• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your local weather

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Unchained said:
I was concerned that there was some cowboy B.S. Going on..people were told to evacuate but instead thought they "would ride it out" ..there is nothing heroic about staying behind..many people will risk life and limb to save boneheads that don't listen...

If there is a mandatory evacuation they don't necessarily come save you if it's too dangerous. The except to this is if a shelter becomes threatened by the hurricane, then they do come to rescue to people as they did follow the evacuation order. The reason we evacuated when Florence hit was because it was so slow moving and the amount of rain it was going to dump. We knew we'd loose power and weren't sure if we'd be able to get out of the neighborhood.

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
If there is a mandatory evacuation they don't necessarily come save you if it's too dangerous. The except to this is if a shelter becomes threatened by the hurricane, then they do come to rescue to people as they did follow the evacuation order. The reason we evacuated when Florence hit was because it was so slow moving and the amount of rain it was going to dump. We knew we'd loose power and weren't sure if we'd be able to get out of the neighborhood.
If this kind of a weather pattern were to become a regular thing, would you consider moving elsewhere?

Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
If this kind of a weather pattern were to become a regular thing, would you consider moving elsewhere?

My husband would have to be able to get a transfer and it would have to be someplace we are both willing to live. There are states in this country I will not consider living. We won't stay here when we retire, but that's at least 12 or so years away for my husband. Add another 8 or so years for me. If we can retire on just his retirement our plan is to move out of the country when he retires.

This afternoon my PWS on the rooftop of the house registered a peak wind of 179 km/h during a downburst generated by the passage of a large squall line. I've seen a lot of strong downbursts during summer convective thunderstorms but never something like that, for some minutes looked like to be during the passage of the eyewall of an hurricane, not far from my house the roof of a swimming pool collapsed during the event and there were damages almost everywhere in a very large area with shingles and TV aerials and dishes taken away from roofs, trees pulled down and various damages in external parts of buildings.
Near the coast was even worse with peak winds beyond 200 km/h mark in the Arcipelago island of Montecristo, but almost all Italy suffered from severe events related to the cold front that approached from western Med, I've seen photos of Terracina (in Lazio) with buildings collapsed and trees destroyed, probably there was a tornado generated by a mesocyclone, along the Adriatic Sea surfs generated by prefrontal Sirocco flooded streets and buildings near the coast and an exceptional high tide flooded more than 80% of Venice streets with the 156 cm over mean sea level registered at Punta della Salute that was the 4th highest high tide ever.

Here the buildings are from XI to XIV century and are rock solid, so no problem, only some water from the roof where shingles has been taken away and from the windows exposed due to the high pressure from the wind.
But I've read there are some casualties along Italy and some missing at the moment, tomorrow is another day of red alert in some areas but especially for the strong post frontal winds and high seas, the islands of Arcipelago are already isolated and a lot of harbors are flooded and closed due to high tide. The one of Rapallo I've read is also partially destroyed because the protection dam has collapsed.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Nirvana said:
This afternoon my PWS on the rooftop of the house registered a peak wind of 179 km/h during a downburst generated by the passage of a large squall line. I've seen a lot of strong downbursts during summer convective thunderstorms but never something like that, for some minutes looked like to be during the passage of the eyewall of an hurricane, not far from my house the roof of a swimming pool collapsed during the event and there were damages almost everywhere in a very large area with shingles and TV aerials and dishes taken away from roofs, trees pulled down and various damages in external parts of buildings.
Near the coast was even worse with peak winds beyond 200 km/h mark in the Arcipelago island of Montecristo, but almost all Italy suffered from severe events related to the cold front that approached from western Med, I've seen photos of Terracina (in Lazio) with buildings collapsed and trees destroyed, probably there was a tornado generated by a mesocyclone, along the Adriatic Sea surfs generated by prefrontal Sirocco flooded streets and buildings near the coast and an exceptional high tide flooded more than 80% of Venice streets with the 156 cm over mean sea level registered at Punta della Salute that was the 4th highest high tide ever.
The river also started overflowing in my hometown Innichen/San Candido, we also had many landslides and the road to Cortina was closed because of a lake overflowing.
I'm in Innsbruck atm, so I was pretty worried about my family (I wasn't able to contact them on the Phone) and our house, if the river starts overflowing at the right point we could also be in trouble, but fortunately nothing big happened in my hometown, but still:
aaa1-1.jpg

Yesterday post frontal Libeccio wind has hit the Riviera di Levante very rough, i've seen photos of small costal town like Portofino or Cinque Terre with boats put inside the first floors of houses from the windows. Casualities are up to 12 as far i've heard on Sky before going to work.

