• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France - stage 3: Orchies - Boulogne-sur-Mer (197km)

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Truly repulsive.

The arrogance and disrespect for his competitors that Sagan has displayed during these two TdF stage wins is regrettable. There's winning in style, and then there's winning in the arrogant style of Riccò, who was the last rider to display this much open contempt for his rivals.

Why do you expect that 22 years old kid will celebrate in the same style as 35 years old guys? He just wants to have some fun. You would be surprices how humble and modest is this guy. This year is like a big party for him - so lets celebrate ... Who knows what will be next year.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
Edvald has 39 professional victories over 4,5 seasons. Not like he doesn't win much. But yeah, Sagan will definitely cause him a lot of headache in the future.

If I were EBH I'd change teams(not that Sky has been bad for him, but he does play second fiddle a bit too much) and avoid any race Sagan goes to except the important ones(classics, Olympics and WC).

I'd rather do the Giro and Vuelta than get second in a Tour stage behind Sagan. But that may just be me.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Truly repulsive.

The arrogance and disrespect for his competitors that Sagan has displayed during these two TdF stage wins is regrettable. There's winning in style, and then there's winning in the arrogant style of Riccò, who was the last rider to display this much open contempt for his rivals.

Open contempt? You're *****ing about Sagan demonstrating his clear superiority when at the same time the race favorite has been gapped on a selective climb and intentionally rides into a pileup to sneak back those seconds he had lost, and you think Sagan is the one displaying contempt?

joe_papp said:
Truly repulsive.

sorry for party rocking!!!
sorryforpartyrockinggifs4.gif

Meanwhile...

- Nico Roche: Not happy with commisaires putting every one in same time. I dont think every one was caugh behind that crash at 500m. Not fair.

- Gesink says his cut left knee is 'nothing to worry about'

-JJ Rojas broke his collarbone in 3 places, he's mad he can't continue

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
People don't get it. Wiggins needs to pay his dues, and that's the main reason he's not a favorite in my book. At some point, the race is going to catch up with him and there will not be 3km rule to protect him. Hopefully the guys (Evans, Nibali, Valverde, Sanchez, etc) who know what it takes to win the Tour will finish first.

ps: I was mad for a second :)
I kind of agree. With positioning like on today's and Sunday's stages, Wiggins is lucky if he can get through the first week without any time loss. It's brilliant that Sky can have 4 riders breathing through their noses when 90% of the peloton is dropped in the mountains, but they need to up their game on the flat stages.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
People don't get it. Wiggins needs to pay his dues, and that's the main reason he's not a favorite in my book. At some point, the race is going to catch up with him and there will not be 3km rule to protect him. Hopefully the guys (Evans, Nibali, Valverde, Sanchez, etc) who know what it takes to win the Tour will finish first.

ps: I was mad for a second :)

You pretty much summed up what I was trying to state.

Everything catches up eventually. Tomorrow, in a week, in a month. You slack off, you ease up when you should be working, it will catch up with you and if someone remembers what you've done and wants to punish you, then you'll get smacked.

Remember Evans wheel change in 2009 in the Vuelta? Sanchez had already fallen back that day. Valverde and Gesink (I think he was still in the race at the time) punished them. Evans never got that lost time back. These guys will not wait for Brad on another day. You should never bank on the race commissares. He needs to get his placement near the end of stages sorted out. Should have been right next to EBH.

joe_papp said:
Truly repulsive.

As boring Sagan is off his saddle as brilliant is he on it - and that go with his celebrations as well.

joe_papp said:
Truly repulsive.

How come is a tribute to cross country skiing showing "contempt for his rivals"?

Great win, great victory salute - I like riders that bring celebration to another level (when having time to do it). Loved Sastres pacifier, Cavendish's bunny hop, Flechas shooting arrow etc. - and Sagan is a prankster (just look at him doing a non-handed wheelie at Angliru). Take the fun, will you?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
goggalor said:
I kind of agree. With positioning like on today's and Sunday's stages, Wiggins is lucky if he can get through the first week without any time loss. It's brilliant that Sky can have 4 riders breathing through their noses when 90% of the peloton is dropped in the mountains, but they need to up their game on the flat stages.

I wonder if Phil and Paul said anything about the Brits poor position...If that had been Berto...they would have been all over him like a cheap suit! Saying how smart Armstrong was etc. Me thinks Wiggins has a lot to learn...hehe

Regarding Garmin's leader, David Millar seemed to find it funny when he was asked who the team leader was. and replied it was Hesjedal. Dont know if that was nervousness because it wasnt Hesjedal or whether it obviously was Hesjedal.

Anyway, feel sorry for VDV, he had that year (2010) where he failed to reach the host country in either the Giro or Tour and back in 2009 he had a bad injury before the Tour. Hasnt had much luck since his result in 2008. Can still do well overall though.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
Meanwhile...

