• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

“I have never admired Armstrong and never will.”

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 2, 2009
14
0
0
Visit site
What was disappointing for me regarding Armstrong was his lack of competitiveness - he never seriously challenged in any single stage last year (excluding mountain biking of course).

Without one single stage or race win, that had to hurt.
 
Jul 27, 2009
98
0
0
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Maybe Astana not releasing Bruyneel and half of the Shack squad, for next season will wake your lazy *** up?:)

Well, atleast your not blowing things up more than they are. :) 4 riders is half of shack. i guess the other 19 riders don't amount to much for sure.

L'equipe reports that they were close to releasing JB and 3 of the 4. Obviously, JB on't rest until he gets all 4. Nice to see he won't leave a man under the bus so to speak. In short time I am sure it will be another hill made into a mounain.

Enjoy your jubilation while it lasts though.
 
Jun 24, 2009
463
0
0
Visit site
Publicus said:
It certainly woke Lance up today. From his twitter page:

SSDD :D:D:D
Ha! just as I suspected. In fact, I predicted that reaction on the Transfers...... thread. Twaater away me boy! Thanks Publicus.
BTW I don't think Bruyneel would sit for a year. What? he sat for about 15 minutes, in retirement, between Discovery Channel and Astana, back in'05. He needs his fix of LA, he can't help it.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
1
0
Visit site
jpmcmahonjr said:
Well, atleast your not blowing things up more than they are. :) 4 riders is half of shack. i guess the other 19 riders don't amount to much for sure.

L'equipe reports that they were close to releasing JB and 3 of the 4. Obviously, JB on't rest until he gets all 4. Nice to see he won't leave a man under the bus so to speak. In short time I am sure it will be another hill made into a mounain.

Enjoy your jubilation while it lasts though.

Do you have a link for the close to release part? I read that the Hog left the meeting in Monaco in a bad mood after 3 hours arguing.
 
jpmcmahonjr said:
Well, atleast your not blowing things up more than they are. :) 4 riders is half of shack. i guess the other 19 riders don't amount to much for sure.
L'equipe reports that they were close to releasing JB and 3 of the 4. Obviously, JB on't rest until he gets all 4. Nice to see he won't leave a man under the bus so to speak. In short time I am sure it will be another hill made into a mounain.

Enjoy your jubilation while it lasts though.

Hey jr, I'm not jubilant. Two teams in a tug of war over personel, is not my idea of happiness.
The real concern is how the situation has been cultivated, the involvement of the UCI and the probable protracted legal wranglings, that will effect all concerned.

Corners have been cut and the result is a legal mess.
 
Jun 24, 2009
463
0
0
Visit site
jpmcmahonjr said:
Nice to see he won't leave a man under the bus so to speak. .
Are you blind to the fact that he already threw Contador under the Bus at the TdF this year, or were you away for all of that? Or, is it that you are just a fan, and you will toss all sorts of nonsense out there, no matter how hard you've got to stretch and warp it.
The behavior of LA and JB has been deplorable since the 2009 TdF began.
Understand one thing, LA has brought JB 7 TdF titles, 7 GT's. In two short, abridged years Alberto has brought him 4 GT titles. How cognizant of those facts, or grateful has JB seemed toward his(former) rising star?
Think a little harder before you scribble, otherwise you risk sounding a bit foolish,..... or predictable.
 
Jul 27, 2009
98
0
0
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Do you have a link for the close to release part? I read that the Hog left the meeting in Monaco in a bad mood after 3 hours arguing.

No link this is all I have:

Bruyneel vs. Kazakhs: Astana want 2 keep Kloden. Popovych, Rast, Zubeldia, JB also still under contract w/Astana. (L'Equipe)

Bruyneel walks out of 3-hour negotiations yesterday in Monaco. Kazakhs have STILL not paid all $$ owed. (L'Equipe)

JB was close 2 deal w/Kazakhs: Zubeldia 2 stay at Astana, others depart w/JB to RS. Call to Kazakhstan=no deal. (L'Equipe)

Bruyneel told L'Equipe he won't allow personal status 2 interfere w/RS ProTour license. "If necessary, I'll take 2010 off."

