• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France - stage 3: Orchies - Boulogne-sur-Mer (197km)

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
And get outsprinted by Sagan like the other "smart" people in the peloton?

I thought Tour stage wins were prestigious, but apparently only Chava and Sagan care.

So Popo, Voigt, Monfort and the others on RSNT don't care by riding at the front all day?

I loved it when Kathusa massed near the front, but would not pull through and Popo turned a gave them a mouthful.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
Samuel Sanchez finished 8th, his form seems to be rising.

Also, now we know for sure who's the best on these finishes between Edvald and Peter.

Edvald to Peter is like Cavendish to Farrar. He's the guy you always see behind the winner.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Coramoor said:
Well Ryder is wearing the 61(not an indicator of anything but I think it was said pre race that he was their guy). VDV is awesome but a little old at this point for the tour, especially with 100km of tting and him not being the best of the best at it

VDV took a hit today, but I still think a top ten is possible. He is no slouch in a TT and seems to really be on form.

Can't help feeling Ryder will fade 3rd week, but the inevitable Garmin Top ten should still be within reach.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
parameter

Sagan totally chilling, everyone else dying :p

lol it's hilarious.

sagan is a legend... we are so lucky to have contador, canc, tom and peter!

UlleGigo said:
Truly impressive.

Truly repulsive.

The arrogance and disrespect for his competitors that Sagan has displayed during these two TdF stage wins is regrettable. There's winning in style, and then there's winning in the arrogant style of Riccò, who was the last rider to display this much open contempt for his rivals.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Edvald to Peter is like Cavendish to Farrar. He's the guy you always see behind the winner.

Really ? How many times they raced this year ? Not many except MSR and Tour.

And EBH beat Sagan at Tirreno ;)

However I think we know who's stronger on this type of finishes. On flat, EBH is faster imo.

Galic Ho said:
uMad? Don't be. I'm not, just confused at why people don't think if you're milking the rules you're technically cheating others.

I mean seriously, don't people get that your mentality and outlook are very important in how a GC rider fares? You shouldn't be looking for chances to not work if you want to win yellow. Evans learnt that lesson the hard way. Wiggins? I don't think he has yet.
People don't get it. Wiggins needs to pay his dues, and that's the main reason he's not a favorite in my book. At some point, the race is going to catch up with him and there will not be 3km rule to protect him. Hopefully the guys (Evans, Nibali, Valverde, Sanchez, etc) who know what it takes to win the Tour will finish first.

ps: I was mad for a second :)

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
maltiv said:
parameter

Sagan totally chilling, everyone else dying :p

LOL. That pic says it all.

I feel bad for EBH, he has been supergood so far but is totally overshadowed by Sagan. He missed the corner but still came 2nd with some margin - 10 meters behind Sagan of course. EBH has some tough years ahead of him in Sagan's shadow.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
stefrees said:
Great to see the anti sky brigade out in force. I think the tea were all a bit emotional after what happened to siutsov (see froome being emotional in post race interview saying he broke his leg). Wiggins also lost quite a bit of ground on that corner that chavanel nearly went into the photographer through no fault of his own. And if you seethe overhead, wiggins tried to go round but had to unclip.

Some will see what they want to see

More importantly hope Rojas and siutsov are ok

Bahahaha. So what number did they give you? Be honest, all the Sky fanboys here have numbers for the line. Good to see them being objective once again. Then again, if I called you guys what you really are you'd get all mad and so would the mods.

Keep it real and don't squirm when your number gets called.

BTW, look at the picture Arnout posted. Wiggins had 10 guys in front of him to the left of the picture. They all diverted their racing line to avoid the crash. Wiggins didn't. He was poorly placed and milked the situation. Anyone here on the forum could easily have missed that crash given his placement. But you go on not questioning. It's how the fanboy cheer squad works. Total unwavering belief. Team UK showing their uber awesomeness once again. This Tour is going to be GOLD in terms of viewing.:p

At least Chavanel, Sagan, Morkov and Grivko made a go of it.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Truly repulsive.

The arrogance and disrespect for his competitors that Sagan has displayed during these two TdF stage wins is regrettable. There's winning in style, and then there's winning in the arrogant style of Riccò, who was the last rider to display this much open contempt for his rivals.

actually i prefer the riccos, peters, vdb, cipos and cavs than joe papps, hincapies, landis, heras, maios, lances, tylers etc. what do you think, joe?

sagan is really legendary, isn't he?