- Nico Roche: Not happy with commisaires putting every one in same time. I dont think every one was caugh behind that crash at 500m. Not fair.

- Gesink says his cut left knee is 'nothing to worry about'

Gesink was too far in the back. I think he would have lost some time (8-10s or so) unrelated to the crash.

My thoughts:

The 3km rule is to avoid adding injuries to injuries. More specifically, the peloton does not benefit from a ragtag scramble to the line as it recovers from a crash; that would just be more dangerous. Lets say Wiggans and co. swerved out and took out other riders? Not a better solution. With the rule in place, there probably is less urgency for those caught behind to really give an honest effort all the way in (you know, all of that last 0.01% of the stage). But its safer, and that is the deliberate position behind the rule. To say it is laziness and cheating is a disrespect to the athletes.

On Sagan, its much easier coming in first than in second. That is to say, the way you feel after the accomplishment, as opposed to fighting and realizing (physical) failure, is the difference between his dance and EBH and Velits pain face. Sports psychology stuff: your best effort will feel easier than a struggle to hang on. Don't condemn him to the clinic so fast.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
TatryTour2013 said:
Why do you expect that 22 years old kid will celebrate in the same style as 35 years old guys? He just wants to have some fun. You would be surprices how humble and modest is this guy. This year is like a big party for him - so lets celebrate ... Who knows what will be next year.

Didn't he just win a porsche? :D

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Gesink was too far in the back. I think he would have lost some time (8-10s or so) unrelated to the crash.

Was stuck behind the crash of Boeckmans, had to swerve to the right. His knee bled because he fell over Koen de Kort at 30 (approx) km to go, but its nothing serious and he laughed about it.

http://nos.nl/video/391046-valpartij-op-smalle-strook.html
-- zoomed in at 18 seconds shows Gesink falling very lightly.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
stefrees said:
Not for the first time, I'm not going to lower myself to your level with a dignified response

Only pointing out Sky's weaknesses. I said Rogers and Porte were weak. They haven't been strong have they? EBH and Sivtsov are the class so far domestique wise and one isn't racing. Need I say more? Get over it, Garmin had a horrible day. So did Argos and Europcar. But only the Sky fanboys, who over hyped Wiggins for months cannot have their team mentioned, albeit when GC talk is the business and flavour of the forum. Hypocrisy, look it up. Oh and do you want me to mail you some tissues? My bad, you'll be using them at the team bus won't you...already got a supply. Use them wisely.:eek:

Gloin22 said:
BBC report Siutsou broke his leg

Froome confirmed it too in interview .... Season over for him.

damn i knew it when i saw that he can't stay on his feet,...extremely bad news...he's such a powerhouse

cineteq said:
He's our fearless hero!

he's slowly turning even myself into a fan,because of the celebrations too :)

maltiv said:
parameter

Sagan totally chilling, everyone else dying :p

totally cool

joe_papp said:
Truly repulsive.

sagan's wins are boring can't be compared to the mighty spectacular cobra
nothing arogant about sagan.at all
ricco was born with arrogance which made him such a legend.bad or good,it's up to you.

and for your little insinuations, i see lots of awesome enhanced riders in the peloton but few who can do things like sagan does.

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Frosty said:
Regarding Garmin's leader, David Millar seemed to find it funny when he was asked who the team leader was. and replied it was Hesjedal. Dont know if that was nervousness because it wasnt Hesjedal or whether it obviously was Hesjedal.

Anyway, feel sorry for VDV, he had that year (2010) where he failed to reach the host country in either the Giro or Tour and back in 2009 he had a bad injury before the Tour. Hasnt had much luck since his result in 2008. Can still do well overall though.

well they did announce going into the tour that Hesjedal was the leader, So I'm a little unsure why everyone seems to think that it was TD or VDV

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Kazistuta said:
How come is a tribute to cross country skiing showing "contempt for his rivals"?

Great win, great victory salute - I like riders that bring celebration to another level (when having time to do it). Loved Sastres pacifier, Cavendish's bunny hop, Flechas shooting arrow etc. - and Sagan is a prankster (just look at him doing a non-handed wheelie at Angliru). Take the fun, will you?

People want to see a close contest. To me, it translated like "just a walk in park" in the face of his competitors.

Fans part hard from tradition. Two arms up is the tradition.

Cav has leaned to tone it down some. As with Sagan, it just his age.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Frosty said:

He has been the team Captain on the road and helps everyone else. 2010 he was arguably the team leader, but in 2009 he worked for Wiggins, 2010 he crashed twice and the team salvaged something with Ryder and last year they all worked for Tommy D. This year he's worked for Ryder at the Giro, despite the fact he loathes the race because of his crashes there and will undoubtedy once again work for whatever goal Vaughters comes up with.

Probably be helping Tommy D, Hesjedal and Dan Martin.