• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Championships 2023: Womens Elite Road Race. Loch Lomond - Glasgow 154km

world-championship-we-2023-result-profile-32f63cf179.jpg

world-championship-we-2023-result-map-n2-02cb8d998e.png

tsUvWo0.png

Becuase I feel obliged to add some cultural stuff because that's what people who make quality race threads do here's Loch Lomond

snowlomond.jpg

Funnily enough the music in the first part of this video is also by Loch Lomond

Last edited:
This circuit has produced great racing so far so hoping the elite women can continue the trend..

Just noticed Brand isn't in the Dutch team. Is she injured? Apart from their obvious favourites and Kopecky, Persico and Van Anrooij could go well here with their CX experience. Shirin would be my outside bet for the win here, depending on the team tactics. Could see her being sent to neutralise an attack by Reusser etc, then riding away on a course like this.

Worried that this will be a Vollering or Van Lleuten going off the front early and that’s the race. Nothing against them, I just would like the women’s race be dynamic on this circuit, just the way the Men’s and U23 race today had.

I think, though likely to be proved wrong, so ignore me :) , the circuit is too awkward for any rider to do that, it's too point and squirt as they might say, which favours the stronger puncheur riders who can cope with attritional repetitive riding and sharp climbs both Vollering and Van Vleueten are good at powering through and away solo, I don't think you can do that on this course, so I think Kopecky is favourite.

Finally some cycling on TV!

In the men's race it was the top 4 of the Tour of Flanders in a different order, so Kopecky should do well here. However she might be tired after her track campaign, where she won two golds and one bronze. This might be a clash between her and the Dutch team. So the question is if Vollering prefers SD Worx to win or the Netherlands. Or both at the same time.

Outsiders are Niewiadoma, Reusser, Uttrup, Balsamo, Brown, Dygert and Deignan, but they might once again have to settle for a place of honor.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I honestly think the Dutch team is overrated here.

I think it's way too technical and explosive for AvV, too hard overall for Wiebes, and maybe even Vos, and it doesn't suit Vollering that well either IMO.

I also don't think perfect team tactics help that much because you're not gonna win if you're 10th best here.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The U23 men's race has shown that a tactical win is possible on this course, so far it was always just simply the strongest rider. So that should offer opportunities for the Dutch, because Kopecky will likely be by far the strongest rider today.

But then comes the problem... the Dutch can't race tactically. Marianne Vos can, but she's not good enough anymore. The others are used to winning because they're simply the strongest, not by outsmarting the competition. And I feel that will be necessary, Vollering is the only one who could maybe challenge Kopecky when it really becomes a 1v1 fight, but there's some doubt regarding her form and her fitness. Another Van Vleuten miracle seems unlikely.

I honestly think the Dutch team is overrated here.

I think it's way too technical and explosive for AvV, too hard overall for Wiebes, and maybe even Vos, and it doesn't suit Vollering that well either IMO.

I also don't think perfect team tactics help that much because you're not gonna win if you're 10th best here.

I'm not sure it's too hard for Wiebes. However it's not unlikely she'll crash out of the race.

Logic says the Italians will get at least a medal.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
Danish journalist, Rasmus Staghøj, when asked if it was gonna stay dry: "Not a clue!"

Well... guess that's one way to predict the weather...

For those interested, here's a list of U23 riders:

Netherlands:
Shirin Van Anrooij

Italy:
Eleonora Camilla Gasparini

Belgium:
Julie De Wilde
Marthe Goossens

France:
Cédrine Kerbaol

Switzerland:
Noemi Rüegg