• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

13th BinckBank Tour (2.UWT) 7.8 - 13.8

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Seems like a deal, Wellens the stage, Dumoulin leader.

That seems very risky. There is an 8 seconds difference between winning and coming second, and before today their mutual difference was just 11 seconds.

But of course, if he had done the deal, he had done the deal, and he did get rid of a lot of other contenders.

Re: Re:

Netserk said:
Difference being that Sagan lost the race when no neutral service was there. No matter how he would have chased, the GC was lost. Not comparable.

He was also frustrated when he was run over by a motorbike in the Vuelta (when he was in prime position to win the stage). It's when you are the victim of the organizers' incompetence that it's only natural that you get frustrated.
It's natural, but a true sportsman would've chased 110%, hoping to destroy everyone tomorrow. How heroic would that've been? I'm disappointed in Sagan here.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
tobydawq said:
Well, it was a response to a post about Sagan vs. GvA, so it was pretty obviously Sagan he mentioned.

But nevermind that.

I'm just pissed at this race.
What has the race done wrong? Sagan flats./. it's ****, but how can the race do anything about that :lol:

Good point. I edited.

Sorry for my negativity the last few pages. It was a good stage, and I hope others were more able to enjoy it than I was.

RedheadDane said:
But the original post didn't even mention Sagan. It just claimed that any person can avoid punctures by being clear-minded.

Echoes said:
Carrefour de l'Arbre never lies. Van Avermaet was stronger that day, fair and square. Punctures are no bad luck, it's a matter of clear-mindedness.
In P-R, this is actually correct. You cannot avoid them all, but trajectory and style of riding is very important on the cobbles.

According to Tom he was pretty much done for about 5/6km from the line and says Wellens was way stronger. And he's just happy he could hold on and follow. It was still 'kind' of a deal though. He agreed to keep working even though he told Tim he was emtpy.

The deal they made was to keep riding together until the finish, because they both knew they wouldn't stay ahead alone.

Jagartrott said:
Netserk said:
Difference being that Sagan lost the race when no neutral service was there. No matter how he would have chased, the GC was lost. Not comparable.

He was also frustrated when he was run over by a motorbike in the Vuelta (when he was in prime position to win the stage). It's when you are the victim of the organizers' incompetence that it's only natural that you get frustrated.
It's natural, but a true sportsman would've chased 110%, hoping to destroy everyone tomorrow. How heroic would that've been? I'm disappointed in Sagan here.

Did you actually watch the race, Sagan was doing loads of chasing, not much help from those with is, yo come across as a bit ignorant

del1962 said:
Did you actually watch the race, Sagan was doing loads of chasing, not much help from those with is, yo come across as a bit ignorant
Sorry del-boy - I'm not ignorant.
The groups Sagan encountered were dead meat. Riders shed on such a parcours under these weather conditions are of no use to you, the strongest are in front. So expecting help from them is stupid (no teammates there), and getting frustrated because they try to stay with you is equally stupid. They're there because they were not strong enough to follow, so shed them and concentrate only on minimizing the loss. Ultimately, he would've been riding one against two (Wellens - Dumoulin). Dumoulin also concentrated only on himself in that Giro stage, ignored wheelsuckers, and it won him the race (and my immense respect). Sagan had a 'Flanders' stage upcoming, where he should be better than both Wellens and Dumoulin. It was not impossible.

TRENDING THREADS