Kazakhs say they still want 2 negotiate. On hold though as JB departed 4 Paris for tomorrow's 2010 #tdf route presentation.
 
Jul 27, 2009
98
0
0
Visit site
racerralph said:
Are you blind to the fact that he already threw Contador under the Bus at the TdF this year, or were you away for all of that? Or, is it that you are just a fan, and you will toss all sorts of nonsense out there, no matter how hard you've got to stretch and warp it.
The behavior of LA and JB has been deplorable since the 2009 TdF began.
Understand one thing, LA has brought JB 7 TdF titles, 7 GT's. In two short, abridged years Alberto has brought him 4 GT titles. How cognizant of those facts, or grateful has JB seemed toward his(former) rising star?
Think a little harder before you scribble, otherwise you risk sounding a bit foolish,..... or predictable.

Okay let's be clear. AC won the freakin TDF. If that is being thrown under the bus. I'll take two please. Good LORD!!!!!!!! Get a grip.

DO you think JB might have helped bring AC 4 GT's? I didn't think you would, but you are blind and dumb to think JB did not help facilitate that very thing happening. How many did AC have pre JB? Do some searching. Oh, nevermind zero, zilch, nada, 0!!!!!

Scribble away oh master of clear thinking. Uh..........
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
1
0
Visit site
jpmcmahonjr said:
Okay let's be clear. AC won the freakin TDF. If that is being thrown under the bus. I'll take two please. Good LORD!!!!!!!! Get a grip.

DO you think JB might have helped bring AC 4 GT's? I didn't think you would, but you are blind and dumb to think JB did not help facilitate that very thing happening. How many did AC have pre JB? Do some searching. Oh, nevermind zero, zilch, nada, 0!!!!!

Scribble away oh master of clear thinking. Uh..........

Are you surprised that AC did not win a Tour when he was in the hospital with brain hemorrhage?
 
Jul 27, 2009
98
0
0
Visit site
No, that might be the only thing that could hold him back these days. But, let's be honest that did not encompass his entire career did it?

Give credit to those that deserve it as well. I mean come on. JB and his GT recipe has had it's part. Make no less of a thought to JB taking a chance on a rider that was also thought to be involved in the whole Liberty scandal. If AC truely or you thinks JB's help, coaching, managing and belief in AC isn't a part then. This discussion is pointless on so many levels.
 
Aug 9, 2009
505
0
0
Visit site
I don't get Bruyneel. I can't understand why he would go with LA who surely can't have more than a couple years left in him instead of AC who's entering what promises to be a golden age.

I understand the gratitude and friendship or whatever but truth is LA had 0 GTs before JB just as much as AC had 0 GTs before JB. LA didn't make JB.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
1
0
Visit site
jpmcmahonjr said:
No, that might be the only thing that could hold him back these days. But, let's be honest that did not encompass his entire career did it?

Give credit to those that deserve it as well. I mean come on. JB and his GT recipe has had it's part. Make no less of a thought to JB taking a chance on a rider that was also thought to be involved in the whole Liberty scandal. If AC truely or you thinks JB's help, coaching, managing and belief in AC isn't a part then. This discussion is pointless on so many levels.

It appears your fandom is clouding your thoughts.

AC's brain issues took away most of his first seasons as a Pro, Operation Puerto took away his 4th.

The Hog took no chances when he hired AC, he was by far thought to be the next big thing. At the time most felt that The Hog was lucky to get him and it was a great win.

You seem to think that it is the Great Hog Intellect that won AC 4 GT's, Perhaps you can enlighten us morons what what exactly this means? Especially since The Hog was only in the car for 2 of the 4 wins.
 
Jun 24, 2009
463
0
0
Visit site
jpmcmahonjr said:
Okay let's be clear. AC won the freakin TDF. If that is being thrown under the bus. I'll take two please. Good LORD!!!!!!!! Get a grip.

