• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

¡Adiós!

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Brunel retires.

It doesn't say so directly, but a 23-year-old retiring so suddenly does seem a little like a mental health/motivation issue.
And unretires, he is on the startlist of the Tour de Guadeloupe. Might be one of those guys who's happier plugging away at a lower level without the pressures and troubles of the World Tour, or this might just be a case of being away for a while and having a chance to do some pressure off riding to keep himself in shape in case he does wish to return at a later date.

And unretires, he is on the startlist of the Tour de Guadeloupe. Might be one of those guys who's happier plugging away at a lower level without the pressures and troubles of the World Tour, or this might just be a case of being away for a while and having a chance to do some pressure off riding to keep himself in shape in case he does wish to return at a later date.
He actually started competing again on the 17/07 at the GP ASC Madiana which he won, then won the Tour de Marie Galante so I suspect you might be correct and he does still enjoy racing but without the pressure of the WT.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Goodbye to one of the greats, the big Tom Dumoulin decides to retire today.

View: https://twitter.com/tom_dumoulin/status/1559215107514720259?s=20&t=rVpWYTcXwFri0146fDUtcg

FaNx34_X0AAeSBT

To be fair he had health issues which weren’t productive to a pro cyclist.

Of course, they probably didn't help, but it appears he basically refused to let it stop him. Also, from what I understand, it's not something that should make riding his bike fundamentally difficult; as long as he remembered to take his - legal - injections, and didn't get any majorly bleeding wounds, it seems he was fine.

I will miss Alex Dowsett very much!…

For me, he was just another (very good) professional cyclist, until I learned he had and has this bleeding disease. Since then, I really started to admire him.

Unfortunately, I also then started to be worried for him. I started to consider him as fragile - my mind somehow was worried for him, and I more and more stopped regarding him the great athlete he is. Same with the Novo Nordisk riders. As soon as I get to know they have a (even treatable) chronic desease, I start to underestimate then.

In Dowsett‘s case, I started to worry he would crash hard. This could have been stressful for him. Imagine, you‘re ambitious like Primoz Roglic, and race to win every race - though you crash in almost every race. That‘d really be tricky as a bleeder… :(

Has it ever happened that 4 cycling legends like Valverde, Gilbert, Nibali & Rebellin retired in the same season?

Is Rebellin actually retiring. Yes, he is listed as being set for retirement on PCS, but... do we actually believe it? And I'm suspecting it's only WT and PT riders.
And no, they have never retired before. Well, Rebellin has, but that didn't last long.

And no, they have never retired before. Well, Rebellin has, but that didn't last long.

Being "like" someone is not the same as being the exact same person.

Also I've been told on here in the past that Rebellin isn't a legend.

Armstrong and Cipollini both retired in 2005, and there are some other big names that year, but not really any other legends.

Sean Kelly, Moreno Argentin and Greg LeMond all retired in 1994.

TRENDING THREADS