• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your local weather

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
HMM, cookster15 got banned. I didn't see any post here or in a few other threads I frequent, but something happened.
A couple of other old-timers got banned as well, think they may have been discussing politics in the Clinic despite several warnings. I'm not sure that was the reason, but either way it's too bad.

Okay, back on topic - it has cooled off here in Eugene for now, even saw some morning dew today. No rain in the forecast yet, but any bit of precipitation helps! :D

Reactions: jmdirt
And just like that summer's back has finally been broken, it's about 40F here this morning. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Glad the heating still works, I haven't had to use it for months and had to literally overnight switch from a/c to heating. The nights will be cool from now on and the daytime highs are not expected to go above 80F for now, so, the next few weeks should be pleasant before it truly starts getting cold. Rain is also finally in the forecast for this weekend, then I'll really be jolly.

glad to hear your heatwave has passed....40f sounds way better than 100f....here yesterday
started 44f and for 1st time my arms felt cold out in a tee...

here summer has been 'as usual' with one small difference it's been really calm with very few
windy days.....early morning mist has been more common...

Mark L
We actually had some rain over the weekend (it even thundered once), which was just marvelous. The air is so much cleaner now, but I'll be looking forward to more rain. This summer has just been the hottest and driest since I've lived in Oregon for over 20 years, if this the new normal I'll have to adjust how I grow my summer plants. (I quit watering my tomatoes much too early, they're small and as hard as golf balls.)

..posted that yesterday....then today heard news....calm conditions have led to UK energy shortfall through unproductive wind turbines..which has various knock on effects......

on + note out today in late summer picked BIG bag apples/pears and along the way grazed on
more blackberries/plums and a few tiny wild strawberries.....the strawberries were so unlike
those in wor shops.....and much tastier but unsuitable to storage as they were so soft....

Mark L
Does Pip like fruit? A friend's dog I used to babysit would pick his own blackberries, while probably a bit prickly you gotta love the self-sufficiency of a determined canine. :tearsofjoy:

and typical! 2 days ago mentioned how few windy days we have experienced then today it's proper windy...gusting to 45mph with 1st real fall of autumn leaves........

Mark L

Bit windy around here too.

The wind - usually bad for golf, but good for the wind turbines and also some echelons. So, unless it's so strong as to be destructive cheer up, wind can be a good thing.

Reactions: RedheadDane
The good thing is in the upper 60's today and lower 70's tomorrow and 50's both nights due to our heater not working properly. The fan in the air handler isn't turning off. Called a local company who's worked on our system before. Unfortunately they are fully booked today. They are closed tomorrow, but they were able to get us on their schedule for Sunday morning. So at least it'll be fixed Sunday. Guess it's better for the heat to go out when you live in the south in the middle of winter where it's definitely not close to cold enough to snow.

Sydney Australia has a wide range of temperatures depending upon how close to the coast (beaches). In summer (December to February), it can be 28C (82F) at the beach / harbor but 40C (104F) in the Western suburbs at the same time - only 20km away. The official Sydney weather is recorded at Observatory Hill which overlooks the harbor (next to the bridge). In winter it gets down to maybe 7C (45F) before sunrise on the coast but as low as -1C (30F) in the western suburbs. Thankfully I live on the coast and try to ride early!

The current La Nina cycle means cooler and wetter weather on the East coast of Australia and drier on the west coast. So far this summer in Sydney has been quite mild and wet. I think two years ago we were on water restrictions. Now the dams are near full. Our farming regions have also received a lot of rainfall so crop yields are great and people in country towns are smiling - also very little Covid-19 there.

What this means is I have had to resort to my trainer more often :)

Wheeee, it snowed here during the night and there is supposed to be more snow on the way later today... snow is still so rare in these parts I still feel like I have to take pictures. The city council claims they have obtained an extra couple of snowplows, so maybe we'll actually be prepared for what looks to be a frigid winter this year. (For now it has snowed only about an inch, so no snowplows necessary yet.)

• Wow
Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
Wheeee, it snowed here during the night and there is supposed to be more snow on the way later today... snow is still so rare in these parts I still feel like I have to take pictures. The city council claims they have obtained an extra couple of snowplows, so maybe we'll actually be prepared for what looks to be a frigid winter this year. (For now it has snowed only about an inch, so no snowplows necessary yet.)

Where abouts is this?

Where abouts is this?
Eugene, Oregon. Usually we get a lot of rain, fog, cold temps, but not really any snow at my elevation.

I already went to the store early this morning and bought some basics( milk, eggs, bread, etc.), the snow is still dumping right now, so I'm expecting some serious snow and ice buildup overnight. As we all know trying to get anywhere on ice/black ice (no matter the mode of transportation) is definitely no fun, so I'm just planning ahead.

As you know from our previous discussions, I grew up in the top of the Idaho panhandle so we had 5 months of snow and winter (70s & 80s). After some time moving around in the Army and college I've been in Boise almost 25 years. I just don't like snow anymore. Don't like shoveling it, don't like driving in it (with all of the warm weather folks that have moved here), don't really even like playing in it anymore. We've already had a half a dozen white days this year and I'm done! :cry:

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
As you know from our previous discussions, I grew up in the top of the Idaho panhandle so we had 5 months of snow and winter (70s & 80s). After some time moving around in the Army and college I've been in Boise almost 25 years. I just don't like snow anymore. Don't like shoveling it, don't like driving in it (with all of the warm weather folks that have moved here), don't really even like playing in it anymore. We've already had a half a dozen white days this year and I'm done! :cry:
Toby seems to be sharing your understandable dislike of snow, he absolutely refused to go outside to pee and poop until I shoveled a little path for him on the patio. Maybe if he was younger and had more than just three functional legs he'd fare better in the snow, but as sympathetic as I am this doesn't mean I'll let him crap on the carpet just because he doesn't want to go outside.

On that note we got at least 8" on Sunday and another inch on Monday, it may snow some more this morning. Thankfully we haven't lost power (yet), I think snow is pretty to look at, but I agree the cold, the shoveling, and the hazardous transportation I can do without.

Here on the NC coast it's been lots and lots of rain. It's not cold enough for freezing rain let alone snow. Farther inland is another story. There is snow, sleet and ice. It's supposed to stop raining here somewhere between 7 and 8 tonight. It started raining somewhere around 2am this morning.

San Diego and surrounding..15-20 degrees above average..super heavy winds..and both dogs shampooed early this morning w natural blow drying effects..also scientists not predicting a super bloom in Anza Borrego but I saw some wild flowers popping up in eastern San Diego county..the wild flowers bloom in a weird combo of rain and then unreasonable sun..it's cool but it takes some travel flexibility..can't tell work that flowers are more important than them..

Reactions: jmdirt
Our lows have been 10-15 colder and our highs the same (L in the teens, H in the 30s). We did have two 'teaser days' that toped out in the high 40 last week, but I'm ready for some warmer weather so that the trails dry out. Its a big help when it stops freezing at night.