DO you think JB might have helped bring AC 4 GT's? I didn't think you would, but you are blind and dumb to think JB did not help facilitate that very thing happening. How many did AC have pre JB? Do some searching. Oh, nevermind zero, zilch, nada, 0!!!!!

Scribble away oh master of clear thinking. Uh..........
You ought to try some sedatives. But then again, it sounds like you like your state of mind.
I don't have to do any searching, it's all out in the open. JB might have been AC's DS during those victories, but as soon as LA reappeared, Contador was pushed to the rear. Bruyneel did not exercise any control of the team during the TdF, and everyone was just blabbering away at the tension within the team.
As far as the victory this year, hey I didn't complain, it just sounds like YOU are having a hard time swallowing it. It's been all the maneuvering during and after the Tour that has pitched AC under the bus. Fortunately, for AC he persevered DURING the Tour and still took the title. Post the Tour, JB is trying his hardest to strip any support from AC(while he is bound to Astana) that he can, whether they are under contract or not.
How many GT's did AC win before Bruyneel? Aw c'mon. Yes, zero is the correct number. But, what was he, 24 yrs. old? He had just come off a brain aneurysm? You know the numbers, I'm sure. When did LA win his first TdF? AC has 4 under his belt, at the same point in his life
You aren't any fun to play with tough guy. Shout at the wall for a while will ya
 
Oct 6, 2009
5,270
2
0
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Especially since The Hog was only in the car for 2 of the 4 wins.

Just curious, but are you counting the 2009 TdF as one of those in which JB was in the car for Alberto? I think that one needs a big old asterisk beside it. Technically, AC was his own director, or maybe we can count Fran for that race?
 
Jun 24, 2009
463
0
0
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It appears your fandom is clouding your thoughts.

AC's brain issues took away most of his first seasons as a Pro, Operation Puerto took away his 4th.

The Hog took no chances when he hired AC, he was by far thought to be the next big thing. At the time most felt that The Hog was lucky to get him and it was a great win.

You seem to think that it is the Great Hog Intellect that won AC 4 GT's, Perhaps you can enlighten us morons what what exactly this means? Especially since The Hog was only in the car for 2 of the 4 wins.
Summed up very nicely:) Thank you Race Radio
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
1
0
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
Just curious, but are you counting the 2009 TdF as one of those in which JB was in the car for Alberto? I think that one needs a big old asterisk beside it. Technically, AC was his own director, or maybe we can count Fran for that race?

You are correct, one out of four.

The Hog will still figure out a way to claim credit.
 
jpmcmahonjr said:
No, that might be the only thing that could hold him back these days. But, let's be honest that did not encompass his entire career did it?

Give credit to those that deserve it as well. I mean come on. JB and his GT recipe has had it's part. Make no less of a thought to JB taking a chance on a rider that was also thought to be involved in the whole Liberty scandal. If AC truely or you thinks JB's help, coaching, managing and belief in AC isn't a part then. This discussion is pointless on so many levels.

Last edited by jpmcmahonjr; Today at 12:50.


I hope that edit was not an attempt to improve the clarity of your post.
 
SergeDeM said:
I don't get Bruyneel. I can't understand why he would go with LA who surely can't have more than a couple years left in him instead of AC who's entering what promises to be a golden age.

I understand the gratitude and friendship or whatever but truth is LA had 0 GTs before JB just as much as AC had 0 GTs before JB. LA didn't make JB.


I believe that LA & Bruyneel aren't interested in "cycling" anymore- and by that I mean- winning races. what lately motivates the two of them is the MONEY & The Business Aspect of it, the sponsorships, the endorsements, the power game, the fame/expansion of the brand/the cycling industry and anything else around it.
that point of view is the principal reason why Contador & Bruyneel didn't bond the same way, since Alberto is a racer by nature & find joy in winning as many as he can, whereas Johann & Lance take pleasure in cycling as a "very lucrative" profession.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.