Anyway rain should continue to fall in the coming days for at least a week, it's what i call "trenino atlantico" with a succession of low pressure systems that enters in the Mediterranean from the ocean without pauses between them, and there is also a Balcanic blocking the prevents low pressures go away to the east.

Regarding roads used for cycling there a lot of damages on the Dolomites, in the TD of the Giro was already mentioned that the road of Passo Manghen that is supposed to be used in next year Giro has collapsed but reading in local press there are a lot of mountain passes with big damages, in some cases wasn't even possible to check because the road are already interrupted in the valleys and with the winter coming the priorities are toward roads needed to reach town and villages.

That one is the canyon where there was the road for Passo Fedaia that is totally removed.

45122147_2188637074514575_2911992963468886016_n.jpg

45267256_2188645227847093_5918445585060331520_n.jpg

First serious snowfall of the season... Serious, you know,

Traffic collapse

TbsxtWl.jpg

Material damage

6cUSlgT.jpg

Supply shortage

EGBC1PS.jpg

Wishing to hibernate

BLU5FRY.jpg

Delays and cancellations...

It's falling since yesterday afternoon and by now it's up to knees deep. Well, I presume it depends on how tall you are.
Sipping Ostfriesen-Tee now, simply because I don't feel like Ceylon.

Re:

sir fly said:
First serious snowfall of the season... Serious, you know,

Traffic collapse

TbsxtWl.jpg

Material damage

6cUSlgT.jpg

Supply shortage

EGBC1PS.jpg

Wishing to hibernate

BLU5FRY.jpg

Delays and cancellations...

It's falling since yesterday afternoon and by now it's up to knees deep. Well, I presume it depends on how tall you are.
Sipping Ostfriesen-Tee now, simply because I don't feel like Ceylon.
Don't quite remember (seeing as I'm getting old and senile and can't tell all you fine folk apart), but, do you cross-country ski at all? Because this would be the time to start waxing so you can get around efficiently! (Classical anyway, don't think you can do that blasting skating in this kind of snow.)

Anyhoo, stay warm, and enjoy that Ceylon tea, sir fly!

PS - Here in my parts we're finally getting some rain, but somehow we are still 8" behind this season.

It's not local but it's a situation to monitor closely in the next week or two, there is a decent possibility of an SSW (Sudden Stratospheric Warming) by the end of the year, ECMWF model is showing a strong zonal wind reversal already the next week in very high stratosphere (1 hPa, 2 hPa, 3 hPa) with propagation to lower parts and at the end of the forecast period an hint of a split can be seen at 10 hPa.

ecmwf10f240.gif

In case of a split of the stratospheric polar vortex a rapid propagation to the troposphere is very likely and the result will be a very weak tropospheric polar vortex and strong cold waves to mid latitudes in a couple of weeks, the literature on the argument says that there could be up to 60 days of conditioning in the troposphere after a major stratospheric warming if the NAM (North Annular Mode) will break the -3 mark.

There was a day a couple of weeks ago when the Australian continent had the 15 hottest recorded temperatures on the planet. Today on the south coast of NSW it's tipped to be 33C - on the coast we get the benefit of cool sea breezes but further west temperatures will be in the mid 40'sC.

The current arctic outbreak is exceptional, in the area near the Great Lakes this morning the minimum temperatures were close to the all-time records and tomorrow will be similar.

Anyway it's almost three weeks that there is a large area with temperatures well below the mean over Northern America. That are the anomalies in the last 14 days (note also the warm area over the arctic).
ncep_cfsr_noram_t2m_2weeks_anom.png

We saw a bit of snow in Eugene earlier this morning (the dog dragged me out at 4:30am because this animal wanted to pee, so that is when I saw the white stuff), but not enough to build a snowman.

Thought I'd have trouble driving to work, but seeing as the temp was above 35F there was no trouble with ice. That is yet to come - it's supposed to freeze overnight, so driving on ice tomorrow morning is what I'm much more wary of than snow.

TRENDING THREADS