• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2009 TDF Liggettisms

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 4, 2009
www.cagivaracing.com
Animal said:
Don't complain until you've experienced the idiot Duffield.

At least Ligget has been a cyclist, speaks cyclist speak, understands team tactics, politics, and the goings on in the peloton, and makes an attempt to speak about these things in an adult manner.

Duffield used to spout completely unrelated crap in a vain and rather pathetic attempt to garner interest from channel-hopping viewers of daytime TV.

He was fskcing AWFUL.

Duffers was a cyclist, albeit his machines had three wheels as opposed to two.

http://www.addiscombe.org/features/duffieldcollection/cyclingandmopeds.htm

I'm grateful that Eurosport have gently eased back on his appearances in both the commentary box and studio. Was it during last year's TdF that he described a rider as being 'built like a brick sh1thouse' while live on air (when serving as a guest in the studio with James Richardson)? I certainly DO remember he was wearing a rather brave all-denim outfit, slip-on shoes and white socks, which prompted Mrs Velodrama (not normally known for her interest in professional cycling) to enquire who the odd-looking man was.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Guys, say what you will about Phil and Paul, but I had to listen to Stuart Scott give the rundown on Sportscenter last night, and talk continually about the leader of the tour:

F - ay - bee - en

Can - sha - rella

I still love the classic old Spanish team -

Ill - is, ball - ear - is

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
We should be hearing these soon enough.

Phil

"He's wearing the mask of pain"

"He's thrown a cat amongst the pigeons"

"He's got the bit between the teeth"

Paul

"He's all over his machine"

"And he's popped "

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
The fun way to co-exist with Phil and Paul

It's important that instead of butting your head against a wall one finds a mutually beneficial solution. Tequila! You just down one shot every mix up or Liggettism. That's one shot every time Phil gets his kilograms and kilometres confused, or gets the World TT champion mixed up with the World Road Champion, or just gets riders confused Sylvain Chavanel gets renamed Fabian Cancellerra...

Of course if you want to get really drunk you can add bonus rounds:
Extra Shot for each extraneous mention of Lance Armstrong,
Extra Shot for reminding us Cavendish is from the Isle of Man,
Extra Shot for a catchphrase arbitrarily assigned each stage eg "these bikes aren't designed for going around corners"
Double Shot for saying the exact same thing they said less than two minutes ago.

Using this technique you can find yourself curled up naked in some stranger's suitcase of courage before the first intermediate sprint.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I have a couple of faves from last night.....the one about the train driver being really good....as the train was travelling at the same speed the peleton was, and two after saying it had come over race radio that Evans had rejoined to the peleton, they decided to repeat it, then about 2 minutes later say he hadn't rejoined and was still being drafted back! lol

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
Of course if you want to get really drunk you can add bonus rounds:
Extra Shot for each extraneous mention of Lance Armstrong,
Extra Shot for reminding us Cavendish is from the Isle of Man,
Extra Shot for a catchphrase arbitrarily assigned each stage eg "these bikes aren't designed for going around corners"
Double Shot for saying the exact same thing they said less than two minutes ago.

Add a bonus round for everytime they balls up H T C and you will be passed out before the half way mark!

Another one from the other night "And the team managers will be trying to move their prawns up the leaderboard" ummm guys, if it's a chess comparison you're looking for then I think its pawns :lol:

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
:)

"all armstrong has do is finish for the next yellow jersey..."

forget the breakaway and Nocentini Phil???

and

"Contador wont attack" of course he will, he always does you dum@ss

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
michaeld05 said:
"Contador wont attack" of course he will, he always does you dum@ss

Here it is (at about 3km to go):

"In fact, Alberto Contador will have to finish 18 seconds ahead of Lance to claim the yellow jersey and he won't try to do that."

One of my favorite Phil Ligget moments was from last year's tour during the mountain stage that was won by Simon Gerrans. If I remember correctly on the final climb there was a breakaway group of four riders in front on the climb, one of which was Egoi Martinez from the Euskaltel team. Following them on the road was the yellow jersey group which also contained another Euskaltel rider.

The video feed had been switching back and forth rapidly between the two groups. At one point the camera switched groups to show a Euskatel rider climbing hard out of the saddle. Phil immediately went into Vesuvius mode "Martinez has gone again!". Meanwhile the camera slowly pans back, as Paul gently tells Phil that instead this is the other Euskaltel rider being dropped from the yellow jersey group.

My all time favorite Phil moments are still hearing him call field sprint finishes featuring everyone's favorite cycling tongue twister, Djamolidine Abdoujaparov!

I have to admit I was beginning to get really sick about all the LA farandula around versus, specially Bob Roll who really won't even try to hide his discontent towards AC today, but in the other hand I have to give it to Phil because although he roots for Lance, he's the only one that showed some objectivity today when he reffered about AC attack, that showed me that maybe he's not as dumb as we might think, he wants all LA fans as well as AC fans.

Nice work today Phil

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Last night three men were in a group. All different colours, may as well have been red green and yellow. Took 4 guesses to get it right, thats one more guess than men in the group.

I was stoked with that. That takes some guts.

I was happy to know where 70 extra labourers are used at harvest time, shame we did not get to see the much heralded Pyreneean Vultures. Sherwin is giving his best tour to date IMO with that official fact book. Man I was so looking forward to those black miniature ponies too.

Phil does so many other broadcasts that you can hear in the background, Paul is left to blabber alone. Cracks me up when Phil forgets which mic is live. Does it 90% of the time.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Liggett and Sherwin lost it a few years ago - they are a sad parody of themselves these days. I'll stick with David Harman and the brilliant Sean Kelly on Eurosport.

I like Phil and Paul but agree with count jim. David has a great sense of humor and Sean has brilliant insights to the races. Sean was a great rider and is now a great commentator.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
These guys are the worst, except for everyone else.

This is my 20 year of TDF bcasts and while there's plenty to complain about with Phil and Paul, they are synonymous with the tour.
Who would you prefer?

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I couldnt live without my yearly dose of P1 and P2. Ive listened to Phil for over 20 years and he hasnt changed his style one bit.

Its been a pretty boring week as far as the Ps go but then so has the tour. A nice warm up but nothing spectacular.

he was better pre Armstron era

now they are shills for Versus and Armstrong, which I completely understand. Its probably better to turn the sound off when watching the race, decide for yourself what is happening. American coverage of tennis is equally crappy, talk happy, with lots of error ridden analysis and micro analysis of any tiny little change. The versus team would work better with at least one woman involved. The best stage to watch so far was when Contador attacked, Liggett was wrong wrong wrong, funny wrong, watchable wrong, so not sure what to think, bad Liggett is good television?