• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

114th Paris-Roubaix - UCI World Tour (10/4-2016)

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
CheckMyPecs said:
Tonton said:
I was working, getting text updates, and got to watch the video (not knowing who won). The final kilometers were fantastic, attack after attack...a deserving winner for sure. A bit sad for Boonen, and super-sad for Cance: it could have been the perfect script...
Hayman is only a worthy winner if you see Paris-Roubaix as some sort of Career Achievement Award, but then we might as well let Contador win it next year.

Why is that? Hayman was incredible and he fought his *ss off. In the end Vanmarcke nor Boonen couldn't drop him and he was the strongest in the sprint.

Totally deserved.

When Hayman was in the breakaway, he looked so at ease when riding over the cobblestones, he was certainly not the strongest rider in the race, but he was the strongest of the breakaway and the freshest in the final. And he played his cards really well. I don't understand how his win can be called 'undeserved'.

Gigs_98 said:
I want to cry right now. I watch every freakin race in the whole season and the first big one day race, of the whole year which I miss is described by long time fans like Eshnar as the best Paris Roubaix they have ever seen. Seriously, how high are the odds that I will ever get the chance to see such a PR again. :cry:

Oh and btw, the penultimate WT one day race I didnt watch was Gent Wevelgem 2015, no f***ing joke :eek:

If you are planning to miss another race, be sure to let us know in advance.

Gigs_98 said:
I want to cry right now. I watch every freakin race in the whole season and the first big one day race, of the whole year which I miss is described by long time fans like Eshnar as the best Paris Roubaix they have ever seen. Seriously, how high are the odds that I will ever get the chance to see such a PR again. :cry:

Oh and btw, the penultimate WT one day race I didnt watch was Gent Wevelgem 2015, no f***ing joke :eek:
Stop watching cycling live. Please. :eek: :p

Eshnar said:
Gigs_98 said:

Since I'm angry on the whole world right now I just swore to myself to never miss a cycling race again.

Gigs_98 said:
Eshnar said:
Gigs_98 said:

Since I'm angry on the whole world right now I just swore to myself to never miss a cycling race again.

So selfish =(

With a lot of the truly great races though you don't always remember them for the winner if somebody else did something remarkable in the race. I remember, say, the 2010 Giro more for Cuddles and Vino in the mud, and for Arroyo's incredible descending, than I remember it for Basso winning. Similarly, Paolini winning Gent-Wevelgem last year is nothing on Jürgen Roelandts' solo break, which will forever be what I remember that race for, and the fact he hasn't won anything since that day is a gross crime against cycling.

This, however, was an ensemble cast. Nobody did anything superhuman, but everybody played their part in making this a great race, and an antidote to some of the poorly raced editions of recent years (2010 with everybody racing for 2nd, 2012 with Sky refusing to use any bullets other than a completely gassed Stannard until the gap was way too big to pull back, and last year). You had two of the final five who could easily have sat on and trusted their sprint but didn't (and neither of them won it anyway despite the sprint). You had a range of compelling stories - the wily veteran domestique on a career day, the seeming coming man trying to get that first true breakthrough win, the legend who's been there and done it before and has the crowd on his side - and you had the second group on the road with some breakaway riders and underdogs that people wanted to see do well. If anything, it was made better by the early removal of Cancellara and Sagan from contention (even prior to the crash of course) because it gave the earlier part of the race some impetus but also gave big guns a reason to be riding hard really early in the race so that they weren't just picking off the tired legs of the escapees later on, and it also created fewer reasons for those caught or those who had got into the Boonen group to sit on.

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:

my fave edition is 12 but this is the most exciting PR i can remember. If it makes you feel any better i cried from watching the race :p

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Bushman said:
That save from Sagan is the best piece of bike handling I have ever seen. He litterally jumped over a bike on the clipped with one foot unclipped on a slippery pave and kept the bike upright.

Best bike handler in history of professional road cycling.
I agree.
I dont really know how he does this, its unreal :eek:

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Gigs_98 said:

I Agree with Eshnar, esp dont watch LBL this year! :D that was a lame race for couple of years now :eek:

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
This, however, was an ensemble cast. Nobody did anything superhuman, but everybody played their part in making this a great race, and an antidote to some of the poorly raced editions of recent years (2010 with everybody racing for 2nd, 2012 with Sky refusing to use any bullets other than a completely gassed Stannard until the gap was way too big to pull back, and last year). You had two of the final five who could easily have sat on and trusted their sprint but didn't (and neither of them won it anyway despite the sprint). You had a range of compelling stories - the wily veteran domestique on a career day, the seeming coming man trying to get that first true breakthrough win, the legend who's been there and done it before and has the crowd on his side - and you had the second group on the road with some breakaway riders and underdogs that people wanted to see do well. If anything, it was made better by the early removal of Cancellara and Sagan from contention (even prior to the crash of course) because it gave the earlier part of the race some impetus but also gave big guns a reason to be riding hard really early in the race so that they weren't just picking off the tired legs of the escapees later on, and it also created fewer reasons for those caught or those who had got into the Boonen group to sit on.

agree, their absence contributed in making the great race we´ve seen.

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I still can't believe how awesome this race was. With about 20 km to go I remember thinking I'd rate this race 9/10 and not 10/10 because there we no Dutchies involved in the final but that last 10 Kilometer was just the best thing ever that ever happened in the history of everything ... I mean all those attacks ... all those chases ... the Belgian commentators going wild ... all 5 together in the last lap in the velodrome ... that final sprint ... the look on Hayman's face after winning. My body was literally shaking and I had tears in my eyes because of all the epicness I had just witnessed ... The only words that came out of my mouth were 'WOW!'. This race was easily an 11/10

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:

If you don't mind me saying, I think you should be banned from watching classics. If you can't watch LBL, we'll obviously have a exciting edition at last. :D

Cannibal72 said:
Gigs_98 said:

If you don't mind me saying, I think you should be banned from watching classics. If you can't watch LBL, we'll obviously have a exciting edition at last. :D

All the Ardennes would be preferred, including the first stages of the Giro in NL! ;)

Re: Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
hrotha said:
If Contador manages to race like Hayman today to earn that cobblestone, then sure.
It was a lottery today.

giphy.gif

Re:

SafeBet said:
I'm just sad thinking how boring the Ardennes could be for the millionth year in a row. Cobbles have been absolutely epic this year. Possibly the best couple of months of my young career as a cycling fan.
Im much more into climbing in the high mountains, stage racing, the anticipation ahead of Tour de France, but this cobbled season has really opened my eyes. It has more or less been only about P-R and Flanders for me in the past and I have sniffed at people for suggesting the season started in Omloop. It obviously starts with Paris-Nice, right? I mean we at least get to see some of the Tour-protagonists. Yes, I'm not a real cycling fan and I enjoy Bore de France, but this classics season was hella great. I can't remember one boring race and P-R was epic.

TRENDING THREADS