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Rocksteady said:
VDV took a hit today, but I still think a top ten is possible. He is no slouch in a TT and seems to really be on form.

Can't help feeling Ryder will fade 3rd week, but the inevitable Garmin Top ten should still be within reach.

It really depends, with Evans as the main man, his odds are better to do better due to Evans racing the same climbing style

May 23, 2010
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Truly repulsive.

Oh get over yourself. The guy is having fun doing what he loves.

joe_papp said:
Truly repulsive.

Emperor Mario says.......

cipo-crop-670-75.jpg

........proceed

joe_papp said:
Truly repulsive.

He's just having a laugh. Surely if he has the time to celebrate like this, it's the problem of his opponents, not of himself.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Trofinios said:

I feel bad for EBH, he has been supergood so far but is totally overshadowed by Sagan. He missed the corner but still came 2nd with some margin - 10 meters behind Sagan of course. EBH has some tough years ahead of him in Sagan's shadow.

edvald is a guy for smaller classics. sagan is a guy for monuments. huge difference.

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Taaramäe's blog about today is quite interesting but I don't have time to translate it because I'm going to watch the FootballEuropean U19 Championships held in my country. If anyone cares enough, I can do it later. But basically he fell in one of the crashes, blames a few guys for the finish crash (not naming anybody tho), says that Remy di Gregorio was fantastic for him today and thinks that his legs worked very well overally.

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Really ? How many times they raced this year ? Not many except MSR and Tour.

And EBH beat Sagan at Tirreno ;)

However I think we know who's stronger on this type of finishes. On flat, EBH is faster imo.

Sagan is unbeatable on a finish like that, it seems that EBH doesn't have much of a sprint when he's on his limit beforehand. I agree that EBH is faster in a flat sprint, so a few KMs of flat after a steep climb and he could beat Sagan from a reduced group. Should set up a nice rivalry for the next while.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Truly repulsive.

Whatever man! He is showing no contempt for his rivals...that is all on you. If they don't like the celebration...beat him. Truly repulsive crap should stay in the clinic.

joe_papp said:
Truly repulsive.

WTF Joe, chill out! He's just enjoying his victories! It's not disrespectful... he's a delight to watch.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Trofinios said:

I feel bad for EBH, he has been supergood so far but is totally overshadowed by Sagan. He missed the corner but still came 2nd with some margin - 10 meters behind Sagan of course. EBH has some tough years ahead in Sagan's shadow.

He'll be fine. He won two stages last year and almost won a third. My bad...his team lost Sivtsov and he won't get the luxury of stage hunting. WHen put that way maybe he is not doing so well.

Oh wait...he did choose to leave HTC for Sky and when they stated their objective last season of acquiring Cav, he still stayed. His fault. Plenty of team would take him and give him better support. Stage wise, he's just gotta be in the right place this year and hope in the second week he is allowed to go off hunting.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Bahahaha. So what number did they give you? Be honest, all the Sky fanboys here have numbers for the line. Good to see them being objective once again. Then again, if I called you guys what you really are you'd get all mad and so would the mods.

Keep it real and don't squirm when your number gets called.

BTW, look at the picture Arnout posted. Wiggins had 10 guys in front of him to the left of the picture. They all diverted their racing line to avoid the crash. Wiggins didn't. He was poorly placed and milked the situation. Anyone here on the forum could easily have missed that crash given his placement. But you go on not questioning. It's how the fanboy cheer squad works. Total unwavering belief. Team UK showing their uber awesomeness once again. This Tour is going to be GOLD in terms of viewing.:p

At least Chavanel, Sagan, Morkov and Grivko made a go of it.

Not for the first time, I'm not going to lower myself to your level with a dignified response

May 23, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:
People don't get it. Wiggins needs to pay his dues, and that's the main reason he's not a favorite in my book. At some point, the race is going to catch up with him and there will not be 3km rule to protect him. Hopefully the guys (Evans, Nibali, Valverde, Sanchez, etc) who know what it takes to win the Tour will finish first.

ps: I was mad for a second :)

I wouldn't worry. When the likes of Samu go on the mountains Wiggins will be spat out the back so fast those silly little peach fuzz sideburns of his will be blown clean off.