• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Milan-San Remo, Mar 23rd (294 Km)

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 4, 2013
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
Between Nibali's attack and last km
-His great descent of course
-The Nibali chase, at a certain moment he got almost a full minute ahead
-Enter the poggio!
-Nibali caught
-Rast attack (Canc lieutenant!)
-That one Italian attacks (forgot his name)
-Most disappointing part: no big names follow
-Well, Gilbert tries, at least
-But in the meantime, it is never boring, it is always really exciting to see who can hang on, who gets dropped.
-For example: Greipel gets dropped, is able to catch up again during descent, but gets dropped again just after
-Attack GVA
-Everything (group of 20) together
-WTF, final k already :eek:

This is how I underwent the final of this race. I am sorry if it was boring for you, but I definitely liked it.

Very much the same, here - how it went for me. And yeah, this is such a long race ... only the toughest and the one with enough wits left in the end, wins. Definitely not boring. But I did not think this was going to be Sagan's or a day for the favorites. By the end, I was very happy for Kristoff - deserving winner and great ride - also by the other Katusha rider up front - Luca Paolini, was it?

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully, now that he has won Milan-San Remo, Katusha will start giving Kristoff the support he needs to pick up stages in stage races, rather than forcing him to do it all on his own.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Sagan

Sagan wouldn't win even without that Stybar's move, way too slow (he'd be maybe top5, but who would care). He siply wasn't a favorite for sprint, lost his top-sprint in favour of endurance. Wevelgem '13, Montreal '13 (Ronde '13 and Strade Bianche '14 very similar, though without win) - sprint is not his biggest weapon anymore. So personally no problem with this outcome. If Cav is able to hang on = not a race hard enough for Sagan.

Kristoff great win! Really enjoyed it!

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm waiting for Sagan's impressions. Not exactly the result and ride everybody expected.
Did we already know that Kristoff has humongous engine?
To finish such a long race, in weather conditions like they were today, with that convincing sprint, you have to posses extraordinary endurance ability coupled with superior explosiveness.
He presented himself today like a candidate for the Classics' ruler.

Red Rick said:
I'm really wondering what could have happened if Nibali had attacked on the Poggio

same question as why did pantani attacked on cipressa and not on poggio in 1999?
he could have get 10 seconds maximum and brought back in the last kms in my opnion.
of course "if"

congrats to kristoff, deserved winner. paolini rode like a beast

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I really must say Canc's new tactic, because he's tired of schlepping better sprinters to the finish, really paid off! ;-) I can't understand why anyone would find this years' edition boring. Nibali's attack on cipressa, his descent, lots of small attacks towards the end, Kristoffs massive win, no, this years edition was entirely satisfactory.

LAPR1500_mediagallery-page.jpg

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
After Cavendish defeat today- can we conclude that his 09 victory was a fluke?:D

For someone not scheduled to do this race a month ago and on a slow season start I think he did remarkably well and no to the original question.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Jspear said:
No he was simply stronger back then. That was probably one of his greatest years.

I sure was surprised by today's results. I'm happy for him, but man!- I wish Cav had won. Fabian with another podium...

Cavendish is on the decline :D

Todays fail of Sagan has nothing to do with tactics or the mental pressure on him to win the first Monument. He just does not have the lags for races >250 km yet.
In AGR and MSR 2012 he was not marked and he could relax in peloton. Last year MSR was considerebly shorten.

Last year in AGR he was in the top form ( 4 days after brutal win in Brabantse Pijl ) but he finished out of gas in the finale.

No tragedy he is still so young.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
opqs were the big losers today. after all the hype about how strong they are, they just got ridden off. all of them.

apparently, the trick to beating them is to ride really fast for 300km.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
spanky wanderlust said:
opqs were the big losers today. after all the hype about how strong they are, they just got ridden off. all of them.

apparently, the trick to beating them is to ride really fast for 300km.

How so? Cav and Stybar were both there in the group which sprinted it out?? They got 5 & 7 which might be a disappointment for them, but a lot of teams would probably be happy with such a result

Kristoff has won the bunch sprint in all the long classics he has done since summer 2012.

- Won the sprint for 3rd Olympic road race (2012)
- Won the sprint for 8th in MSR (2013)
- Won the sprint for 4th in RVV (2013)
- Won the sprint for 9th in P-R (2013)
- Won the sprint for 1st in MSR (2014)

The guy is pretty much unbeatable in a sprint after 250+ km.

maltiv said:
Kristoff has won the bunch sprint in all the long classics he has done since summer 2012.

Yep, this seems to be his sweet spot. Now Katusha needs to continue to try and control the race in the upcoming classics. More big results might be on the cards.

Dazed and Confused said:
Yep, this seems to be his sweet spot. Now Katusha needs to continue to try and control the race in the upcoming classics. More big results might be on the cards.
Unfortunately they only have Paolini who's strong enough to be there at the end in the classics. In the future he could also win races like RVV, but then he needs to have a stronger team than Katusha is today imo.

maltiv said:

Too bad for him that Vattenfall Cyclassics 2013 was only 249,9 kilometres.

the constant rain and cold took its toll on the riders. on the Poggio nobody could make the difference. and on the Cipressa just Nibali tried his chance. I was surprised no other was trying to bridge to him.
great 3rd for Swifty, he started his sprint way back and had to go round some riders.
let's see if next year they add Pompeiana or bring back the Manie