrong seriously talk more about him than people that do like him. All it does is make Lance a bigger focus. Kind of self defeating if you ask me.

Lance is no different than Michael Jordan as far as selfishness and competitive nature(sans doping allegations), and Jordan has never received any of the hate Lance has. This whole site is amusing.
 
Fan Boy said:
Whats wrong with rooting for someone and them losing? There is no shame in that. The real sad part is the hatred you would have had in your heart if Armstrong did win. People that don't like Lance Armstrong seriously talk more about him than people that do like him. All it does is make Lance a bigger focus. Kind of self defeating if you ask me.

Lance is no different than Michael Jordan as far as selfishness and competitive nature(sans doping allegations), and Jordan has never received any of the hate Lance has. This whole site is amusing.
Jordan is not a little Napoleon who chases down weaker riders who went to the same doctor as he did to dope and then spills the beans. He's a mafia boss. And in my way of thinking, mafia bosses stink. Or uses the sick to cover-up his doped career and to promote his future political ambitions. That's perverse. There has never been an athlete, who, at the human level, has been so loathsome as this man. But that's not my fault.

Your comparison is weak. Armstrong, for character reasons, has brought all this animosity (and rightfully so) upon himself. Why else would it exist, if not true?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Fan Boy said:
Whats wrong with rooting for someone and them losing? There is no shame in that. The real sad part is the hatred you would have had in your heart if Armstrong did win. People that don't like Lance Armstrong seriously talk more about him than people that do like him. All it does is make Lance a bigger focus. Kind of self defeating if you ask me.

Lance is no different than Michael Jordan as far as selfishness and competitive nature(sans doping allegations), and Jordan has never received any of the hate Lance has. This whole site is amusing.
Hey everyone, how many posts do you think we will see by this one? I am betting on 8 total. (at least his screen name is honest)
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,921
0
0
Thoughtforfood said:
Thats because the reality of the fanboy is that their hero isn't going to finish at the top of the podium and they now all have egg on their face because they were just soooo sure Mr Armstrong would win. In terms of Mr Armstrong's attitude, this is a failure for him and he and all of his fans know it. Mock humility is easy when you have to swallow your pride in front of the world.
That it's so obviously important for you personally for your above fantasy assessment to be true about the sociopath and his fans says a lot about you. :(
 
Jul 24, 2009
7
0
0
I'm no rookie, just new to the site. Trust me when I say, I'll never leave now. I am an champion just like Lance.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Ninety5rpm said:
That it's so obviously important for you personally for your above fantasy assessment to be true about the sociopath and his fans says a lot about you. :(
Dude, seriously, comas are free.

Honestly, I wouldn't care all that much. Again, things that affect my wife and children are of real concern to me. This cycling thing is all just a bit of fun. Unlike the "fanboy," I have no personal stake in the exploits of Mr Armstrong or any other cyclist
 
Jul 22, 2009
754
0
0
Ninety5rpm said:
3rd place, and well ahead of everyone in the top 5 from last year's tour, is not exactly run over.
Ohhhhh, I certainly think so!

He came back to the sport thinking that he was going to get by on cruise mode and he is getting his a$$ handed back to him. Your argument hides behind the numbers, but the reality right now is that he's got 6 other riders either ahead or behind him (~ 2 minutes), whence in previous years, at this stage of the game, he'd be 6 minutes ahead of everyone else.

This after dragging his body through Italy, France and God knows where else. His only goal is now to get Phil Ligget's and Paul Sherwin's nipples hard with excitement with the only weapon now left in his arsenal: Sprint 1 mile from the top of the mountain.

Lance knows age is against him. He also knows getting into his very, very, very best shape may just not be enough. Contador will be back next year. Andy and Frank Schleck will be back next year. I bet Menchov is coming back (as well as Vonokhourov).

He is now surrounded with lots of young whipper-snappers who do not look up to him and are willing to race him every single time.
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,921
0
0
rhubroma said:
Jordan is not a little Napoleon who chases down weaker riders who went to the same doctor as he did to dope and then spills the beans. He's a mafia boss. And in my way of thinking, mafia bosses stink. Or uses the sick to cover-up his doped career and to promote his future political ambitions. That's perverse. There has never been an athlete, who, at the human level, has been so loathsome as this man. But that's not my fault.

Your comparison is weak. Armstrong, for character reasons, has brought all this animosity (and rightfully so) upon himself. Why else would it exist, if not true?
Something about cycling... there always seems to be hatred to all champions... Merckx, Lemond, Indurain... all had their share. You can see it happening for Alberto too.

That doesn't mean it's not all irrational emotion and each of has can do better by stepping up and out of the manure.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Ninety5rpm said:
Something about cycling... there always seems to be hatred to all champions... Merckx, Lemond, Indurain... all had their share. You can see it happening for Alberto too.

That doesn't mean it's not all irrational emotion and each of has can do better by stepping up and out of the manure.
Yea, you are right, The Hog, The Uniballer, The Accessory Dog, and The Redneck are all Contador haters. I guess they ate their hatertots and drank thier hateraid in the past week.
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,921
0
0
Señor_Contador said:
Ohhhhh, I certainly do!

He came back to the sport thinking that he was going to get by on cruise more and he is getting his a$$ handed back to him. Your argument hides behind the numbers, but the reality right now is that he's got 6 other riders either ahead or behind him (~ 2 minutes), whence in previous years, at this stage of the game, he'd be 6 minutes ahead of everyone else.

This after dragging his body through Italy, France and God knows where else. His only goal is now to get Phil Ligget's and Paul Sherwin's nipples hard with excitement with the only weapon now left in his arsenal: Sprint 1 mile from the top of the mountain.

Lance knows age is against him. He also knows getting into his very, very, very best shape may just not be enough. Contador will be back next year. Andy and Frank Schleck will be back next year. I bet Menchov is coming back (as well as Vonokhourov).

He is now surrounded with lots of young whipper-snappers who do not look up to him and are willing to race him every single time.
Well, of course. So what? The dude is in 3rd place and well ahead of the top 5 from last year.

The only nipples getting hard are yours at the joy of seeing a champion that you happen to despise possibly get as "low" as 3rd instead of 1st. Do you have any clue about how pathetic that is?

He only won by 6 minutes once, or maybe twice, by the way. Most of the other 4 or 5 wins were much closer.
 
May 19, 2009
238
0
0
+1 on all that have said, AC will follow the Schlecks' wheels until he launches an attack to win the stage. Not sure if Klodi or Lance have it in them to keep the Schleck bros from taking 2nd and 3rd. It should be interesting though.
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,844
1
0
mambo#5 said:
+1 on all that have said, AC will follow the Schlecks' wheels until he launches an attack to win the stage. Not sure if Klodi or Lance have it in them to keep the Schleck bros from taking 2nd and 3rd. It should be interesting though.
It will be interesting...AC has to ride for himself...AS is right there!!! Gonna be fun!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY